Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AP and costs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge >> AP and costs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AP and costs - 1/9/2009 12:17:55 PM   
Hard Sarge

to be honest, I would like to know what is going on with them

you can be standing, and target a enemy, and it will cost 13/13, decide that if you do, you are too exposed, so you kneel down, then check the target, it will cost you 12/12 ?

shot a enemy and he falls down, while falling, your cross hair tells you the next shot will be 8/8, but the target is bouncing all around, so you wait for him to stop, then the cost is 9/8

now the one that is bugging me, my guy has a fancy highpowered rifle, first shot is like 12-13, but then the 2nd shot will show 9/7, finally get some AP Cap built up, fire the first round, and then 2nd shot comes up and the cost is 13/12 (now 3 rounds in a row, the 2nd shell shows it will cost 9, but now that I got 9 saved up, the cost is 13, the next round, fired and my 2nd shot comes up 9/7 again)

Post #: 1
RE: AP and costs - 1/9/2009 1:27:53 PM   
Joram

Hi Hard Sarge,
I noticed this too and reasoned it was due to the max aim button being pressed.  It should allocate the maximum available AP up to it's limit or what you have available (and furthermore more than the min).  So say min aim costs 10 AP, you have max aim pressed that costs 5 more AP for 15 AP.  If you had 15 AP then that's what it would cost.  But if you say you knelt so now you only have 13 AP, then that is what it will cost.  If you move again so that you have <10 AP, then you won't be able to fire at all.

Does that make sense?  That's my conjecture after noticing the behaviour too but to be honest I haven't devoted any time to testing to be sure.  If you are experiencing this without the max aim button pressed, then I have no idea!

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 2
RE: AP and costs - 1/9/2009 2:15:10 PM   
Reinforce

What weapon? Addons? Same target? Did your target fall over after the first shot? Did you have a line of sight?

Max aim only costs me 4 points.

Much Love,
Reinforce

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 3
RE: AP and costs - 1/9/2009 2:34:19 PM   
R@S

I think there is also a 1 AP cost if you have to re-acquire the target. If the enemy falls down you'll have to do that and the AI doesn't calculate that until the target stops bouncing around, hence the 8/8 and then the 9/8 cost.

There might be a higher AP cost with scoped rifles. I've noticed that to and it has to do with the enemy falling down or not. My guess is that the cost then is 3 AP's. The devs should know about that, I think it's one of them hard-coded thingies.

These are just logical assumptions on my part and I would also like to know if they are correct.

(in reply to Reinforce)
Post #: 4
RE: AP and costs - 1/9/2009 3:17:00 PM   
Reinforce

Na AP costs arn't hard coded that much I do know. Got crazy one day and set everything to 0 to see what would happen. Oddly it was a worse idea then it seemed. Although I did take the AP cost out of useing my backpack. So I could reload for 5 AP manualy not 7. 1 AP to pick up the item, 5 AP to reload the weapon and 1 AP to drop whatever ammo I had left back in my bag. Was annoying so I changed it. Also makes getting a grenade or handgun out cheaper. Never put that change into my mod though. :P

Much Love,
Reinforce

(in reply to R@S)
Post #: 5
RE: AP and costs - 1/9/2009 4:03:02 PM   
R@S

Reinforce, do you know the actual AP cost for re-acquiring a target? Or are they still MIA?

(in reply to Reinforce)
Post #: 6
RE: AP and costs - 1/9/2009 4:22:08 PM   
Joram

The APs were only an example, it doesn't actually matter what they are for my conjecture to work.

I wasn't aware of any re-acquiring AP cost though that could explain small changes too.

(in reply to R@S)
Post #: 7
RE: AP and costs - 1/9/2009 4:25:07 PM   
Reinforce

1 ap to change targets. When a tango falls over for whatever reason you need to change your target to them. Oh and note that it costs you 50 BP which is your blue bar to change target that always made me giggle alittle. However there's also the look cost factor as well when changeing targets. If you have to rotate to get your gun aimed at the new target. So becouse I'm to lazy to type atm here ya go. Alittle screen shot of what you wanna know.

Much love,
Reinforce

PS Use Invantory is 1 ap cost in vanilla HGs I changed that myself.

(in reply to R@S)
Post #: 8
RE: AP and costs - 1/9/2009 4:31:45 PM   
R@S

Thanks Reinforce. I guess my assumption about scoped rifles are wrong. Or could it be that the "first shot" penalty gets added when re-acquiring a target with a scope?

(in reply to Reinforce)
Post #: 9
RE: AP and costs - 1/9/2009 4:42:16 PM   
Reinforce

Scoped rifles cost more AP then none scoped.. depending we talking sniper rifles? If so then I think there's an extra AP cost.. I think. Never honestly played with "Aim Time" to see what it does.. I should though.. hmmm... Also like I said if your character needs to Physicaly move there is a cost for that. Even turning alittle counts as a turn from what I've seen. I know myself prone with a .50 sniper rifle it's not uncommon for my shots to cost me 21-25 AP on the first shot. Goes down abit after the first shot but if the target moves even alittle to the left/right then it'll cost almost the same as your character needs to physicaly move. You might not notice that big of a change in your mercs angle but it's there and it's annoying.

Your first shots always the most expensive. Follow ups are cheaper. I'm sure you've all seen that so I don't need to go into details. But as I stated above there's heavy costs in aiming/reaiming when a targets on the "run" so to speak. Forward and back seems to also have re-aiming costs. Please note all orientations are based on you being behind your merc watching the tango infront of you.

There is some flaky things that do crop up now and then with the poor LoS and that costing ap. Sometimes when you click to shoot and your merc says you can't the AP for the pre-aiming is spent and sometimes needs to be respent when you do fire. It's very annoying but I think that's a bug in the LoS side of the game.. or we can call it a random feature. Eather way it's there and it's annoying.

Much Love,
Reinforce

(in reply to R@S)
Post #: 10
RE: AP and costs - 1/9/2009 7:30:26 PM   
SlickWilhelm

This is a very interesting discussion.

Is it just me, or do mercs tend to miss with a first shot more often when they're not already pointing at the target? I've found that if I "look" at the target first, before I "shoot", then I seem to get more hits on the first shot.

Could be my imagination, though.

Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42

(in reply to Reinforce)
Post #: 11
RE: AP and costs - 1/9/2009 7:35:11 PM   
R@S

I've experienced the same thing and always look in the enemy direction before shooting off that first bullet. Could be superstition.

(in reply to SlickWilhelm)
Post #: 12
RE: AP and costs - 1/9/2009 7:51:22 PM   
Reinforce

Depends that could be the case if your shots costing more ap then what you have. The Max Aim button will use however much AP is left over after everything else is taken out of the AP pool up to 4 it is capped after all. It's just a shortcut so you don't have to click 5 times. Beyond that buy a lucky rabbits foot. :P

Much Love,
Reinforce

< Message edited by Reinforce -- 1/9/2009 7:52:07 PM >

(in reply to R@S)
Post #: 13
RE: AP and costs - 1/9/2009 8:28:54 PM   
rx178

AP system in this game very annoying, My sniper can only take 1 shot per turn even have max 25 AP because it take 12-13 AP at first shot if it miss or not I have to move my sniper for cover or change the targets.

(in reply to Reinforce)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge >> AP and costs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI