Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Which scenario is better for long-term play?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Which scenario is better for long-term play? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Which scenario is better for long-term play? - 8/12/2008 1:35:09 PM   
TommyBoy84

Hey all,

I'm curious.... when playing a long-term campaign from the beginning against the AI, is it better to use stock scenario 15 (with historical first turn, and Dec 7th surprise) or scenario 16? I've played the beginning of scenario 15 several times, and the beginning of scenario 16 a few times, and they seem to play out very differently, even though they start from the same date. Even after Pearl Harbor, things seem to go very differently in the Philippines, and at Wake, and more.

Which is best, in terms of realism, playability, and enjoyment?
Post #: 1
RE: Which scenario is better for long-term play? - 8/13/2008 3:36:52 AM   
FeurerKrieg

Well, I like scen 15 because you have more flexibility, but I have never played 16, so I'm not sure I'm qualified to comment.

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to TommyBoy84)
Post #: 2
RE: Which scenario is better for long-term play? - 8/13/2008 4:49:23 AM   
Anthropoid

Having played through with Scenario 15 (and without Dec 7 surprise on) to about Aug 42 against the AI, my recommendations:

Give the AI as many advantages as you can bear to give it, and grin and bear it. The AI is pretty incompetent it seems, so if you really want to have fun for a longer period of time, do things to give it early game advantages. Like maybe play on Very Hard for the first six months or something like that, or play with 3 day turns for the first few months.

I started to play a few turns on Very Hard, but turned it off because I felt like the combat outcomes were unfair (which they are) but now I've got a game that is basically boring. I've already won the Solomon Island campaign and it never actually happened! The Japs are sending 40 bombers and 30 fighters to attack Darwin, when I have nothing there and they are not moving to invade. Manila still holds out although with very low supply . . . I've managed to prevent them from taking Batavia and Palembang, and they are bogged down at Akyab.

In short, while it would have been discouraging in the short run to give the AI more advantages in the short run, I think in the long run playing it mostly on Hard instead of Very Hard and also being quite wiley and intentional in what I did has made it less likely that I will actually finish this stock campaign against AI. I've pretty much decided to start learning the RHS mod, so I prolly never will finish the stock game.

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to TommyBoy84)
Post #: 3
RE: Which scenario is better for long-term play? - 8/13/2008 6:15:08 AM   
bradfordkay

Don't worry about long term play right now. I'm pretty sure that AE will be the one that you want for that, so mess with whatever tickles your fancy right now...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Which scenario is better for long-term play? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI