Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scenarios and PBEM questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Scenarios and PBEM questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scenarios and PBEM questions - 6/27/2003 10:09:21 PM   
dlazov

Hello,
I have some questions regarding Command and Control. In a vast majority of the SP WaW scenarios the scenario designer recommends that c2 should be turned off. Why?

Also, I see a lot of PBEM'ers that want cc off. Why?

To me personally having the preference command and control ON, makes the game more realsitic.

Why would anyone want this option off?

DGL

An army of rabbits led by a lion, will beat an army of lions, led by a Rabbit. Napoleon
Post #: 1
Re: Scenarios and PBEM questions - 6/27/2003 10:13:40 PM   
Voriax

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dlazov
[B]

Why would anyone want this option off? [/B][/QUOTE]

Simple answer: Movement cone.

Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to dlazov)
Post #: 2
- 6/27/2003 10:16:22 PM   
dlazov

[QUOTE]Simple answer: Movement cone[/QUOTE]

Voriax,
I am sorry I don't understand, what exactly do you mean by this? Can you explain?

DGL

An army of rabbits led by a lion, will beat an army of lions, led by a Rabbit. Napoleon

(in reply to dlazov)
Post #: 3
- 6/27/2003 10:27:33 PM   
Voriax

Well, simply that I don't like the movement restrictions when unit is not in contact. When that happens only 'allowed' moves are within a cone towards the objective flag. Now if you happen to wander into a bunker or like, you cannot move your unit even 1 hex *back*..you'd need commands for that.

CL's operating area idea on the other hand sounds very interesting and it's quite likely I'll use C&C in it.

Voriax

ps. If things have changed, then tell me...I just remember my utter disgust when I explored this option waaaaay back. Haven't touched it even with an 11-foot pole in years.

(in reply to dlazov)
Post #: 4
- 6/27/2003 10:39:38 PM   
dlazov

Voriax,
Thanks for explaining that and I can see your point.

I like CC on because it does seem more realistic to me. Sometimes in battles all units just would not respond to the commaders orders or they would move slowly or what not.

I don't think it is as bad as you pointed out, it can be fustrating at times, but if it happens to you it also happens to your opponent.

Assuming of course this effects the AI the same as humans. I have only one PBEM game going on with WaW and we both have the CC set to ON.

DGL

(in reply to dlazov)
Post #: 5
- 6/27/2003 10:45:32 PM   
Voriax

Interestingly enough, if an out of contact unit would turn to AI control so you could not affect it at all I'd probably use C&C :)

Of course said AI controlled unit would have to behave somewhat randomly..occasionally just staying put, or perhaps turning into retreat...

I think that scenario designers don't recommend it because its easier to test the scenario with C&C off. When playing same scenario several times the result won't differ based on what units happened to be in contact at given time.
Just my guess only.

Voriax

(in reply to dlazov)
Post #: 6
- 6/27/2003 11:33:25 PM   
dlazov

Voriax wrote:
[QUOTE]
out of contact unit would turn to AI control so you could not affect it at all I'd probably use C&C
[/QUOTE]

Well unless I am mistaken that is kind of what happens. I was just playing Sunflower Fields from M4 Jess solo and some of my Russian units were by default setup up to defend even though I am on the move. This was okay, what I did is go to the 0 unit and change the whole formation stance to advance. Sometimes if the units are in contact the whole formation is okay to move. On the other hand I had several formations where not all of the units were in contact and these units would not move. So I moved the HQ closer to these units so to see if the next turn they would be able to move.

The above type of behavior is what I have been seeing in 7.1 with the 1/2003 oobs. Both solo and PBEM. And that was why I asked the question. Perhaps in earlier versions (pre 7.1) the C&C sucked so players did not like it, and as you stated designers wanted a basic good test. And then perhaps that just carried over to so other players.

I really like all realism preferences on and C&C as well. Makes it more unpredictable and more fun.

Just my observations and opinion.

DGL

(in reply to dlazov)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Scenarios and PBEM questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI