Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Marching orders ignored

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Marching orders ignored Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Marching orders ignored - 12/14/2008 3:17:36 PM   
tocaff

I'm playing a stock PBEM and sadly I have amassed a very large, well supplied and supported force in a certain Chinese coastal city and when I try to give a unit orders to move all of 1 hex it won't take. I mean that I click to order to march, indicate the vacant hex to move to and nothing has changed in the unit's orders. What gives? Am I an IJN admiral trying to order IJA troops?

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
Post #: 1
RE: Marching orders ignored - 12/14/2008 3:24:03 PM   
Local Yokel

Is the unit in question in a hex also containing an enemy unit? If so, you may need to order the unit to march to another base under your control, then check the direction of march to see whether it will pass through the hex to which you want it to move.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 2
RE: Marching orders ignored - 12/14/2008 4:18:36 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Local Yokel

Is the unit in question in a hex also containing an enemy unit? If so, you may need to order the unit to march to another base under your control, then check the direction of march to see whether it will pass through the hex to which you want it to move.

If this is the case and the hex you want to enter belongs to the opponent, you've run into a limitation of the game engine--it's working as designed (WAD)--and you're SOL.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to Local Yokel)
Post #: 3
RE: Marching orders ignored - 12/14/2008 4:20:42 PM   
Shark7

Run into this problem several times myself, its weird.

Example:  Pucheng there are no troops anywhere except in the city itself, yet you cannot march from the hex north of pucheng to the hex west of puching.  However, if you have a unit to the south of pucheng, it can march into the west hex.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Local Yokel)
Post #: 4
RE: Marching orders ignored - 12/14/2008 5:02:36 PM   
tocaff

OK, I'll run the risk of my opponent seing this.

I'm in Canton and I want to move troops 1 hex north of it.  That hex is vacant so why no movement?

Todd

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 5
RE: Marching orders ignored - 12/14/2008 5:06:55 PM   
Grotius

You could edit the title of your first post to declare this thread off-limit to your opponent. People usually respect that.

Maybe try setting a destination of a city or hex further north and see if that "takes"? For some reason the land engine sometimes responds better to more-distant destinations than closer ones.

< Message edited by Grotius -- 12/14/2008 5:07:13 PM >

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 6
RE: Marching orders ignored - 12/14/2008 5:13:24 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: tocaff

I'm in Canton and I want to move troops 1 hex north of it.  That hex is vacant so why no movement?

That hex is probably owned by your opponent. The game engine regards you as 'surrounded' in those circumstances and so prohibits your moving. Yes, it's dumb, but it's working as designed. You probably won't move even if you try to move to a base hex that you own. The game engine is that dumb.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 7
RE: Marching orders ignored - 12/14/2008 6:07:41 PM   
stldiver

Hit the " w" key that will show it A for allied control or J for Japanese control or nothing for neutral control or nobody has walked past.

This is good for supply movement as no japanese supply will flow thru an A hex and no allied supply will flow thru a J hex.

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 8
RE: Marching orders ignored - 12/14/2008 8:01:28 PM   
tocaff

Problem solved on the next turn I ordered an advance on a city hex and it took.

Thanks to all.

Todd

(in reply to stldiver)
Post #: 9
RE: Marching orders ignored - 12/14/2008 8:24:56 PM   
Yamato hugger

quote:

Because the hex you are in has enemy units in it. You can move from an occupied hex (base or non-base hex) to a friendly uncontested base ONLY. And only if you have a clear path to move. If the movement path has enemy occupied or controlled hexes in it (and Im not talking about "any" path here, but the path the unit takes - ie rail hexes, roads, paths in that order) it will go to 59 miles and sit there forever.

Ground movement has some serious issues in this game, and they arent likely to ever get fixed. Live and learn.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 10
RE: Marching orders ignored - 12/14/2008 8:49:38 PM   
tocaff

There were no enemy troops in either the hex of origin or destination.  Go figure............

Todd

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 11
RE: Marching orders ignored - 12/15/2008 8:27:42 AM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yamato hugger

quote:

Because the hex you are in has enemy units in it. You can move from an occupied hex (base or non-base hex) to a friendly uncontested base ONLY. And only if you have a clear path to move. If the movement path has enemy occupied or controlled hexes in it (and Im not talking about "any" path here, but the path the unit takes - ie rail hexes, roads, paths in that order) it will go to 59 miles and sit there forever.

Ground movement has some serious issues in this game, and they arent likely to ever get fixed. Live and learn.

This one is the one that breaks the illusion for me. It tells me the original game designers don't understand land combat operations.

Harry Erwin

Post #: 12
RE: Marching orders ignored - 12/15/2008 3:18:51 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yamato hugger

quote:

Yes it does have issues, to the point that in my PBEM we've agreed to a 6 month cease fire in one area due to strange things happening to our troops. We're hoping we can get every one moving again soon.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Marching orders ignored Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI