Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Clearing a path through a minefield

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Clearing a path through a minefield Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Clearing a path through a minefield - 11/21/2008 5:38:52 PM   
HvMoltke

May be this was already subject of a thread.
I try to get a landing force on an island that is secured by a minefield. I try to clear a path through the minefield
Question:
a)do I add a minesweeper to each transport TF/ bombardment TF

b) do I send a MS-TF/ multiple MS TF`s seperatly.

I`m playing modded Scenario 5 as Japan. I tried to cut off Tulagi from its supply line after the US took it in the first days of the scenario. As I`m now strong enough to retake it my own minefield
is in the way.
I`m sure there are a lot of people in the forum who can help me
Hellmuth
Post #: 1
RE: Clearing a path through a minefield - 11/21/2008 6:41:59 PM   
engineer

The answer is yes.  MSW attached to transport task forces will sweep mines.  DMS class ships will sweep mines for surface action and bombardment TF's.  However, as the Japanese player you don't have DMS class ships.  You have some some 20 knot MSW in the campaign game order of battle, but I don't know if those sweep mines in combat TF's or just provide ASW/ordinary combat effects. 

Another solution is to put a MSW TF in front of your other task forces and have them follow the MSW TF to Tulagi.  They will follow in the lanes swept by the MSW TF. 

"My own minefield"  ??  If you had a defensive minefield  at a port and the enemy captures the port, the minefield remains your minefield and you should be able to move into the hex safely.  If you have an offensive minefield at a port and you subsequently capture the port, it flips and may attack your own ships. 

(in reply to HvMoltke)
Post #: 2
RE: Clearing a path through a minefield - 11/21/2008 6:57:33 PM   
HvMoltke

Hi engineer
Thanx for your help.
quote:

"My own minefield" ?? If you had a defensive minefield at a port and the enemy captures the port, the minefield remains your minefield and you should be able to move into the hex safely. If you have an offensive minefield at a port and you subsequently capture the port, it flips and may attack your own ships.

It was a offensive minefield and stands now in my way

quote:

Another solution is to put a MSW TF in front of your other task forces and have them follow the MSW TF to Tulagi. They will follow in the lanes swept by the MSW TF.

So the catch is to set the other TFs to follow the MSW TF.
Didn`t have that in my mind.

Hellmuth

(in reply to engineer)
Post #: 3
RE: Clearing a path through a minefield - 11/30/2008 2:47:43 AM   
Xxzard

That flip rule is annoying, although logical. Once, when invading a base my bombardment tf went through the mines and the CA Myoko hit a mine...my own mine!!! (learning experience)

On the other hand, in a vs AI game, mines laid at baker island caught the USS Yorktown there, although as is typical of the AI it didn't really seem to care and continued operations...

(in reply to HvMoltke)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Clearing a path through a minefield Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI