Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

First game completed - Great game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets >> First game completed - Great game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First game completed - Great game - 11/26/2008 2:51:32 AM   
basta2216

Awesome game once again SSG!

First game completed

Played Soviet, Against Computer Axis Opponent C+

The scenario really has nail biting moments. I really thought I was, for the first time against the AI, lose...

AI played great overall.

Some thoughts:

1) The AO feature is great, but near the end, I decided to lost Izium on purpose so I could “liberate” by cavalry and infantry stuck in the southwest of the map. AOs really need to open out at the end of a game.

2) The fact that Axis units can rebuild themselves really makes the axis stronger than it looks initially. However, the AI needs some improvement in how it handles those units. At the end of my game, completely dominating Kharkov and its surrounding, I was constantly attacked by a stream of weak one-step just-rebuilt regiments coming in a stream of one or two units a turn. A total waste.

3) Hedgehogged Axis units are extremely strong. Combined with the one or two artillery strikes a turn per hex, this make some hexes simply uncapturable by the Soviet in the span of the game.
Why is this limit so low? At the end of the game – it was an artillery strike per turn per hex.

4) The “Unknown units” feature is really neat, and it makes the game more realistic in my humble opinion, as similar units, even full strength, certainly were not totally similar in terms of combat power.

5) Is the ability of artillery to damage armoured or mechanized units behind the front line realistic? I would guess a tank battalion would be pretty safe against indirect artillery fire from miles away.

I’ll wait for the patch to play a game as Axis. Will it take a long time?

I also own Korsun Pocket, Battle in Italy and Battlefront. I played computer wargame for 20 years since I was a young teenager. I always played against the AI.

Congratulations on this great game.

Now I really have to risk my ego in a PBEM game!
Post #: 1
RE: First game completed - Great game - 11/26/2008 5:03:06 AM   
Fred98

Good you have enjoyed it!

Play again and this time use a diferent combination of AO's

-

(in reply to basta2216)
Post #: 2
RE: First game completed - Great game - 11/26/2008 6:25:04 AM   
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

Sounds like you are a real veteran of these battle series. This game is great for anyone interested in military history.

Regarding your comments...

Soviet artillery can fire up to 4 times on one hex during it's early attack phase and this number decreases as the advantage of prepared stocks dissipates. Historically, the advantage of Soviet artillery was brutal in the beginning and played less of a part in the later battle.

German hedgehog ability seems to be appropriate from what I've read on this battle and German force defense in general. I read the Kharkov book and even the Soviet commanders assigned to taking Kharkov admitted to fierce German resistance causing delays and heavy losses among the Soviet assault formations with units losses of over 50% being normal. The Germans were able to hold the huge Russian attack to the east of Kharkov and the fighting never reached the city itself (although it did in 4 other battles for Kharkov). Soviet artillery concentrated on eliminating strongpoints before assaults began and less on actual attrition of German infantry. To be realistic, the Soviets should be doing mass assaults on German hedgehogs and be clearing them at heavy cost to themselves.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 3
RE: First game completed - Great game - 11/26/2008 7:39:16 AM   
Noakesy

You should give PBEM a try, it's much better. I too played Ardennes Offensive against the PC for quite some time and really enjoyed it - then started playing PBEM and got a regular stuffing every time for the first few months (still do actually).

As for the AOs, I agree with Joe. Always been a person keen to try out the historical version really, but the Mystery AOs make things interesting, as you don't know what your opponent can/can't do.

(in reply to SS Hauptsturmfuhrer)
Post #: 4
RE: First game completed - Great game - 11/26/2008 10:19:24 AM   
JudgeDredd

Why wait for a patch before playing the Axis? And is there a patch coming?

(in reply to Noakesy)
Post #: 5
RE: First game completed - Great game - 11/26/2008 10:51:05 AM   
Helpless

I'd like to join a praises to Kharkov! Great game with high level of immersion, with all that "just another turn" till 3am effect

quote:

1) The AO feature is great, but near the end, I decided to lost Izium on purpose so I could “liberate” by cavalry and infantry stuck in the southwest of the map. AOs really need to open out at the end of a game.

Yes, I had the same experience when I had to lost Barvekovo intentionally in order to free up retreat paths.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 6
RE: First game completed - Great game - 11/26/2008 12:22:58 PM   
Noakesy

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Why wait for a patch before playing the Axis? And is there a patch coming?

I believe there is a patch on its way (I think it was mentioned on the SSG site), but I've no idea when or what's included (e.g. whether this would include ATDII and so on)

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 7
RE: First game completed - Great game - 11/26/2008 2:48:02 PM   
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

I think it says there will be a patch 1.1 for Kharkov, and Dnepr will be a seperate add-on which we'll need to purchase.

PBEM is quite good with Kharkov. I got 2 games as Russia cooking now and both are playing out very differently. One guy actually tried to surround my army east of Kharkov... the Germans trying to surround the Russians by taking most of his Krasnograd and Borki formations to help in his attack. Real crazy stuff.

And the other guy managed to stuff my attack on Kharkov and he's going crazy aggressive trying to fight me in the Krasnograd area even throwing his 1-step reincarnated units at me to slow me down at cost. He tried to lasso my Krasnograd assault party by using defenders from Borki to rush in behind me while the Krasnograd people sallied out and Romanians coming up from the south. He failed but there was a really bloody fight and it's still going on now (now turn 8 in both games) with both sides getting ground into hamburger.

(in reply to Noakesy)
Post #: 8
RE: First game completed - Great game - 11/26/2008 3:27:43 PM   
sol_invictus

You guys are making it really difficult to hold off purchasing this game any longer.

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

Post #: 9
RE: First game completed - Great game - 11/27/2008 12:23:26 AM   
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

Arinvald, it's worth it for sure. This is game makes you think and is fun at the same time without any repetitive micromanagement, a rare combo in today's gaming market.

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 10
RE: First game completed - Great game - 11/27/2008 12:29:35 AM   
Waffenamt

Let me be the devil's advocate then and say my copy is on the shelf until some more battles become available. I'm not a PBEMer and there are only so many times I can look at the same map before my interest starts to wane. I also prefer the 1km/hex scale so I'm disappointed to hear that scenarios using that scale won't be happening for at least the forseeable future. I may just have to finally suck it up and take a look at Battlefront.

I must say however, that I started this up with the Solsky scenario from Ian and really enjoyed playing it a several times to get the hang of the system. For me that was the high point ... I have other wargames that I prefer, such as COTA. But that's just me - there are some wargames I get more enjoyment out of learning than actually playing.

Regards,

Post #: 11
RE: First game completed - Great game - 11/27/2008 2:26:11 AM   
sol_invictus

quote:

ORIGINAL: SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

Arinvald, it's worth it for sure. This is game makes you think and is fun at the same time without any repetitive micromanagement, a rare combo in today's gaming market.

I would have already gotten it except that I just bought Wacht am Rhein. I will almost certainly grab it right after Christmas.

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

Post #: 12
RE: First game completed - Great game - 11/27/2008 7:57:44 AM   
Noakesy

Gregor's put a note on the SSG site to say the patch should be available shortly (inasmuch as he suggets to one individual that it might be better to wait for his next PBEM until the patch is released as it will invalidate current games).

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets >> First game completed - Great game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI