Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Multiple Units?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Multiple Units? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Multiple Units? - 11/9/2008 4:19:45 PM   
2ndACR

Question........I have been getting multiple of the same Legendary units. I have had 2 Stonewall brigades and a couple of others. Is this normal or a bug?

I am also getting a popup during combat that says "smart save 3.01.02" or something close to that. It pops up very fast and then drops away.
Post #: 1
RE: Multiple Units? - 11/9/2008 4:33:30 PM   
Hard Sarge

first is a known issue, looks like units you get at start, and then the random ones can be the same, I don't think you should be getting the double after the first turn ?

the 2nd I do not know anything about ??

there is a auto save, but I have never seen it put up a popup saying it is doing it

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 2
RE: Multiple Units? - 11/9/2008 5:02:42 PM   
2ndACR

Does not say it is doing anything, it just pops up and goes away wothin 2 seconds.......very irritating as it always blocks something important. And if it is auto saving........why on earth would it do so every 20-30 seconds?

Plus I have that feature disabled in the menu options.

Okay on the units.......just thought it funny and all.....

Another question.......how come all my re-inforcements onto the battle map never bring any extra supply wagons? Very big pain to try and resupply 100,000 men with 3-4 supply wagons.

I could fill this with questions........another one......I have only been able to capture a max of 6 brigades in a battle........I have had 12 surrounded at one time and they all disappeared on me and I only captured 3 out of that group........very annoying. Even when I am in hot pursuit, they will just vanish after 3 turns. Except the supply wagons.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 3
RE: Multiple Units? - 11/9/2008 5:13:39 PM   
Hard Sarge

well, I was trying to say, I have not seen that popup, so I do not think it is from the game, what it could be I am not sure

that is the way it was designed ?, it has been talked about

think that is just bad luck on the numbers, I can capture more then that, alot of times it is timing, or set up, best if you can use terrian to help with the blocking

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 4
RE: Multiple Units? - 11/9/2008 5:16:11 PM   
Hard Sarge

just showing it can be done

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 5
RE: Multiple Units? - 11/9/2008 5:31:18 PM   
2ndACR

Okay, how about another one........Can a generals stats get better over time, I use the random stats? Just wondering because I sometimes have a great general with excellent on the first 3 and then a bad command er and a terrible cavalry........any way to make him a good commander and good cavalry or is he stuck with what he has?

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 6
RE: Multiple Units? - 11/9/2008 7:12:25 PM   
ericbabe

I don't think that popup window is from Forge of Freedom -- perhaps it's something from your anti-viral software, I'm not sure.  There is no automatic save during combat.

As I recall, generals' stats can improve (or decline) randomly at promotion.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 7
RE: Multiple Units? - 11/9/2008 7:15:47 PM   
Ironclad

Generally they stay the same although there is a small chance of a very slight change on promotion/demotion - not that noticeable over a full game.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 8
RE: Multiple Units? - 11/9/2008 7:20:58 PM   
2ndACR

Okay.......I was curious on that popup.......I have only ever seen it on FOF and only during the detailed combat. It is just annoying really. I have no clue what it is, but will try and get the name of it and all.

Well, wish they would get better, nothing like having all my high ranking commanders being fair and normal. Just feels wrong to take that 1 star that just showed up with excellent and superior on every stat and making him my army commander without a single battle under his belt. Only bad stat is none for cavalry.

(in reply to Ironclad)
Post #: 9
RE: Multiple Units? - 11/9/2008 10:11:32 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR
I could fill this with questions........another one......I have only been able to capture a max of 6 brigades in a battle........I have had 12 surrounded at one time and they all disappeared on me and I only captured 3 out of that group........very annoying. Even when I am in hot pursuit, they will just vanish after 3 turns. Except the supply wagons.

The surrounded brigades needs to be completely surrounded, AND there can be no free spot within the circle you have created. One free spot allows the enemy brigades to run inside your circle and then they will not surrender.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 10
RE: Multiple Units? - 11/10/2008 12:51:21 AM   
2ndACR

I have tried that.......after about 3 turns or so, any units I have surrounded completely just vanish. So it is a race against time every time. 1 out of 3 surrenders and the others just vanish, I wonder if these cut off units that vanish might be split sections and I did not catch all of the brigade. Hence I get no credit for the brigade.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 11
RE: Multiple Units? - 11/10/2008 1:10:31 AM   
terje439

Nope, working as intended.

After the retreat is sounded all brigades "vanish" after turn 3.
From what I've gathered this was implemented due to the fact that mass pursuit and capturing of brigades were not common in the ACW.

But, if the units are completely surrounded at turn 2 the latest, and there is no free hex within your circle, most of the surrounded units will surrender.

As you play a few more games you will learn when the AI is about to sound the retreat, and can start moving to start surrounding its units before the retreat is sounded.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 12
RE: Multiple Units? - 11/10/2008 3:52:06 AM   
haruntaiwan

Heh heh,

I love the list of units hard sarge captured. I like to get those too. Especially Berdan's Sharpshooters. Hopefully you picked up their rifles.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 13
RE: Multiple Units? - 11/10/2008 1:37:22 PM   
Hard Sarge

pick up garbage from the battle field ? naw

Attachment (1)

(in reply to haruntaiwan)
Post #: 14
RE: Multiple Units? - 11/10/2008 6:51:45 PM   
2ndACR

Okay....I musted have missed the 3 turn rule. Not a problem. Of course I just captured 9 brigades, but moved into column too soon and took about 1800 needless casualties.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 15
RE: Multiple Units? - 11/22/2008 7:46:25 PM   
Mutation2241

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

just showing it can be done

Tons of units will surrender when beeing cut off from any area they can retreat to. This one happened just by pure chance:

[URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL]

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 16
RE: Multiple Units? - 11/22/2008 7:58:18 PM   
Mutation2241

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

Question........I have been getting multiple of the same Legendary units.

That can only happen at the start of a new game; otherwise if theres one particular Legendary Unit on the board, it won't be build a second time afaik ah nevamind question already answered above

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Multiple Units? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI