Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Distant Guns!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Distant Guns! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Distant Guns! - 8/2/2008 7:08:26 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Distant guns Russo-Japanese war is not a bad game at all. Seems to be a good naval sim on the naval war. Anyone else play it. Was just wondering what your thoughts would be on the game. Price tag is high.

Also how would you compare it to HPS Guadalcanal naval campaigns?

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
Post #: 1
RE: Distant Guns! - 8/2/2008 7:24:14 PM   
Terminus

Utterly awful. This is not a game, but a barely interactive movie.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 2
RE: Distant Guns! - 8/2/2008 7:55:34 PM   
06 Maestro

Terminus may be on the harsh side, but the game was lacking for me also. There are some very impressve attributes to that game, but I think you need to be a naval warfare fan to get into it. The era/war is not he most popular subject either. They used to have a trial version available-check that out.

I am planning on buying Jutland when it is released from SES-or at lest to take a very close look at it.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: Distant Guns! - 8/2/2008 10:28:35 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Thanks for the input-that popped my bubble.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 4
RE: Distant Guns! - 8/3/2008 1:16:02 AM   
sullafelix

I'm shocked that someone would find it " utterly awful ".I really haven't tried the campaign much, but the separate battles are excellent. It's like the old SSIs Fighting steel with a greatly improved graphics engine. Or another comparision would be the great naval batles series. I like it a lot and they continually patch it. A lot of people hate the protection scheme and I have to admit I'm not a fan of it either.I have a high end machine so I've had no problems with graphics. People have complained that with slower comps it is like watching a slide show.I'm also a little prejudiced because I am really into the war and read all I can about it.

As far as the HPS series, I own Jutland and I have some problems with what I would call non-historical outcomes. This series is much like the SSI Warship and I forget the name of the WW1 game. It is as bland as you come for graphics. It looks like dust mites on a blue background. I know there are some mods to make the ships easier to distinguish from each other. But without the weird outcomes it still is a good game, although again I'm a Jutland nut and read and buy anything on it.

Theres not much in naval games at these games level that you really can do. You can order speed and course changes and target different enemy ships but not much else.You give the orders and wait and see. If you are a gamer that wants control of every little thing than these kind of naval games are not for you. If you are into being a General or Admiral and issuing orders from that perspective they are great.

Post #: 5
RE: Distant Guns! - 8/3/2008 1:34:43 AM   
Big B

I have played Distant Guns RJW for over a year now - battles and campaign games.
The game is an excellent Nav War Sim of it's subject. I first had HPS's Tsushima, which was enjoyable - but DG/RJW is not comparable with the HPS release. DG/RJW is so much beyond it's HPS predecessor that they cannot be compared (unless you have low computing power).

I genuinely have a high regard for Terminus (and regard him as a friend), but why he seems to dislike DG/RJW so much is beyond me. Why so harsh Mr.T?

Anyway - the game comes with a free download and trial, take advantage of that and try it yourself before judging.
DG/RJW also has it's own forum with very good support (and the forum is quite active). It my be visited here: http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=245

Disclaimer: Some people have reacted quite negatively to the sales condition - no CD, it is played only via internet download and one-at-a-time pc licensing. The reasonable fear some people have about that is - 'what happens if the company goes out of business?' But they (SES)claim that - should that ever be the case, they will automatically email out the license to all owners so that they may install it themselves where ever they wish.
The only other downside is that with no CD - you may not install your own copy on multiple pc's. That is their desire for sales and copy protection, I can live with that. If I want another copy I'll buy it myself.

B

< Message edited by Big B -- 8/3/2008 1:39:52 AM >

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 6
RE: Distant Guns! - 8/3/2008 1:44:28 AM   
Terminus

I dislike it because there's nothing in it. You point your ships at the enemy, press the fire button, and then that's it. No immersion, no gameplay, just watching stuff happening, not getting to DO anything.

Just awful.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 7
RE: Distant Guns! - 8/3/2008 1:54:19 AM   
Big B

Hahaha, I don't know how to answer that?

Well ok, you aren't aiming guns, torpedoes, and assigning damage control, you have to be satisfied being squadron or TF commander. But I would suggest that in that capacity (the guy in charge), you have probably more control over all your individual ships than Admiral Togo did....not to mention setting your entire navy's policy, patrols, and objectives?

Anyway, I guess no one game has it all.

B

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 8
RE: Distant Guns! - 8/3/2008 2:27:44 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Well Ive gotten a point of view from the "Pro's and the Con's".  Thanks guys!  I am a big Witp fan and was looking for something on a controlable  individual scale.  But I may give DG's a try(Demo).  Price is steep!

I understand the developers used to be Talon soft.  I think.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 9
RE: Distant Guns! - 8/3/2008 2:45:45 AM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89
... Price is steep!

Yes, the price is steep, but so is WitP. Really, you have to keep in mind that what you are up against (cost wise) is that the customer base for these specialized war games is so small (relatively) that the game publishers have to get more per copy (than mass appeal computer games) to stay in business.
It's just a fact of life we have to live with in this hobby. And - if you consider the amount of hours of enjoyment you get from these kind of games - the price is still cheap compared to other types of entertainment.

Post #: 10
RE: Distant Guns! - 8/3/2008 2:50:40 AM   
Titanwarrior89

I would have too agree with you.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

quote:

... Price is steep!

Yes, the price is steep, but so is WitP. Really, you have to keep in mind that what you are up against (cost wise) is that the customer base for these specialized war games is so small (relatively) that the game publishers have to get more per copy (than mass appeal computer games) to stay in business.
It's just a fact of life we have to live with in this hobby. And - if you consider the amount of hours of enjoyment you get from these kind of games - the price is still cheap compared to other types of entertainment.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 11
RE: Distant Guns! - 8/3/2008 2:55:34 AM   
jwilkerson

I played this quite a bit for about the first 30 days ... I tried like 8 DD on one side versus 8 DD on the other ... or 2 Cruisers versus 2 Cruisers etc. At this level, I think it works pretty well.

The main problem with the larger battles with the BBs, is that the effective ranges are about double what they were historically (12k versus 6k). I think was the primary factor that I have not played it much in a while. That and the fact that a bug was killing my big battles, though I sent in a save and that one actually got fixed. So I am impressed with the support!

But the gunnery model needs some work. Otherwise, I think it has potention.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

Post #: 12
RE: Distant Guns! - 8/3/2008 3:06:25 AM   
Big B

Actually, I have found that in recent play - BB main armament is quite deadly now at the 5000 to 6000 meter range ( beyond that seems to be primarily hitting by act of God). That is on the latest patch 1.073, or however many zeros are in that number.

The ONLY bug that still seems to exist is the re-shuffle that occurs in TF positions after a battle. THAT can be frustrating. You leave an enemy TF behind you on the same course you are steering, and an hour later they are there in front of you again!

I have sent in save games to be analyzed, but so far I am told they are trying to fix that for Jutland first.
quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

I played this quite a bit for about the first 30 days ... I tried like 8 DD on one side versus 8 DD on the other ... or 2 Cruisers versus 2 Cruisers etc. At this level, I think it works pretty well.

The main problem with the larger battles with the BBs, is that the effective ranges are about double what they were historically (12k versus 6k). I think was the primary factor that I have not played it much in a while. That and the fact that a bug was killing my big battles, though I sent in a save and that one actually got fixed. So I am impressed with the support!

But the gunnery model needs some work. Otherwise, I think it has potention.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 13
RE: Distant Guns! - 8/3/2008 11:24:54 AM   
Zakhal

I really like this game - especially the amazing campaign. As russians I send all of my fast ship to hunt cargo ships as fast raiders and leave rest of the ships on port defense. The fast raiders are untoucheable by the japs because they can just run away if the odds are not in their favor. The only raider or two I lost were during night time close encounter - but those rarely happen.

It was fun for somtime (I sanked quite few jap BBs too that tried to blockade) but then it seemed that AI cant do anything to stop me from winning so there was simply no challenge left. I havent tried the japanese side yet but I have doubts whether its any better.

I have tried to play the old GNBs too - they had good campaigns also - but I cant get them to work on my pc. In GNB2 I spent most of my time doing repairs and lauching air planes. In distant guns though I watch the combat and do manouvers depending on situation - in close range I watchout for torpedoes and always try to have max amount of guns on enemy. If one side of the ship is too damaged I need to turn it over to use the guns on the other side. Targeting is important too - somtimes I need to quickly finish of torpedo boats closing in or concentrate all of my ships on the heaviest enemy vessel.

I like the graphics too in DG and theres nice small details in it. You can actually see the damage on the ships, because the game has a visual damage model.

quote:

The main problem with the larger battles with the BBs, is that the effective ranges are about double what they were historically (12k versus 6k).

Its just a waste of ammo to even try shooting from ranges above 6k. Youll never hit anything and then you need to sail back to port for more ammo. I usually close up to 3-4k before opening.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 8/3/2008 11:43:29 AM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 14
RE: Distant Guns! - 8/3/2008 1:28:11 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Well I downloaded the Demo played it,then bought the game.  Ive started the campaign and I am enjoying the game.  Actually its a little better than I thought.  But I can see why Terminus doesn't care for it.

However its hard to keep up with the gunnery action sometimes.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 15
RE: Distant Guns! - 8/3/2008 3:38:07 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

This is not a game, but a barely interactive movie.

Yup, there's not enough to do during the fighting. At least the HPS games allow players to direct torpedo fire. As commodore of the force, you're reduced to the role of observer on a zoomable map. Bah!

Another poster, below compares the game to "Fighting Steel." Well, then, you've got the same problem. Compared to games like TF1942 or GNB, there's not enough to keep a player occupied. Eventually the battles WILL become repetitive and tedious, and stale as a six-month, old biscuit.

I can't comment on the campaign because I never got any farther than the second demo. I might have actually purchased the game (as I buy at least one of everything), but the developer's forum presence and lack of conventional support for the game quickly rendered that possibility nil.

Save your $$$, Gamers!

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 16
RE: Distant Guns! - 8/3/2008 3:53:30 PM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zakhal
Its just a waste of ammo to even try shooting from ranges above 6k. Youll never hit anything and then you need to sail back to port for more ammo. I usually close up to 3-4k before opening.

Well sounds like they must have fixed this in a patch then - good. When I was playing, my BBs were destroyed by just a few minutes of fire at ranges of 10-12K.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 17
RE: Distant Guns! - 8/3/2008 5:19:10 PM   
Zakhal

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson
Well sounds like they must have fixed this in a patch then - good. When I was playing, my BBs were destroyed by just a few minutes of fire at ranges of 10-12K.

I bought the game last spring and I have never seen anything like that no matter what size or class of ship. At best I can recall only one or two hits (with 20-30% of ammo wasted) from those ranges in all the time that I have played. Also it usually takes longer than few minutes to sink a ship - especially a battleship. Allthough there seems to be few rare exceptions but those are usually smaller ships like torpedo boats that take one big hit, explode and sink straight to the bottom instantly.

Its good to note that beyond certain point the size of the guns dont really add to the accuracy because of the poor aiming mechanisms. The excellent manual descripes it in detail - too bad they didnt sell a printed version.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 8/3/2008 5:23:53 PM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 18
RE: Distant Guns! - 8/3/2008 5:52:56 PM   
Fntoy.com

I don't Want to buy wthise game it's Tereble!

< Message edited by Fntoy.com -- 8/3/2008 5:53:20 PM >

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 19
RE: Distant Guns! - 8/3/2008 6:35:12 PM   
sullafelix

Just because a game is not your cup of tea I don't think you should pan it.DG does what it set out to do very well. For people who do not want to do everything on a ship or move every single counter this and others like it are fine games. I wish more games had the higher level approach available. The Take command series is great, for those who want to send orders or for those who want to be in the thick of things doing everthing. Sometimes I like to be in the thick of things and sometime not.

(in reply to Fntoy.com)
Post #: 20
RE: Distant Guns! - 8/3/2008 6:39:18 PM   
Titanwarrior89

I'll be indoors gaming alot today.  Geeez!  Its hot here 102 degrees(arkansas).  So more sailing for me!  While waiting on my witp/wpo turns.

(in reply to Fntoy.com)
Post #: 21
RE: Distant Guns! - 8/3/2008 6:46:58 PM   
Titanwarrior89

I do like the campaign set up.  sent a russian crusier out on patrol and ran into two japanese crusiers.  Had a regular gun battle going with all ships taking damage.  Well at the same time I was downling the patch OOtp09 baseball and it went into run and the game crashed to the desk top.  Ill never know if the russian crusier made it(can't remember the name)(I know nothing of this war-I have read very little on it).

But I am getting into the game. I do like it.

Post #: 22
RE: Distant Guns! - 8/3/2008 7:27:04 PM   
pad152

Well I didn't think much of DG, in a Naval Battle I want more control than just turn weapons on/off and move ships this way or that way, too much watching too little control. It's like they created a Battleship sim from Age of Sail and kept pretty much the same control model!

There hasn't been a good naval battle sim in a long long time, I realy hope Jutland is a lot better!

Post #: 23
RE: Distant Guns! - 8/3/2008 7:32:15 PM   
Zakhal

Distant guns is more like a naval wargame than sim. It wouldnt be half as good without the campaign imho.

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 24
RE: Distant Guns! - 8/3/2008 10:56:25 PM   
sabre100

game is horrible, dont waste your money on this or even jutland plus their licensing is HORRIBLE!!!   Why can't they use something like Matrix and not treat their normal customers like crap with bogus activation schemes that are horrible probably the worst in the business, worse then starforce IMO.  What happens when they go under or decide to close shop my very expensive game becomes a pile of junk!!.. Unless they treat their customers like loyal paying folks and remove this bogus activation they have now i would stay far clear of any game they make.

< Message edited by sabre100 -- 8/3/2008 10:58:11 PM >

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 25
RE: Distant Guns! - 8/3/2008 11:25:20 PM   
Titanwarrior89

I like the game myself but I do dislike the licensing of it. Reminds me of Elicense. I don't care for that myself. If i get burnt with this game on the license I'll never buy another license game.
quote:

ORIGINAL: sabre100

game is horrible, dont waste your money on this or even jutland plus their licensing is HORRIBLE!!!   Why can't they use something like Matrix and not treat their normal customers like crap with bogus activation schemes that are horrible probably the worst in the business, worse then starforce IMO.  What happens when they go under or decide to close shop my very expensive game becomes a pile of junk!!.. Unless they treat their customers like loyal paying folks and remove this bogus activation they have now i would stay far clear of any game they make.

(in reply to sabre100)
Post #: 26
RE: Distant Guns! - 8/4/2008 12:37:09 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

I like the game myself but I do dislike the licensing of it.

Anyone that's interested in the train-wreck that's been SES-DRM should read the following:

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75977

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Post #: 27
RE: Distant Guns! - 8/4/2008 1:15:11 AM   
Erik Rutins

As a reminder to everyone, when discussing games by other publishers and developers, please keep things civil. We strongly discourage "bashing" or criticism that has no reasoning behind it. If you dislike a game, explain why you dislike it. Keep it civil and ideally constructive. Keep in mind that other developers and publishers don't always check for discussion on their games at a different site and thus can't respond with their point of view, for that reason especially it's important to keep the above in mind when posting. Thanks.

P.S. If you can't do the above, then please post where they can respond.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 28
RE: Distant Guns! - 8/4/2008 1:22:43 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

In my first post above, I mentioned that one of my reasons for declining to purchase DG was its apparent lack of conventional game/technical support. The following thread touches on the lack of support experienced by people who actually did buy the game:

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75227

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 29
RE: Distant Guns! - 8/4/2008 1:29:27 AM   
Erik Rutins

Your message happened to be the last one in the thread when I replied, PoE, but my comment wasn't aimed at any one poster.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Distant Guns! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI