Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Football Pro- Which Version Is The Best?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Football Pro- Which Version Is The Best? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Football Pro- Which Version Is The Best? - 1/18/2009 3:32:50 AM   
red07

Guys,

Which version of Football Pro do you consider the best?

And which patches/utilities do I need to get to make Football Pro '99 somewhat playable?

Are there any sites on the web today that still have all the patches and utilities for these games? Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Football Pro- Which Version Is The Best? - 1/18/2009 4:37:54 AM   
quixian

For single player against the AI, IMO its FB Pro 98 all the way.  Better stability in Windows than FB Pro 96 and plays like an actual football game (with the right playbooks / rosters) unlike 99, which doesn't resemble football in any way, shape, or form.  The graphics are 3d in 99 but the game has always been incredibly broken.  The only reason I would give to recommend 99 would be if you prefer graphics above all else (controls, AI, options, and utility support).

I'd actually recommend NFL Fever 99 if you're looking for a PC arcade style game that's not Madden - but for the fact that the utilities that were developed for that title are completely missing from the web and I lost the copies I had of them.  With the mods and utilities installed, Fever 99 actually played a fun game of football.

(in reply to red07)
Post #: 2
RE: Football Pro- Which Version Is The Best? - 1/18/2009 8:29:32 AM   
Tullius

quote:

And which patches/utilities do I need to get to make Football Pro '99 somewhat playable?

The problem i had with FBPro99 was that after the 4th season every time my league crushed. Then you have find out where the game crushes and where not. The next thing is edit playbooks because some elements do not working. I had a playbook where no long passes were included because they were almost a TD. Then you should restrain the OL in passing plays. I remember that my C had the tendency to knock down the MLB in a zone when a pass play was called.

After many hours and testing i had a reasonable game but the league crush bug ruined it for me.

When you play FBPro98 as single player you have to manage all teams to get reasonable results. After the 1st season the AI has the tendency to ruin teams. Many teams will not enough players on a position. You will have teams which have only 4 DL and when a DL is out of play in a game the AI will use a CB as DT. These CB will have the strength like a DT because the game had here a bug. The ratings should be relative and work inside of a position group but where absolute.

FBPro had trades between the AI. Something MF has not. But i would recommend to turn it off because the AI will only trade scrub players and then his 5th AI for a 11th WR.

Before you make a draft you should edit all rookies otherwise you will see a talent gap between players of your first season and then produced rookies (esp. endurance will be big problem). Sierra did never made a good job to produce ratings on a systematic basis.

At the end i have used many utilties to improve the game and i despite all problems i enjoyed the time. The leading utility designers were E.A.Gelat and Sundby but almost all tools were shareware. At that time it was investemnt of more than 50 Dollars (or much more). Then some others wrote some additional little tools. I remember of a play analysis tool.

Even when Sierra provided many play books you have to study the VPNFL playbooks. The standart plays produced questionable stats like a running averages between 0 - 1 yards, too many sacks and only few interceptions. The interception problem is everlasting. An interception will only occur when a pass deflected by a DL or a DB sits in a deep zone.

(in reply to quixian)
Post #: 3
RE: Football Pro- Which Version Is The Best? - 1/18/2009 12:12:07 PM   
therhino

Wow another non MFB thread...

(in reply to Tullius)
Post #: 4
RE: Football Pro & Maximum Football - 1/18/2009 3:53:37 PM   
Marauders

I like FBPro'97 better than FBPro'98 in some ways because it had more features, and I liked the uniform color editor better, but FBPro'98 had some small game AI upgrades with the quarterback and a few other areas, so it is the default standard.

If we are talking about creating plays, Maximum Football's PDS is actually more powerful than what FBPro has to offer.  The gameplan tools are similar, but Maximum Football does not limit the number of plays in the playbooks.  One should keep a playbook clean and efficient in any case, but there is not an artificial limitation. 

(in reply to therhino)
Post #: 5
RE: Football Pro & Maximum Football - 1/18/2009 4:44:14 PM   
Mrgravyard50

I Started playing with FB Pro 98 again. I found a new site. GNFL.
They have made new plays that work and only a few sacks.
As for the Ints. I have ben trying different things. Right now the only thing that works good is to set the HANDS to 93 for the safties and the CB's. I get a few ints..
I just wish someone could fix 99... :(

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 6
RE: Football Pro & Maximum Football - 1/18/2009 5:46:01 PM   
Marauders

quote:

I just wish someone could fix 99... :(

It's too bad Maximum Football wasn't an updated FBPro'99.  Then again, even if it was, it wouldn't allow NFL teams out of the box.

Although David didn't intend for Maximum Football to be a replacement for FBPro'98, there are many FBPro features that have made it into Maximum Football.  The gameplan tool is similar, as is training camp.

(in reply to Mrgravyard50)
Post #: 7
RE: Football Pro & Maximum Football - 1/18/2009 5:51:23 PM   
redwolf1

I enjoyed FPS Football Pro 98 very much, but it took a lot of work to keep it simulating a pro franchise (with utilities and adjustments). Unfortunately, '99 is a total dud, imho. Was excited when I first acquired it about 1 1/2 years ago, thinking it couldn't be that bad...it was. It was an obviously unfinished game with serious flaws (one being long passes as was mentioned above).

Oh, the irony of this thread, however. We have some of the same posters who were complaining about the Madden related post being off-topic and inappropriate for this forum posting here.

...well, what's it going to be: only MaxFB related posts or a gentlemanly conversations about any PC football related topic?

I hope it is the latter as can be seen we are pretty much all PC football enthusiasts here that can share information...even being a developer's forum for MaxFB. Either way, it needs to be consistent.

(in reply to Mrgravyard50)
Post #: 8
RE: Football Pro & Maximum Football - 1/18/2009 6:39:33 PM   
Marauders

quote:

Oh, the irony of this thread, however. We have some of the same posters who were complaining about the Madden related post being off-topic and inappropriate for this forum posting here.

Actually, I thought someone would bring that up, and both you and Rhino have.

As with the Madden and Backbreaker posts, I will likely leave this one open a bit to see where it goes, how much it is releated to Maximum Football, and how deep it goes into other companies' products.  FBPro has not been in development for over a decade, so it isn't really on the same page as Madden, but I don't think we would want a bunch of threads dealing with the use of Gelat or Sundby tools here either.  There are other boards for that.

I have been consistant with this, and I have locked very few threads.  Considering this is the developer and publisher's official board for Maximum Football, that has been pretty lenient.

As far as Madden goes, I often direct people with questions over to the Football Freaks board, which is an independent multi-platform board.  As you know, the group there is much better at answering Madden questions dealing with modding utilities than on this board.  I have no idea why anyone would get upset because I have board policy to follow and I direct them to a better place to have their questions answered.  I would also believe that Football Freaks would want the additional conversation over there.

So the answer is basically that topics about other games have been allowed, but when topics are specifically about how to use that game or mod that game, they go beyond general discussion and become defacto advertisements for a competitor's product, which is against the rules of this board.

(in reply to redwolf1)
Post #: 9
RE: Football Pro & Maximum Football - 1/19/2009 1:19:45 AM   
GlennN

I liked FB Pro 97 better than 98. Gameplay just seemed better to me; simmed results seemed more accurate. The MaxFB PDS is certainly more detailed than FBPro, but it is too big a learning curve. I only created a handful of plays for FBPro - I haven't really created any for MaxFB - too intimidating! I, too, hoped MaxFB would be the next generation of FB Pro. If only David could have hung in there for another version or two (Gee, I hate when real life gets in the way of things!).

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 10
RE: Football Pro & Maximum Football - 1/19/2009 4:13:47 PM   
Bobolini

I actually loved the original Front Page Sports...it was raw, innovative and a classic. Never cared to play NFL teams (Football Pro series) in this. Used to play in a on-line league with 98 though. Custom teams, modded gameplans, plays and we sim the games. This or Maximum really aren't designed for joysticking. There is an old utility site that i used to use all the time. Check it out...
http://www.gelat.com/fpssite/index.html

(in reply to GlennN)
Post #: 11
RE: Football Pro & Maximum Football - 1/19/2009 8:04:07 PM   
mbsports

I always felt that FB Pro and Sierra in general provided the foundation for the simulation sports industry and a lot of it I just remember to this day.  For instance in FPS Baseball I remember Tommy Glavine's no hitter with my Tigers that I was playing, that game was the only time I've had a no no in a simulation baseball game and I think on one of my old PCs I have the box score still. 

Football is a strange journey that got me to this place.  I started the first version of MBFL in 2000 utilizing FB Pro 99 with a veritable ton of mods and issues to try to fix the problems of that sim.  Actually used it for the first 2 seasons with 2 16 team leagues to approximate the pro setup since it didn't have a 32 team league.  After a season and a half where the darned thing just died we moved to Madden 02 and used that for a few seasons until I got fed up with how much I didn't know and how I couldn't figure it out and then did Auto Racing with NR2003 -

built by Papyrus which was a part of Sierra.  I used NR2003, Indycar 2, GP2/F1C2000, Rfactor, Colin McRae Rally, and a few of the Drag Racing efforts out there to simulate a motorsports world.  The crash of the Champ Car series pretty much drove me away from racing after following it and working in it for 15 years. 

So here I am after all of that utilizing Max FB, Madden, Bowl Bound, MadCat, a ton of php/sql stuff that I've collected over the last year and I have finally reached where I'm happy with what I'm able to do in the Simulation World.  I feel good about it and I like what I do and FPS Football was the foundation from that back to when I was in High School.  Been a long strange trip.

(in reply to Bobolini)
Post #: 12
RE: Football Pro & Maximum Football - 1/20/2009 4:49:08 AM   
micvik

quote:

ORIGINAL: mbsports

I always felt that FB Pro and Sierra in general provided the foundation for the simulation sports industry and a lot of it I just remember to this day.  For instance in FPS Baseball I remember Tommy Glavine's no hitter with my Tigers that I was playing, that game was the only time I've had a no no in a simulation baseball game and I think on one of my old PCs I have the box score still. 

Football is a strange journey that got me to this place.  I started the first version of MBFL in 2000 utilizing FB Pro 99 with a veritable ton of mods and issues to try to fix the problems of that sim.  Actually used it for the first 2 seasons with 2 16 team leagues to approximate the pro setup since it didn't have a 32 team league.  After a season and a half where the darned thing just died we moved to Madden 02 and used that for a few seasons until I got fed up with how much I didn't know and how I couldn't figure it out and then did Auto Racing with NR2003 -

built by Papyrus which was a part of Sierra.  I used NR2003, Indycar 2, GP2/F1C2000, Rfactor, Colin McRae Rally, and a few of the Drag Racing efforts out there to simulate a motorsports world.  The crash of the Champ Car series pretty much drove me away from racing after following it and working in it for 15 years. 

So here I am after all of that utilizing Max FB, Madden, Bowl Bound, MadCat, a ton of php/sql stuff that I've collected over the last year and I have finally reached where I'm happy with what I'm able to do in the Simulation World.  I feel good about it and I like what I do and FPS Football was the foundation from that back to when I was in High School.  Been a long strange trip.

Cool! A fellow Champcar fanatic. I loved Champcar, shame about what happened.

(in reply to mbsports)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Football Pro- Which Version Is The Best? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI