Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

CSA Bio: Richard Griffith

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> CSA Bio: Richard Griffith Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CSA Bio: Richard Griffith - 5/23/2008 11:40:23 PM   
Battleline

Brig. Gen. Richard Griffith (b. 1814, d. 1862) A longtime friend of Confederate President Jefferson Davis, Richard Griffith met his fate near the Confederate capital. Griffith was born near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Jan. 11, 1814. He graduated in 1837 from Ohio University in Athens, Ohio. (He received an honorary master’s degree 20 years later). Moving to Vicksburg, Mississippi, he was employed as a teacher. When volunteers were needed for the Mexican War, Griffith joined the First Mississippi Rifles and was elected first lieutenant and regimental adjutant. His commander was Jefferson Davis and the two became friends. After the war, Griffith returned to Mississippi. He was a banker in Jackson, a U.S. marshal and state treasurer for two terms. When Mississippi seceded, Griffith returned to military service and was selected as colonel of the 12th Mississippi Infantry. Griffith was further elevated Nov. 12, 1861, being promoted to brigadier general, Provisional Confederate States Army. His command consisted of four Mississippi regiments. Sent to Virginia, Griffith’s brigade was placed under the command of Gen. John Magruder. At the Battle of Seven Pines, Griffith’s men were in the reserve. But they soon saw action in the Seven Days battles. At Savage’s Station, June 29, 1862, the fourth of the Seven Days battles, Griffith led his men into combat against the Federal rearguard. In the fighting, Griffith was hit in the thigh by a Federal artillery shell fragment. Informed the wound was fatal, Griffith reportedly said, “If only I could have led my brigade through this battle, I would have died satisfied.” (Derek Smith’s “The Gallant Dead: Union and Confederate Generals Killed in the Civil War”) Griffith died in Richmond of his wound later that day. President Davis penned (”The Rise and Fall of the Confederate Government,”), “Our loss was small in numbers, but great in value. Among others who could ill be spared, here fell the gallant soldier, the useful citizen, the true friend and Christian gentleman, Brigadier General Richard Griffith. He had served with distinction in foreign war, and, when the South was invaded, was among the first to take up arms in defense of our rights.” William Barksdale, who had been recommended for promotion to brigadier general by Griffith, ascended to command to the Mississippi brigade. Griffith was buried in Greenwood Cemetery in Jackson, Mississippi.
Post #: 1
RE: CSA Bio: Richard Griffith - 5/24/2008 8:45:42 AM   
Gil R.

Copied, thanks.

(in reply to Battleline)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> CSA Bio: Richard Griffith Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI