Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How about a Horse Racing game?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> How about a Horse Racing game? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How about a Horse Racing game? - 7/10/2008 8:28:00 AM   
billiesan

Matrix has made some great sports games in the past.

How about a horse racing game? Something along the lines of Winning Post.

What's everyone think?
Post #: 1
RE: How about a Horse Racing game? - 7/10/2008 6:08:06 PM   
sabre1

As long as they are carrying sabres, sounds good to me...

(in reply to billiesan)
Post #: 2
RE: How about a Horse Racing game? - 7/10/2008 7:25:27 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: billiesan

What's everyone think?

Well, you did ask!

(in reply to billiesan)
Post #: 3
RE: How about a Horse Racing game? - 7/10/2008 8:17:52 PM   
Zap

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: billiesan

What's everyone think?

Well, you did ask!

Like Herston said. Now maybe if you added in backroom illegal deals, drugged horses, fights between jockies while riding there horses during the race. You need to get it closer to charoit racing, but in the modern day setting.

You might have a better chance to ask for a tactical level chariots battle game.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 4
RE: How about a Horse Racing game? - 7/10/2008 10:52:49 PM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap
You need to get it closer to charoit racing, but in the modern day setting.

Fascinating concept. You should shoot it off to the producers of American Gladiators. They could start a new show: "Circus Gasolinimus," where not only do you race, you've got to secure a source of fuel while fighting off terrorists and dealing with OPEC, or "Sex Change Chariot Racing: Ben Hur meets Ben Him."

You could even make it green or energy-conscious. Strap big baskets to the top of Toyota Priuses, fill 'em with guys in short skirts carrying spears, and have at it.

< Message edited by pasternakski -- 7/10/2008 10:54:29 PM >

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 5
RE: How about a Horse Racing game? - 7/10/2008 11:10:28 PM   
GaryChildress

I'm with Hertston. Doesn't sound very exciting to me. But for some I'm sure a horse race game would be fabulous. To each his own!

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 6
RE: How about a Horse Racing game? - 7/11/2008 1:17:00 AM   
tc237

< Message edited by tc237 -- 11/19/2013 7:00:52 AM >

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 7
RE: How about a Horse Racing game? - 7/13/2008 6:12:40 AM   
Jeffrey H.

AH did Circus Maximus, that was a real blast to play. Without chariots and blades, fuhgetaboudit.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to tc237)
Post #: 8
RE: How about a Horse Racing game? - 7/14/2008 3:44:06 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

AH did Circus Maximus, that was a real blast to play. Without chariots and blades, fuhgetaboudit.

Now, we're talkin' business. I never tried the computer version they did for the C64 and all those dying computers before AH went tits up, but this was a really good game, complete with campaign rules, betting, and management.

Can you imagine the fun the graphics designers could have? Horses sliced up by chariot wheel blades ... chariots cartwheeling in the dust with the driver flying over the front to be either dragged to death or trampled under his main rival's horses' hooves ... Longtime Coliseum favorite Peet "the Rose" returning from another loss to take a gladius through the sternum because owner Senator Pelvius found out he was betting against himself and throwing races ... the excitement of managing new heroes from distant provinces - the likes of Obrack from Alabama or Someplace, or Hairy Bill from Clinton of the Ark, Man or Woman No One Knows challenging the dark, sinister champions put forth by the Emperor, like MacJon of the Cane or Gothic George "Call Me Double V, 'Cause There Ain't No Dubya" the Bushman.

I think we got a winner here, folks...

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 9
RE: How about a Horse Racing game? - 7/15/2008 4:33:21 AM   
Zap

We agree! Without stomping, dragging, trampling there is no interest.

Post #: 10
RE: How about a Horse Racing game? - 7/15/2008 4:51:01 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

We agree! Without stomping, dragging, trampling there is no interest.

O yeah! The same kind of entertainment you get from games that allow you to be a horde of marauding barbarians - rape, pillage, and plunder ... although I think ya probably wanna get the raping and plundering out of the way before you get jiggy wit' the pillaging part.

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 11
RE: How about a Horse Racing game? - 7/15/2008 6:45:12 AM   
sabre1

Didn't AH do a game called Gladiator also?

Post #: 12
RE: How about a Horse Racing game? - 7/15/2008 7:47:04 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: sabre1

Yep - I forget who the original developer was. It was one of those "we'll publish it for you" deals that AH got into so much as time went along. It was pretty good, but it had no sex appeal. When you were retarius swinging your net and lunging with your trident, you had no feel for how beautiful and agile you were. A computer version was desperately needed, and none was forthcoming. Kind of a shame, really...

UPDATE (like anybody really cares, but, what the hey) - Ah. The original publisher of Circus Maximus and Gladiator was Battleline Games, bought out by AH in the early '80s. You can find a rip of the game (I ain't saying where, but you know, you sly devils, you), which I downloaded. It wants to work on XP, even though a DOS game, but I have had no luck in getting past the chariot design screen. It's a puny, weak little thing, but, hey, if I can get it to work, who knows? Maybe it'll soothe my hurt feelings after I am disappointed by AE... I still like AH's old "Advanced Civilizations" game (Which works on XP - and this one I loaded from the CD I actually bought oh, so many years ago). It ain't fancy, but it works, and if you don't know what you're doing and do it just right, the AIs will come and eat your lunch for you.

You want a challenge? Try playing as Crete against seven AI civilizations. Many of you accustomed to high-tech, RTS, graphics intensivity and all the other candy won't like it, but I find it to be a great deal of FUN (even while I am cursing and throwing things around the room because I just got hit with the "Civil War" calamity for the second time in four turns).

Did I mention that you can get hit by the plague and your crops can dry up with famine and wipe out a significant portion of your population (unless you know how to make clay pots, which, if you have a surplus of grain saved up, can ameliorate the effect). You can also be Typhoid Mary, trading the plague in the marketplace to an unsuspecting rival who thought he was getting bronze or silver ... when you trade the plague to someone and that civilization is affected by it, you are immune!

Then, there's the idea that some calamities, like the dreaded Civil War (which you can't trade away) may actually work to push you toward revitalizing your civilization by taking remedial action.

I just love this game. Many people hate it, most ignore it. Oh. I guess I should stay fairly close to the topic we have wandered into. You can be the Illyrians, who have the best early shot at founding Rome and starting up the whole chariot racing thingie...

< Message edited by pasternakski -- 7/15/2008 8:34:48 AM >

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 13
RE: How about a Horse Racing game? - 7/15/2008 7:59:24 AM   
IronWarrior

This reminds me of the time I went to Historicon and amidst all the ACW, Napoleonics, Ancients, WW2, etc etc... there was this one table that everyone was laughing, yelling, hootin and hollerin. I figured I had to see what kind of fun they were having, and it was a miniatures game of chariot racing .

I don't know if it would be my thing, but when you look at the "Coming soon and in development" section on here and 6/7 games are WW2... if a horse racing did pop up I might have to think about it lol.

< Message edited by IronWarrior -- 7/15/2008 8:04:20 AM >

Post #: 14
RE: How about a Horse Racing game? - 7/15/2008 8:40:43 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: IronWarrior

This reminds me of the time I went to Historicon and amidst all the ACW, Napoleonics, Ancients, WW2, etc etc... there was this one table that everyone was laughing, yelling, hootin and hollerin. I figured I had to see what kind of fun they were having, and it was a miniatures game of chariot racing .

I don't know if it would be my thing, but when you look at the "Coming soon and in development" section on here and 6/7 games are WW2... if a horse racing did pop up I might have to think about it lol.

You know, that game at the convention might well have been Circus Maximus. People have been known to create Circuses as much as ten feet long and play using miniatures chariots the size of 1/48th scale model cars pulled by horses as big as small rats...

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to IronWarrior)
Post #: 15
RE: How about a Horse Racing game? - 7/16/2008 2:06:48 AM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

A.k.a, "The Happy Roman", 'cause he's a glad he ater ! Nyuk nyuk.

Fun game though, we used to play with lots of people in the ring all at once. We had an initiative system all worked out. Hack and slash all the way. Was fun.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 16
RE: How about a Horse Racing game? - 7/16/2008 3:44:31 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

quote:

A.k.a, "The Happy Roman", 'cause he's a glad he ater ! Nyuk nyuk.

I suppose he still caesar on weekends. Lousy joke, but it's good enough forum...

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> How about a Horse Racing game? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI