Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Most memorable moment

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Most memorable moment Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Most memorable moment - 10/5/2008 3:46:28 AM   
ilovestrategy

My most memorable moment in a strategy game was about 70 years ago, ok, late 90's in a game of Civilization II.
I was the Romans at the time and a total rookie. After Spain declared war on me after a minor altercation involving the Spanish King's daughter I sent a ship over with some militia men and a diplomat and bribed a coastal city.
For an AI the Spanish were mad!
They threw everything they had at me and there were a few times I thought I would be pushed into the sea. By the time I forced my way out of the city and went on the offensive I was up to armored tanks and a carrier strike force.
Then the Americans decided to "teach" me with a missile that it's a good idea to have a destroyer in the same grid as my carrier. It was out of action for a really, really long time.

What memorable moments do you guys have in a strategy game that you never forgot even after years had passed?

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
Post #: 1
RE: Most memorable moment - 10/5/2008 4:44:19 AM   
BoredStiff

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

What memorable moments do you guys have in a strategy game that you never forgot even after years had passed?

I don't remember any specific situations, but a buddy and I hotseated a few very good games of Carrier Force, way back in the mid-80's.

In the early 90's, another friend and I hotseated a 21-inning game of Earl Weaver Baseball. I don't remember who won.
Unlike as in real-life, baseball apparently makes an excellent computer game.

All my most memorable games were played against others, not against the computer. There's nothing memorable about playing against the computer.

Edit: Actually, let me amend that last comment, re computer opponents. It applies mostly to war/strategy games.
In other genres, playing the computer is perfectly OK. Two words come to mind in that regard: Dungeon and Master

< Message edited by BoredStiff -- 10/5/2008 5:00:30 AM >

BoredStiff

[Link and Avatar removed by Moderator]

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 2
RE: Most memorable moment - 10/5/2008 6:09:31 AM   
GJK

Had countless games of ASL that came down to the final close combat roll. ASL almost always seems to come down to those last few rolls.

Had a number of close Combat Mission tournament games as well; a close 2nd to the ASL games.

(in reply to BoredStiff)
Post #: 3
RE: Most memorable moment - 10/5/2008 7:57:55 AM   
JudgeDredd

My memory is too bad to bring any moments back...although I'm sure there are a few.

More recently in Kharkov:DotD, watching the Germans head north and south and try to cut my incursion into German held territory in half.

Or...when I played the tutorial mission on COTA and thought "Is the AI actually doing that?" when it showed clever tactical awareness with probing attacks, movement under cover of dark and was able to shift it's focus of attack when an exploit was found

(in reply to BoredStiff)
Post #: 4
RE: Most memorable moment - 10/5/2008 8:07:04 AM   
E

I used to have a buddy who I'd often play CMBB via TCP/IP. We were fairly evenly matched. But on games I'd be winning, he would always concede early. Usually before I even had an inkling I was winning. I decided I'd not do that to him, as it always seemed a hollow victory to me.

So there the Wermacht was, on the Russian Front. Down to but a few small tanks. The Red hordes were coming, accompanied by an ungodly number of tanks. He had big tanks. He had large tanks. He had huge tanks. And... he had more tanks. I told my troops to stand fast. Give no ground. Fight to the last man. (Read: the game became a challenge of delaying his inevitable victory). The Field Marshalls could not go against their orders. They were forced to wait to watch the impending carnage. Their men. Their loyal men. The elite of the Wermacht. The remnants of Panzergruppe -E, waited. The sound of countless metal tracks could be heard clanking and squeaking and grinding over the hills to the east. All was still save those sounds, that echoed from every direction. The end was near. Every pixelated symbolic man knew it. The men knew their duty to the fatherland. The final battle was upon them.

To cut a long story short, a few bad tactics and some bad luck on the part of the evil Bolsheviks and I actually won that game! To this day, I'm still incredulous. But it gave meaning to the famous Winston Churchill post-war graduation speech... "Never, never, never, never, ...(ad infinitum)... never, give up."

I often cite this true experience to grandkids when they are "down" in or about something. (I also quote the Churchill speech to them, but their eyes usually glaze over when I try to explain who he was)

Post #: 5
RE: Most memorable moment - 10/5/2008 2:24:13 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

Well not years ago (a couple of months really), I played a game of FoF against the AI on the highest settings (which provides a huge morale boost to the AI, which in turn means that the AI units will not rout but has to be killed on the field). My Army of Virginia under the command of 5star general R.E.Lee was defending and took up position around a hill, formed what seemed to be an impregnetable line, artillery placed on top of the hill, infantery at the bottom of the hill, well dug in.

Numbers were on the AI's side, as he fielded some 200.000 men against my 120.000, but my units had the advantage in better weapons and better morale so I was not too afraid.

As the Union troops marched down on my lines I started blasting away, and forced a few brigades off the field, however the Unions main force locked onto my line, and a fierce melee started. Only at this point did I realise that one of my units were really really depleated, and after the first attack it fled. That was not too big an issue had it not been for the fact that its commanding officer was....Stonewall Jackson (one of the better generals in the game), and that first volley shot him down. Now this was a big loss in itself, however the enemy now attacked a unit beside the brigade that just fled. This again resulted in that brigade breaking as well, enlarging the gap in my line and threatening to divide my army in two.

All I had available to plug the hole was another understrength brigade, and now I made another big mistake, I just moved it in without paying enough attention...It did not pass the roll to deploy into line formation and was left in coloumn (making its losses from attacks significally higher), AND its attached general was Longstreet (another outstanding general). And yes, the brigade fled, Longstreet was hit and the enemy brigades would not flee anywere. I tried to shorten my line, with the result that my units were no longer dug in resulting in higher casualties.
Gratefully my Spencer equipped Cavalery brigades were starting to take its toll on the Union right flank, and started to roll up that entire flank, which eventually led me to a tactical victory but a strategic loss (2 outstanting generals and 12.000 dead is something the CSA cannot easily replace). I spent close to 3 hrs on that one battle, and I felt exhausted afterwards..

Post #: 6
RE: Most memorable moment - 10/6/2008 9:16:39 AM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: GJK
Had countless games of ASL that came down to the final close combat roll. ASL almost always seems to come down to those last few rolls.

Had a number of close Combat Mission tournament games as well; a close 2nd to the ASL games.

Most memorable moment ?

A game of Third Reich where my panzers took Paris on cue, but in an incredible display of die rolling the Allied player managed to take it back, attacking at 1-2 odds and such. It essentially meant game over for me. Now, most 3rd Reich players have encountered this once, but is there anyone out there who was on the receiving end of such a play *twice* - I was.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 7
RE: Most memorable moment - 10/6/2008 9:43:21 AM   
undercovergeek

During the first edition of Medieval Total War as England i was excommunicated, i didnt really know what the full consequences of this was going to be until a crusade was called against me and the HRE forces started building up in Calais ready for the crossing, after 2 turns of watching the enemy stack grow bigger and bigger i bought an assassin and a ship and sent him across a safe part of the channel. For the next 7 or 8 turns while simultaneously trying to fend off the HRE who had gained a foothold in Sussex and were bearing down on London i sent the assassin on many practice missions as he made his way across Europe heading for Rome. By the time the HRE was about to launch an all out attack on London, my assassin arrived in Rome, now with 4 levels of experience - the Germans launched their attack, were defeated by a final sally from the gates and chased across the fields, and the assassin killed the Pope - no more excommunication and a sadly depleted HRE...... for me a great gaming moment having come up with a plan and executing it perfectly over 3-4 hours game play.

This and winning the Premiership for the first time in Championship Manager

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 8
RE: Most memorable moment - 10/6/2008 10:17:17 AM   
Hertston

My most 'memorable' moment was winning my third game of 'The Wargamer: Napoleon 1813' (having won the first two) without moving any armies or recruiting any soldiers at all.  Man was I pissed; especially at one reviewer who gave what is possibly the worst wargame ever an 80% review.

Other than that,my memory is lousy but I do have a vague recollection of both when I first did the spaceship thing in Civ 1, an winning the European Cup with Halifax Town in Championship Manager something-or-other.

(in reply to undercovergeek)
Post #: 9
RE: Most memorable moment - 10/6/2008 10:21:12 AM   
undercovergeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

an winning the European Cup with Halifax Town in Championship Manager something-or-other.

i did it with leeds and scarborough - but thats good going!!

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 10
RE: Most memorable moment - 10/6/2008 11:39:55 AM   
Grell

Master of Orion (the original version), I was playing against all the races and I was getting slammed into obscurity until I changed my tactic and started doing quick deep strikes into enemy territory. Then I developed a planet killer dreadnought and that was the end of my problems.

Regards,

Grell

Post #: 11
RE: Most memorable moment - 10/6/2008 1:41:05 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: undercovergeek
i did it with leeds and scarborough - but thats good going!!

Actually Halifax were a doddle as I recall (lol... starting to come back now!) They had just been relegated to the Conference and in the game had far better players than anybody else in it; some bloke called Lucketti could always be relied upon to score fifty goals a season. You walked the Conference, and that good start seemed to make subsequent progress up the divisions relatively easy. I never did manage it with Plymouth!

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Most memorable moment Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI