Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AI purchase routine

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> AI purchase routine Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AI purchase routine - 9/28/2000 7:36:00 AM   
Dean Robb

Does the AI look at the player's purchase and use that to influence it's choices? I ask because in 8 battles, the Brits had nary an ack-ack gun but as soon as I bought a strike element, the AI bought *14* 40mm guns. Thank Mars I was arty-heavy and could suppress the crap outa the AA or my Stukas would have been lawn darts. But it struck me as odd that he only seemed to get AA guns when I had planes. And...this is a subjective opinion...it *seems* that when I'm heavy in AT, the AI is heavy in infantry and vice versa. Reason for it, or just strange synchronicity?

Job Security: Being a Micro$oft lawyer...
Post #: 1
- 9/28/2000 8:27:00 AM   
Wild Bill

A politicial answer for you, Dean, I can't confirm or deny this, but I have seen the same thing. Buy a lot of mines, the AI buys a bunch of engineers . Same with aircraft and AA guns. Did you see the post from the gamer who had a bunch of airplanes, like about 25 and the AA shot nearly all of them down. Something strange here ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Dean Robb)
Post #: 2
- 9/28/2000 1:58:00 PM   
cjpaul

As far as planes and AA goes, I have been pretty good at predicting when I need AA or not. If you can buy planes then your opponent can't. If you can't, your opponent probably can if the weather isn't too bad. Check the map, time of year, and the visibility and that will be a good indicator if planes are available or not. The computer almost always buys planes if they are available. For mines and engineers, the computer always has engineers when it assaults and mines when it defends.

(in reply to Dean Robb)
Post #: 3
- 9/28/2000 7:59:00 PM   
Charles22

I've only vaguely noticed the mine/engineer connection. The AA/air connection though may not be a matter of the AI seeing your forces. It could be as simple as this: If you can't buy air, the other guy can. The AI may not be seeing your forces, but realises that when it cannot buy any, that you can, so it buys AA. If you buy air every time it's available, and AI buys AA every time he knows you have air available (without looking at your forces), it could easily fool you as to thinking he looks at your forces. I don't know if it's an absolute that if you don't have air available, that the other guy does, nor if the AI will always pick air if it's available to him. My guess is that one side always has air available, but that the AI doesn't always pick it. As well, the AI will always pick AA when it knows that's since it cannot pick it air, that you can. [This message has been edited by Charles22 (edited September 28, 2000).]

(in reply to Dean Robb)
Post #: 4
- 9/28/2000 8:05:00 PM   
Fredde

I have seldom seen a scenario where the AI didn't pick any AA guns at all. They are often deployed in the rear, and often in places with bad visibility so sometimes you won't even see them in play.

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

(in reply to Dean Robb)
Post #: 5
- 9/29/2000 12:45:00 AM   
Voriax

Howdy all This interested me so I did some *very* crude tests...if someone has more time and is less tired please enlarge.... I generated 3x5 random battles. Ger vs Russians, settings as they are when you enter the battle generator. Meeting engagements. In the first set I purchased an Infantry Company and a Cavalry squadron. I did not observe what was the purchase point amount in each case, I just made sure I had enough to buy abovementioned formations. Then I hit autodeploy, started the game and immediately saved. Then I loaded the game and took the russian side that was computer-purchased and examined what the computer had bought. Each time Russians had one infantry company, with some variance in details (type of mg's) The additional units were: 1) 2 x 37mm AA guns, 76,2 mm FH 2) 15 tanks, 152 mm Btry 3) 2 x 85 mm AA 4) 13 tanks, 152mm Btry, 3 rifle squads 5) 2 x Gaz-4M AA, 11 tanks, 152mm Btry In some cases there may have been an odd sniper or such but those where uninteresting. Quite a variety or what? Then I continued with same troops except I spent 50 points for mines which I placed on the map. Russians again always had the Rifle company, other units were: 1) 152mm Btry, 34 Tanks, Rifle Company 2) 152mm Btry, 35 tanks, Rifle Company 3) 2 x 37mm AA, 152mm Btry 4) 152mm Btry, 15 tanks, 2 rifle squads 5) Identical to number 4 interesting? There were some variance about which tanks the computer purchased, but they were always from the BT or T-26 series. However there were no masses of engineers even though I had mines. Final test this time was different only in the composition of my troops, all tanks this time. Two platoons of Pz-IIf's and nothing else. Again russians had their Rifle Company every time. Other units: 1) 2 x Gaz-4M AA, 152mm Btry, 11 tanks, 2 rifle squads. 2) 2 x Gaz-4M AA, 152mm Btry, 29 tanks, rifle company, 2 rifle squads 3) 152mm Btry, 12 tanks, 3 rifle squads 4) 2 x 37mm AA, 5 x rifle squad 5) 2 x Gaz-4M AA, 152mm btry, 28 tanks, rifle company, 2 rifle squads Which one you'd like to meet? Number 4 or number 2? For me it seems that the computer does not peek, but this is a very small sample. Perhaps good only for fueling the discussion? Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to Dean Robb)
Post #: 6
- 9/29/2000 12:58:00 AM   
Charles22

It would seem as though the AI is fairly in love with AA, and given that no air was chosen, seems to back the idea that it "always" picks some AA.

(in reply to Dean Robb)
Post #: 7
- 9/29/2000 8:59:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Nicely done Voriax! Nothing like hard facts to rebut conjecture. Thanks...WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Dean Robb)
Post #: 8
- 9/29/2000 7:38:00 PM   
Panther

It seems to that the only time the computer buys engineers is when the computer does an attack on prepared defenses. When the computer defends it tends to buy more aa guns weather I buy planes or not. Panther

(in reply to Dean Robb)
Post #: 9
- 9/29/2000 8:06:00 PM   
Charles22

I believe Voriax's tests were all meeting engagements, were they not? I would think that a major stipulation for AI engineers would be that they wouldn't be picked for those type of battles, because unless I'm mistaken, meeting engagements don't allow mine purchases, and if so, the purchase of them is unlikely. The best engineer test of course would be when the AI is assaulting, in particular, or perhaps in advances as well. We may find that engineers are picked 100% of the time for assaults and a much lower chance in advances (if at all).

(in reply to Dean Robb)
Post #: 10
- 9/29/2000 8:12:00 PM   
Kharan

quote:

Originally posted by Charles22: I would think that a major stipulation for AI engineers would be that they wouldn't be picked for those type of battles, because unless I'm mistaken, meeting engagements don't allow mine purchases, and if so, the purchase of them is unlikely. [/B]
You can buy mines in meeting engagements and even place them mid-battle. You can for example at the start of a battle air-drop an engineer platoon at a important location and place roads full of mines and then assume defensive positions in nearby houses .

(in reply to Dean Robb)
Post #: 11
- 9/29/2000 8:21:00 PM   
Arralen

quote:

Originally posted by Kharan: You can buy mines in meeting engagements and even place them mid-battle.
.but you needn't. Engineers lay mines when set to "defend" & "lay mines in front", no matter if you purchased mine at the start of the battle or not .. or was this changed in v4.0 again .. haven't had time to test Arralen

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
Windows 8.1

(in reply to Dean Robb)
Post #: 12
- 9/29/2000 8:29:00 PM   
Kharan

quote:

Originally posted by Arralen: .but you needn't. Engineers lay mines when set to "defend" & "lay mines in front", no matter if you purchased mine at the start of the battle or not .. or was this changed in v4.0 again .. haven't had time to test Arralen
Yeah, you're right. I didn't know that! Looks like it's 4 mines (mine icons that is) per eng squad. You don't necessarily need to be in defend to lay mines.

(in reply to Dean Robb)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> AI purchase routine Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI