Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rule 8.5.3 Naval retreat

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Tech Support >> Rule 8.5.3 Naval retreat Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rule 8.5.3 Naval retreat - 6/25/2008 5:44:18 AM   
freetalk

Unusual situation just happened.
The rule says that if a region with a port is attacked and the computer expects the port to be captured, fleets will move to an adjacent sea area.
Axis in France had several ships in port and several fighters (and land units) staioned there.
Allies launched a fighter airfield attack (approx 12 fighters against 6 in France).
Computer immediately moved the fleet to sea even though there was no possibility of France falling. No land units were even involved in the attack, only planes.
The fleet then became easy pickings for the allied fleet.
I suggest the rule be amended so that fleets move only if the region is actually captured,
or will only move if land units are involved.
Post #: 1
RE: Rule 8.5.3 Naval retreat - 6/25/2008 6:27:04 AM   
WanderingHead

Frankly, I've never liked this rule. Primarily because it can quite unexpectedly cause the attackers moves to become non-undoable. I think that the cannot-undo effect is significant enough in impact but subtle enough in when it will trigger that the rule should be removed (too easy to get caucht by it unexpectedly).

I've also seen some little issues like what you point out, which just shouldn't happen.

I'd be interested in what others think. Should the "retreat if port is *expected* to be captured" rule be removed? Obviously, the naval retreat would still occur if the port is actually captured.

But bear in mind that I don't expect any more code changes, so the probability that this is improved is fairly low. I'm just looking for the guidance on the odd chance that I do any more coding.

(in reply to freetalk)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Tech Support >> Rule 8.5.3 Naval retreat Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI