Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Happy Birthday RevRick

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Happy Birthday RevRick Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Happy Birthday RevRick - 8/7/2008 12:18:16 AM   
Gem35

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY RevRick!!!!

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg
Post #: 1
RE: Happy Birthday RevRick - 8/7/2008 12:42:19 AM   
USSAmerica

Happy Birthday, Reverend! 

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 2
RE: Happy Birthday RevRick - 8/7/2008 2:56:29 AM   
Anthropoid

HBD Rev!

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 3
RE: Happy Birthday RevRick - 8/7/2008 3:37:04 AM   
Feltan

Sweet sixteen and never been kissed.

Happy birthday!

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 4
RE: Happy Birthday RevRick - 8/7/2008 3:55:21 AM   
RevRick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feltan

Sweet sixteen and never been kissed.

Happy birthday!

Regards,
Feltan

Yeah. I'm celebrating the 33 anniversary of that event - the birthday, not the kiss.

Thanks, everyone.

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 5
RE: Happy Birthday RevRick - 8/7/2008 8:32:47 AM   
m10bob

Happy Birthday...Many more!

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 6
RE: Happy Birthday RevRick - 8/7/2008 9:07:26 AM   
pasternakski

Happy returns on your birthday, Rev.

I've got a story for you that you may appreciate. My retirement haven used to be a monastery. The residence has been updated and maintained, but the rest of the buildings and grounds need restoration and care. As a condition of my buying and living in the property, I agreed with the government to undertake the restoration and to serve as sort of a curator of the premises.

So, a lot of my time is devoted to that work. Now, the buildings are mostly stone, and I spend a lot of time working with plaster, mortar, rock, and all that good masonry stuff. I wear a long smock when doing the dirty work to protect my clothes, and I tie it snugly around my waist with a length of rope to keep the loose cloth from getting in my way.

I must confess to not paying a lot of attention to my appearance in recent times, what with no social agenda to pursue, so I have let my hair grow and now sport a full beard. I have grown thin in recent years, weighing not much over 80 kilos these days, so I am a little gaunt, I suppose. When working on the exterior of the site buildings, I get a lot of rock and mortar dust all over me (hence the smock), and I must be some odd looking creature, to be sure.

Last week, a group of tourists (Australian, I think) came trekking through (my place is pretty isolated from the mainstream, you see, and has that look of historical and religious importance to it). One of them, a young man of about 20, asked me very politely if it would be all right if his group looked over the grounds, and if they could take some pictures.

I said, "Certainly," and tried to reflect the hospitality of the good people in the area where I now live, offering to show them around and give them some idea of the history of the place, as I understood it.

Rev, the kid stood there in a certain amount of awe and started calling me "Holy Father."

I quickly disabused him of that notion, trying not to be too amused by the idea of such a thing as me being regarded as holy, and, for some reason, among the other things running through my head, I thought of the photo of yourself you posted on the "who are we" thread. I'm glad I have an opportunity to pass this little bit of related fun along to you.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 7
RE: Happy Birthday RevRick - 8/7/2008 5:16:57 PM   
bradfordkay

Happy Birthday Rev!

How do you like Macon as opposed to Brunswick? A good friend of mine grew up out Vineville way - his dad still lives up there.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 8
RE: Happy Birthday RevRick - 8/7/2008 7:49:55 PM   
captskillet

Happy Birthday old-timer!!!!!!!

"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 9
RE: Happy Birthday RevRick - 8/7/2008 8:52:14 PM   
RevRick

Well, that raises all kinds of possibilities. If I were to don my alb, complete with cincture, and with my age induced tonsure (called male pattern baldness) we could probably set up shop somehow - pasternakski and pastorrick. There used to be a restaurant in St. Augustine called Monks, which was set us as an old Abbey, and the waiters were appropriately dressed. Don't have the foggiest idea what the modus operandi of such an enterprise would be - maybe hosting wargaming conventions or groups and call ourselves "The Dos Padres."

Don't worry about being called "holy". The same thing has happened to me in my collar, and I am no more nor any less human than anyone else. I just have a slightly different "boss!" I recognize the feeling of being with or near something or someone which has a beyond this world purpose, but I sure don't pretend to be in charge, or anything more than a servant in that cause.

I ran into a group of my oldest friends one time after I had graduated from seminary, and was invited to a party. When I got there, there was some uproarious laughter emerging from around the corner from where I entered, which evaporated as soon as I entered the room, and someone said, "Shh, it's the reverend." These were guys and girls I had been with before my conversion, and knew not only where the skeletons were, but what kind and how many of them there were(are!) Being something of a maverick, even in the profession, I replied. "Oh, stop that bulls***, right now, and get me a Fosters!" Amazing how it broke the ice, and we went back to being friends again. We've remained so for the entire duration of my ministry thus far, thankfully. This mantle is far to hard to carry any other way.

Thanks.
Rick

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 10
RE: Happy Birthday RevRick - 8/7/2008 8:55:13 PM   
bradfordkay

You can't be that uptight of a pastor... aren't you a Free Shoes University fan?

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 11
RE: Happy Birthday RevRick - 8/7/2008 8:57:20 PM   
RevRick

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

Happy Birthday Rev!

How do you like Macon as opposed to Brunswick? A good friend of mine grew up out Vineville way - his dad still lives up there.

It's good and bad, and can be summed up in two phrases. No Salt water - bad. No sand gnats - very good. We miss the Golden Isles, but we love middle Georgia as well - except in late July and early August (or right now!) Today's heat index - 115. That I could do without! I'm very familiar with Vineville. My church was right off Vineville Ave. Right now, I'm on a leave of absence. We have some rather difficult family problems to deal with, and that was going to effect ministry. So, we are taking a break and trying to deal with them.

Shalom;
Rick

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 12
RE: Happy Birthday RevRick - 8/7/2008 8:59:23 PM   
RevRick

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

You can't be that uptight of a pastor... aren't you a Free Shoes University fan?

Yeap... But that goes far back beyond the free shoes to the old Darrell Mudra stage, just before Bowden came when he was young and full of go. I hope Jimbo Fisher can restore that program to what it should be. In the meantime, I am following my alma mater - Florida Atlantic University - who just beat a Big Ten team this year and won a bowl game - Glory! Go Owls!!

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 13
RE: Happy Birthday RevRick - 8/8/2008 1:19:16 AM   
TOMLABEL

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, REV!!!!!!!!
By the way, I'm a PK.

TOMLABEL

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 14
RE: Happy Birthday RevRick - 8/8/2008 1:22:45 AM   
Big B

Ditto Big Guy!
quote:

ORIGINAL: TOMLABEL

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, REV!!!!!!!!
By the way, I'm a PK.

TOMLABEL

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 15
RE: Happy Birthday RevRick - 8/8/2008 6:16:46 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: RevRick
pasternakski and pastorrick.

oh, brother. You gotta remember, my friend, that I always wince a little whenever entering a church or other holy place, because I figure the odds are that the man upstairs is gonna get tired of my nonsense one of these days and let me have a giant lightning bolt right in the shorts.

I mean, the shock of realizing that this poor kid thought I was somebody spiritually respectable ... man, I've never been THERE before.

Anyways, hope you have plenty more pleasant birthdays to come. The world needs more good guys, and I see you as being one of them.

Now, ME, on the other hand...

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 16
RE: Happy Birthday RevRick - 8/8/2008 7:43:35 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Happy birthday Richard!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 17
RE: Happy Birthday RevRick - 8/9/2008 12:00:46 AM   
reg113

Rev, my wife is an alumn of FAU. What a hoot! Don't met many of y'all.

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 18
RE: Happy Birthday RevRick - 8/9/2008 12:48:22 AM   
RevRick

That's for sure. I was back in the old days (1974) when the student center was nicknamed the student outpost because it was 400 yards from anything else. Do they still use the runways from the old Boca Naval Air station for parking lots now? Haven't been back there in several (like 20) years.

(in reply to reg113)
Post #: 19
RE: Happy Birthday RevRick - 8/11/2008 7:00:06 PM   
reg113

She was a '78 grad. We stopped by on a trip in '00 just to look and yeah there was still parking on some of the old runway.

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Happy Birthday RevRick Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI