Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Assault rule-on-off switch???????????????

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Assault rule-on-off switch??????????????? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Assault rule-on-off switch??????????????? - 8/13/2008 5:47:12 AM   
osiris_slith

Just reading a few things on the blitz site.

Is it true that there will be an on-off switch with the assault rules..players can choose between 1.02 and 1.03??
If true..What a horrible idea! So sad. I can see players in the community arguing about what rule they should play with.

Why not just a comprimise between 1.03 and 1.02 sounds far more intelligent.

1.03 assault rule is fine minus the bugs of course..

Osiris
Post #: 1
RE: Assault rule-on-off switch??????????????? - 8/13/2008 8:02:42 AM   
HobbesACW

I don't see a problem. Just agree before starting the scenario as per the other optional rules.
Cheers, Chris

(in reply to osiris_slith)
Post #: 2
RE: Assault rule-on-off switch??????????????? - 8/13/2008 8:22:33 AM   
osiris_slith

because it makes downloading 1.03 a joke! Had I known this I would have stayed with 1.02b and waited till 1.04..

If this is true than we might as well all go back to 1.02 because now 1.03 is a big waste of peoples time. Outside of the assault rules there are very few changes in the game. This is a bad idea and whats worse its not even a compromies. A small bunch of people who were unwilling to change or adapt there tactics have essentially sabotaged 1.03 and forced the entire community back to 1.02..

very sad

(in reply to HobbesACW)
Post #: 3
RE: Assault rule-on-off switch??????????????? - 8/13/2008 8:34:55 AM   
osiris_slith

So what happens when the same bunch of people wont like the changes in 1.04..and apparantly theres some big changes due in that version...what happens then??..do we bend over backwards to satisfy a few inflexible people?? It will make all the updates a joke if we can keep on switching from one version to another. If a few people dont like 1.03 well let them play 1.02.

Make a compromise between 1.02 and 1.03 but not an on-off switch. This is a bad idea with the word danger written all over it. It solves nothing and it will further divide the community. I will outright refuse to PBEM or tcp any games with any opponent who wants to play 1.02 rules..Now how are you going to fix that when this starts happening on the blitz site?

Good luck!

Post #: 4
RE: Assault rule-on-off switch??????????????? - 8/13/2008 10:55:28 AM   
borsook79

I really can't understand your problem. What's wrong in a optional rule? Now you also have such rules, like armour facing. If you don't like the old rules you won't be playing with those who like them. They will not be playing with those who prefer the new ones. What is wrong in having a choice??

Post #: 5
RE: Assault rule-on-off switch??????????????? - 8/13/2008 7:08:47 PM   
dgk196

'Borsook' wrote.......

quote:

What's wrong in a optional rule?

Absolutely nothing!

Dennis

(in reply to borsook79)
Post #: 6
RE: Assault rule-on-off switch??????????????? - 8/13/2008 8:52:15 PM   
Erik Rutins

Traditionally in John Tiller games, major gameplay changes post-release are added in as optional rules. It's worked in every one of those games, including the Campaign Series. There are already optional rules in the CS. Compare for example the original JT's Gettysburg to the final updated version and you'll see a lot of new options.

Most folks play with all on, but we want to respect the integrity of the final Talonsoft release version, so that this can be both an ultimate archival edition of the TS releases as well as a way to move the series forward and improve it.

I don't see the problem either, just specify what rules you want to play with when asking for a match.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to dgk196)
Post #: 7
RE: Assault rule-on-off switch??????????????? - 8/13/2008 9:07:20 PM   
dgk196

I hear you brother........

And I like the 'song' your singing........

There is always room for expansion and improvement........ in everything.

The established game shouldn't stop either of those....... but they also shouldn't override the game as it exists, they certainly can co-exist.

How are things in Vermont? Its been a long time since I put some 'machines' in up 'north' in the IBM facility, I miss the skiing, Pa doesn't have 'hills', just overgrown 'bunny-slopes'!

Dennis

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 8
RE: Assault rule-on-off switch??????????????? - 8/13/2008 10:40:53 PM   
simovitch

Playing the AI with armor facing on is like kicking a puppy IMHO.

I was against the Optional Rule option for Visibility and Assault but I can live with it. I'm hoping the vast majority of potential PBEM opponents will opt to play with it on, just like the other optional rules.

simovitch

(in reply to dgk196)
Post #: 9
RE: Assault rule-on-off switch??????????????? - 8/13/2008 11:47:39 PM   
marcbarker

Glad to see consumer choice wins out....isn't that what it is about...what the consumers want not just a consumer

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 10
RE: Assault rule-on-off switch??????????????? - 8/14/2008 3:46:47 PM   
Miamieagle

Iäm sorry but I do not see a problem with the options either!

I always like options. Its up to the payer to decide. Patch 103 gave us more than just then just the new Assult rules. I love Patch 103. I think it brought us a of bunch new equipments and Military OOB for different Nationalities. That in itself has improve this Game by miles!

(in reply to marcbarker)
Post #: 11
RE: Assault rule-on-off switch??????????????? - 8/14/2008 3:54:35 PM   
marcbarker

how true miami.......the OOB's in west front I think will be worked out in 1.04. I still get flustered loading boats on an engineering truck......pontoons are loaded the same way aren't they?

(in reply to Miamieagle)
Post #: 12
RE: Assault rule-on-off switch??????????????? - 8/14/2008 4:11:31 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: barker

how true miami.......the OOB's in west front I think will be worked out in 1.04. I still get flustered loading boats on an engineering truck......pontoons are loaded the same way aren't they?

1.04 is a small UPDATE in comparison and will be released in the next week or two.

Major WF OOB issues will be resolved in 1.05 and/or 1.06.

The methodology for loading self propelled boats and pontoon ferries is explained fairly clearly in the bootcamp document.

Jason Petho

(in reply to marcbarker)
Post #: 13
RE: Assault rule-on-off switch??????????????? - 8/14/2008 5:05:58 PM   
marcbarker

well....i dun't reed reelll welll...lol

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 14
RE: Assault rule-on-off switch??????????????? - 8/14/2008 5:07:24 PM   
marcbarker

so really west front will not have the overhaul until spring next year basically

(in reply to marcbarker)
Post #: 15
RE: Assault rule-on-off switch??????????????? - 8/14/2008 5:14:58 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

so really west front will not have the overhaul until spring next year basically

2010, 2011ish.

Jason Petho

(in reply to marcbarker)
Post #: 16
RE: Assault rule-on-off switch??????????????? - 8/14/2008 5:33:57 PM   
marcbarker

OH well...this will make it interesting now....so you are concentrating on east front first...then rising sun then west front ...then maybe dg...and basically what you are saying I bouaght the wiz bang edition for east front...with a little taste in RS and WF...and you pulled the money out of people for this....ok...that is fine...you should have stated this in your product advertisement that iDOES NOT work well in VISTA...there is issues with the other modules...so we are release East front....you will have to wait on the other 2 so sorry....you guys have done a great job for EF but you should not have packaged it with the other modules until it was ready...so this is what e bought

new rules
new nationalities that were added
functionality for one game and not the others
new oob's that won't be available till 2010

ok i am whining bu hey you heard it here first...

Post #: 17
RE: Assault rule-on-off switch??????????????? - 8/14/2008 6:07:06 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

you should have stated this in your product advertisement that iDOES NOT work well in VISTA

The product works fine with Vista, just doesn't seem to work with your install of Vista.

Jason Petho

(in reply to marcbarker)
Post #: 18
RE: Assault rule-on-off switch??????????????? - 8/14/2008 6:23:17 PM   
marcbarker

Matrix says it works with Vista they Matrix needs to specify what version it works for and Jason by the way I too have a life a full time job, full time family full time career. It would have seemed that Matrix would have stated that these updates are from a slect few users and not supported by Matrix un less they post it here. I am putting Matrix on the mat here is this an offical Supported product and what version does Matrix not the Beta Brigade Support. The issues are 2 different ones not the same. These Updates as up call them are installed at your own risk and Matrix is not responsible. There is Misleading stuff on the product advertisement about this. If these are offical release from Matrix then I will call matrix for the answers. is that not what we pay for in a product? So I take it forge of freedom is a true matrix game and is supported as such and this is a user mod game? it has one offical product release? Also since you encrypted the main files and you are not an official matrix employee then what? I just wasted alot of time and effort in this product that Matrix supposed to support....that is what I am torqued about not you Jason

Post #: 19
RE: Assault rule-on-off switch??????????????? - 8/14/2008 10:36:10 PM   
borsook79

quote:

Matrix says it works with Vista they Matrix needs to specify what version it works for

While Vista can be problematic as far as compatibility goes (and here you should rather blame Microsoft not Matrix) I do not think it is the case of a specific Vista version. With modern PCs you have so many possible combinations of hardware+system+a myriad of driver versions, that sometimes a perfectly well written application just behaves strangely on a given configuration. I've done my share of beta testing and work as hardware support and sometime it is amazing how theoretically unrelated things can conflict together.

(in reply to marcbarker)
Post #: 20
RE: Assault rule-on-off switch??????????????? - 8/14/2008 10:47:44 PM   
marcbarker

you are correct on that and could be the version of ie compatability, could be numerous things, but the point I was trying to make is that regardless of Vista whether home, premium or ultimate 32 bit or 64bit, dual core or quad core this should run smoothly that is how I read it but i have been wrong in the past and probably am this time.

(in reply to borsook79)
Post #: 21
RE: Assault rule-on-off switch??????????????? - 8/15/2008 1:51:05 AM   
Fierce

So, is it true Jason? Will there be an on/off switch? And, did you make changes in the 1.03 assault rules as a compromise as well? If the tweak was implemented I would always use the 1.03 assault rules, I just make sure I have overwhelming force. I hope you didn't just decide to leave it as is.

Dave

After all these years I still love the old tactical games.

(in reply to marcbarker)
Post #: 22
RE: Assault rule-on-off switch??????????????? - 8/15/2008 2:02:05 AM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fierce

So, is it true Jason? Will there be an on/off switch?

Yes. The Assault Rules and Visibility rules will be optional with the 1.04 UPDATE.

quote:

And, did you make changes in the 1.03 assault rules as a compromise as well? If the tweak was implemented I would always use the 1.03 assault rules, I just make sure I have overwhelming force. I hope you didn't just decide to leave it as is.

They have been enhanced.

Jason Petho

(in reply to Fierce)
Post #: 23
RE: Assault rule-on-off switch??????????????? - 8/16/2008 9:07:46 PM   
Achsah

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

quote:

So, is it true Jason? Will there be an on/off switch?

Yes. The Assault Rules and Visibility rules will be optional with the 1.04 UPDATE.

quote:

And, did you make changes in the 1.03 assault rules as a compromise as well? If the tweak was implemented I would always use the 1.03 assault rules, I just make sure I have overwhelming force. I hope you didn't just decide to leave it as is.

They have been enhanced.

Jason Petho

Thank God The assault rules of old kept the game from being an attrition slug fest at least as far as the game goes in standard size engagements. I can see some use for the optional rule in the context of a given battle..so all around using it as optional rule improves the game as a whole.

< Message edited by Pasha -- 8/16/2008 9:15:46 PM >

Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Assault rule-on-off switch??????????????? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI