Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

computer player purchasing units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> computer player purchasing units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
computer player purchasing units - 9/27/2000 1:53:00 AM   
RaidR

I've been playing the WO2 generated campaign for a while and I've enjoyed it so far, but I think the battles are getting somewhat too long lasting. I changed the battle points from the default value 3000 to 800 and started a new campaign. The smaller battles were much more interesting, but after a few battles I noticed that the computer player hardly bought any tanks or vehicles, only masses of infantery and artillery. This is somewhat dissapointing because the 2nd World War strategy was all about Blitzkrieg and tanks. Is there any way I can chance the buying behavior of the computer player?

Post #: 1
- 9/27/2000 2:11:00 AM   
Sgt. Rick

I am finding the same thing. I am playing a WWII campaign and the computer buys a a couple platoons of tanks, company or 2 of infantry and then GOBS of artillery! I look over the battlefield and I see 'patterns' of smoke from all the arty pieces!

(in reply to RaidR)
Post #: 2
- 9/27/2000 2:15:00 AM   
Charles22

I believe Paul can give you the purchase routine, but in any case, if you assigned me with only 800 pts., I too would barely pick any tanks. If my force were German in '39, if I picked five measley PZIVCs, that would half of my 800 pts! If you're playing 800 pts. later than '39, the number of tanks you see will be even more rare.

(in reply to RaidR)
Post #: 3
- 9/27/2000 2:54:00 AM   
Warhorse

Raidr, this is the reason I buy all the AI's forces in a campaign now!! I got tired of the same adversaries time and again, and also no chance of some equipment ever being used!! No slight against the game, just a limitation I work around, I had posted awhile back, a way to do this, if you don't already? If you can't find it with a search for 'campaign', or anything, drop me a line at mikea@matrixgames.com, and I'll let you know how to do it. ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to RaidR)
Post #: 4
- 9/27/2000 5:03:00 PM   
RaidR

Thanks for the advice Warhorse, chancing the AI's units works great, I even made a program to automize the file renaming Still it would be nice if the AI was able to pick his own organised forces. Letting him choose between infantery/mechanised/armor forces like in Combat mission for example, so that the AI will always use a fixed percentage of his points for a certain unit class. Perhaps this is something for a future patch? btw. Charles: I am playing german in '39 with only 800 base battle points and true troop cost on, I still have a reasonable force: 3 x pzkpfw1b 4 x pzkpfw35(t) 2 x pzkpfwIIIe (for historical accuracy) 4 x GE rifle squads 3 x recon team 2 x sdfkz 221 2 x recon team (to be replaced with spec ops) 1 x kuebelwagen This makes the battles a lot shorter and more tactical in my opinion. And in later years the AI will get more points to work with, right?

(in reply to RaidR)
Post #: 5
- 9/27/2000 9:18:00 PM   
Charles22

RaidR: For the life of me I wish I could determine what size force is the best for the amount of terrain covered, but I definitely don't think 800 pts. covers five objective clusters, than with nothing more than thin battles. If the enemy only had to defend one or two objective clusters, I'm sure 800 pts. would do just fine. There's two sides to this argument. For example we like to usually think in terms of what we feel comfortable with, but are we getting the most out of what the playing surfaces dictate? Perhaps we should more often think in terms of what the enemy is more comfortable with. Can the surfaces we play on, be countered more successfully by the AI with a minmum or maximum force, having to guard five clusters, all complete with possible 'timed' objective clusters and 'exit' hexes? I say 800 isn't enough to defend. Bear in mind RaidR, that when you attack the AI, he is getting LESS then 800; maybe even as little 200 (assuming assaults have a 4-to-1 ratio [I don't remember]). You can try playing with so small a force, but I don't think you're really getting any real depth from it that way. IMO the game wasn't designed to be played with covering so much territory with so little. Scenarios are different, because you can make only one objective cluster and I'm sure the AI would do just as well as it might with the 3200 pts. I start out with in campaigns. On the last question, if you've left the size of the forces at default, your 800 pts. limits the AI. Only when you exceed 800, will it. As you campaign and get more expensive units, the AI will as well, but, since his units are becoming more expensive to buy, you're unlikely to see more tanks unless you run into a nation with really cheap stuff.

(in reply to RaidR)
Post #: 6
- 9/27/2000 10:35:00 PM   
Jon Grasham

hmm, in 2.3, I had a campaign running, started with 5400 points! :-) Then again, im nuts, and enjoy having a nice battalion sized unit. :-) (against Soviets with true troop costs on, I NEVER had to worry about outnumbering them, since their units were costing about 2/5s normal. :-) Even on an assault, I was often outnumbered. It was great!

?

(in reply to RaidR)
Post #: 7
- 9/27/2000 11:46:00 PM   
Charles22

Jon: I never play with true troop costs, because I want every bit of the battle to reflect history as highly as I can manage it. If I play as the Ruskies, I really have to deal with decreased firing ability, and have to make adjustments to try to increase it by other means (by a few more ATGs in support). It does sound fascinating though to face an enemy in an assault where he has MORE stuff. As well, I would find it somewhat fascinating to play with what is in many cases superior German arms, but fight with sub-par crews. As it stands now, say playing a campaign as Gerry, I can pick elites, average, or second-line troops in many cases even without true troop costs, but unfortunately for the time being, all those squads cost the same, so there's no reason to go with second-line troops unless you're wanting to recreate something. I personally like to have mostly average stuff, and one or two elite platoons (though I believe almost all the Gerry tanks are elite in '39), and I would find it fascinating cost-wise to have one or two second-line troops, but if there's no economic benefit I don't hardly see using them, though I sure don't want to overuse elites.

(in reply to RaidR)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> computer player purchasing units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI