Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Worthy AI ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Worthy AI ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Worthy AI ? - 10/30/2008 5:16:27 PM   
delusan

Does the AI provide a good challenge?
Post #: 1
RE: Worthy AI ? - 10/30/2008 9:31:39 PM   
Venator

Well it does a fairly decent job as the CP, slightly less so as the Allies as it seems sluggish to commit the British. It's unlikely to make you fight much beyond '16 but it does vary its play and learns your strategies and adopts counter-measures in future games.

I think it is a very good AI. But not too challenging, though games with challenging AIs (barring ones that just cheat) are damn rare birds.

I've played against the AI more often than against a human and I still find the AI games enjoyable enough as a way to pass the time and/or experiment with ideas.

(in reply to delusan)
Post #: 2
RE: Worthy AI ? - 10/30/2008 11:09:27 PM   
delusan

Interesting Venator ... actually adjusts its strategies and changes its play to counteract from game to game?  What do you mean 'it's unlikely to make you fight much beyond 1916" ?

(in reply to Venator)
Post #: 3
RE: Worthy AI ? - 10/30/2008 11:31:37 PM   
ILCK

The AI is actually pretty good and better than a lot. It usually does not make glaring mistakes you can exploit. It understands what are important areas to defend and will hold them and hold them quite aggressively. It will launch counterattacks. It handles the naval side of things pretty darn well and hold up in diplomacy and research as well.

The AI is much weaker as the CP's since it has to be the aggressor. The TE can afford to be more passive and win. Where is it weakest:

1. Aggression. The AI will attack you and it will repeatedly hit a particular area to crack your defenses but it doesn't do a good job of mounting a big push in a particular area and then exploiting that push. The AI will crack your lines but never shatter them.

2. Balancing resources. I will here point in particular to the German example. The AI, against me, always goes east. They leave a solid force to defend the Rhine but not enough to face down the whole French Army. Once I crack the Rhine lines they never really bleed off enough forces from the depths of the east to stop the much more pressing threat to the Rhine Valley. That balancing act is a problem.

Venator is correct that the UK forces are not heavily committed by the AI but also that once you become good enough you will defeat your foes by late 1916/ early 1917 in most cases.

(in reply to delusan)
Post #: 4
RE: Worthy AI ? - 10/31/2008 2:29:48 PM   
hjaco

AI is good enough to get you into the game in solid terms still providing you with entertainment and challenge.

In the long run when you grasp the game more and more you need to play a human opponent to get real competition (as with most PC games).

The game is utterly unforgiving if making serious mistakes and as you learn to read the AI you will have to not use that to not getting the upper hand too quickly.

One final note though. This game is especially suited to playing PBEM as it is strategic wise very much about reading your opponents intentions and mask your own.

(in reply to ILCK)
Post #: 5
RE: Worthy AI ? - 10/31/2008 7:45:53 PM   
delusan

OK ... thanks guys.  Very informative and helpful (as usual on the Matrix forums).  I think i'll give GOA a try. 

(in reply to hjaco)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Worthy AI ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI