Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Need help with Dubno and Kv's

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega-Campaigns for SP:WaW >> Need help with Dubno and Kv's Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Need help with Dubno and Kv's - 4/15/2002 5:27:05 AM   
Polynike

I need some help with this scenario, can some vet give me a strategy as the PzIIIh's arenot a match for the Kv's no matter how many side or rear shots i get on target:mad:
thanks
Post #: 1
- 4/17/2002 7:47:13 PM   
kurtbj

I found them easier to deal with by engaging them at very very close range, the russian tanks don't seem to be anymore accurate at close range than far away but your own tanks operate far better close up. The best chance I find of a kill is 2 hexes away to the side at exactly 90 degrees to the hull, I've killed a few that way even using PzII model tanks. Just keep hitting it and hope for a Vulnerable location hit and you'll get them.
Also disabling their suspension seems to make the crew bail easily, just get close to them and keep pounding.
To outnumber their tanks I usually keep all mine close together and engage his armour section by section.

I'm no huge expert but this works well for me. :)

One thing I have noticed with the latest versions of SP that I've never noticed before is the angle of the hits on armour.... I love it now!!! Hitting someone at exactly 90 degrees seems much better than at an angle (where the armour rating increases a lot). As a result I positon all my tanks at angles to the enemy (not just facing them head on with my flat front showing). Basically I have one of the front corners of my tank pointing at the enemy, its seems to help a LOT. Everyone probably already knew this but I'd never really noticed it during gameplay before, now I see it all the time. :)

'Great Sage Equal of Heaven'

(in reply to Polynike)
Post #: 2
KV's are tough - 4/17/2002 11:36:11 PM   
Tiger

Flank shots are definitely the choice at longer ranges. Anything under 5cm you better close on the KV's and FAST! If I have numbers, I'll usually lay down enough fire to suppress them, then close for the kill en masse. I agree also that their gunners are not very accurate. I can usually close on them and suppress them, giving me time to line up a kill shot.

In a recent scenario, I nailed a KV with 3 hits from an '88 before taking it out. They're tough alright.

(in reply to Polynike)
Post #: 3
Kv's and T34's - 5/1/2002 2:52:12 AM   
Marine

I found that when i keep infantry with my armor and also try and calculate the enemy's move, I utilize a lot of smoke around my forces, this forces them to close with you. I have had great success with my inf sqds taking out Kv's and T34's. I also use this tactic against the British Matilda's. Use your inf to fire up the armor to add suppression points and then move your tanks up point blank, they rarily do damage with their response fire and u can do great damage.

(in reply to Polynike)
Post #: 4
Trying to load Watchtower 1942 - 5/1/2002 2:57:44 AM   
Marine

I am having trouble loading the Mega Campaign #3, can anyone help me.

(in reply to Polynike)
Post #: 5
Re: Need help with Dubno and Kv's - 5/1/2002 8:27:57 PM   
Gary Tatro

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Polynike
[B]I need some help with this scenario, can some vet give me a strategy as the PzIIIh's arenot a match for the Kv's no matter how many side or rear shots i get on target:mad:
thanks [/B][/QUOTE]

Here are some basic tacktics. There are two things you must do in a tank battle. First you must develop point-of-contact superiority. This means that when you come into contact with a tank group you want to make sure it is at a position where you have 2 to 1 odds in your favor. This can be done by some carful planning and menuvering in every battle. Second you need to seperate the lighter tanks from the heavy tanks. This can be done by engaging at longer ranges 5-20 hexs.
Here are some basic tricks. Use your terrain and smoke dischargers. Look over the map and look for some hills, park a couple of platoons of tanks behind the hill and wait until the opposition shows up. Pop your tank up on the hill and fire away. Start with the tanks that have the heaviest armor (STUG's). This gives you big advantages, first you will ussually be hull down, which decreases your size class by 2 and only allows your tank to be hit on the turret, where the armor ussually is the strongest. It also give you the chance to get top hits on the enemy tanks. When you have moved all your tanks up to the hill top and have fired all your shots use your smoke discharger to prevent line-of-sight(LOS) by the enemy. Two discharges if the weather if very clear. Once you have destoryed most of the light support tanks now is time to engage the heavies, here is where it is very important to use your artillary to discharge smoke. Blanket the field with it or at least the area that has the heavy tanks it it. Now use your lighter faster tanks to run up to the heavies and draw their fire. Only move until fired upon then bring up another light tank. Once a heavy has fired twice bring in one of your J's to within one hex, try to get a side or rear shot, (if you have APRC you can fire at the front but I still recommend side or rear). Concentrate on that tank until it is destoryed. Usually will take anywere from 1-10 hits from a PzIIIJ.
Remember the first tactic try to issolate the heavy's into groups of one's and two's using two to three platoons of tanks to work on each one. This gives you that point of contact superiority and will be successful.
Advanced tricks. If you have a group of heavies that have been disabled leave them alone until you are ready to deal with them. Plot artillary smoke around them so that they can not shot at you while you are menuvering. Later when you have few targets plot artillary to strike the hex that they are in and suppress them. Then move forward with your tanks and blast away. Many times the crews will bail or you will not receive any opportunity fire from them.
When you are waiting for the enemy tanks to move into your firing range turn off your co-axil machine guns. This will give you more opportunity fires from your main gun.
While in a tank battle use the target button to cycle through all targets to determine which target has the highest to hit ratio, then before you fire, make sure your tank can penitrate the opposing tanks armor, and finally move your cursor over the tank and leave it there for a second or two, read what it says if it says that that tank is routed or retreating, leave it and move to your next target with the best % to hit. Tanks that are routed or retreating will generally not return opportunity fire, also by firing on them you have the chance to move them from routed/retreating status to buttoned.
Finally if you have more than one tank that can fire on the same tank alternate between the two if the tank you fired with received opportunity fire after shooting at its target. This will make it more difficult for the other tanks to hit you, do to them having to switch targets all the time.

Hope this was helpful.

"Are you going to do something or just stand there and bleed"

(in reply to Polynike)
Post #: 6
- 5/2/2002 1:24:56 AM   
Easy8

Gary T.

Classic early War armored tactics, well said!

EZ8

(in reply to Polynike)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega-Campaigns for SP:WaW >> Need help with Dubno and Kv's Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI