Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Feature working?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> John Tiller's Battleground Series >> Feature working? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Feature working? - 7/30/2008 4:44:28 PM   
ETF

Ok I have the orginal Gettysburg set. The main gripe I had was moving large large formations. In the new release with all the patchs do I have to still move each individual unit? Is there away to order say a whole division that enters the map to move to say Point A and the AI moves it for me? I always found the game to be very high on the micromanagement. Then again maybe it was just me not understadnig the UI.

Thanks Guys

My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer
Post #: 1
RE: Feature working? - 7/30/2008 7:08:07 PM   
Valkyrie

quote:

ORIGINAL: ETF

Ok I have the orginal Gettysburg set. The main gripe I had was moving large large formations. In the new release with all the patchs do I have to still move each individual unit? Is there away to order say a whole division that enters the map to move to say Point A and the AI moves it for me? I always found the game to be very high on the micromanagement. Then again maybe it was just me not understadnig the UI.

Thanks Guys

If there is such a capability, I've never found it in the game. What is there is the capability to move columns of units by selecting the lead unit and then holding down the ALT key when you click on their destination hex (which does have to be within movement range). Basically, you need to keep your units organized in order to most effectively utilize this, but maintaining command and control is very key to this game anyway.

For example, if you put Reynolds at the head of a column of Union I Corps troops, you can move the whole corps behind him with one click. If you had a brigade commander at the head of the column, only their brigade would follow along. So the trick is to keep your units organized by Brigade, Battery, and Division and then you can easily move large formations.

I should add that for moving a brigade, you don't need the commander at the front, click on the first unit of that brigade and all adjacent regiments will follow along anyway. I like to keep my commanders at the head of their formations though, and if you are wanting to move more than a single brigade, then the higher level commander at the lead is necessary.

Hope this helps. I find the management of road marches to be one of the game's challenges. If you play the HPS Campaign series ACW games this becomes critical as the campaigns include a LOT of marching across HUGE maps.

One more tip, supply wagons on the road disrupt this movement process and break the chain (which is realistic) so you need to keep your supply trains off the road and out of the way of major movements. Note that in the Gettysburg Campaign the Union adopted a new tactic of cutting loose from their supply trains instead of having them dogging along and slowing down the combat units. This is one reason why the Army of the Potomac was able to move north as fast as they did and surprise Lee who was counting on their usual slow movement.

It's little nuances like this that make BattleGround and the later HPS series so fantastically enjoyable for me.

Signature? Maybe someday over the rainbow.

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 2
RE: Feature working? - 8/1/2008 12:45:05 AM   
ETF

hmm So it has to be in thier movement range eh?
Oh well I almost bought the game........ too bad.

My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer

(in reply to Valkyrie)
Post #: 3
RE: Feature working? - 8/1/2008 11:40:05 PM   
Ashantai

*Shrug* It's the same as in the original game.

To be fair though, road column movement is the only one you need. There's rarely a need to move a formation across an open plain, mainly because most people would want to do it themselves because it means you are near the enemy.

Since the AI is sometimes quite bad I'm not sure I'd entrust my army to it.

Of course, you could turn on Command Control for that corps and order it to move to a location and it would obey - but there's easier ways to do things.

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> John Tiller's Battleground Series >> Feature working? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI