Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is this a legit way to buy Matrix games?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Is this a legit way to buy Matrix games? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is this a legit way to buy Matrix games? - 1/21/2009 12:25:37 AM   
Sarconix

I didn't see any mention of this earlier, so... My automatic eBay search turned up some auctions from this guy in Malaysia:

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/jack_lau65

Apparently he is selling download links and serial numbers for a bunch of Matrix games. Does anybody know if this is legitimate? So far his (recent) customers seem to be happy with it, but it seems quite fishy to me.
Post #: 1
Problem - 1/21/2009 12:29:37 AM   
hermanhum

When it was first started, it looked fishy.  However, I think that Matrix has signed off on it after discussion:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical/browse_thread/thread/ce5cd986be2a8d6d#

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical/browse_thread/thread/e5c62b7a84fe4615#

(in reply to Sarconix)
Post #: 2
RE: Is this a legit way to buy Matrix games? - 1/21/2009 12:33:56 AM   
Hertston

Looks very fishy to me.

quote:

Notes - This is a digital version . upon payment , I will email the link to download the game plus the serial number

Hmmm... anyone else think it will always be the same serial number? I think Matrix need to get on to eBay to pull the plug on this guy a.s.a.p.

Phrases like "Grab Now at Low Price $15.00" on a 'buy-it-now' suggest multiple sales, not reselling individual licenses like the 'wargamerjack' site was trying to do.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 1/21/2009 12:42:25 AM >

(in reply to Sarconix)
Post #: 3
RE: Is this a legit way to buy Matrix games? - 1/21/2009 12:58:39 AM   
hadberz

Why would the seller buy 2 copies of the same game from Matrix, digital download no less and then sell them on Ebay. Yeah stay away from this.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 4
RE: Is this a legit way to buy Matrix games? - 1/21/2009 1:11:04 AM   
Sarconix

quote:

ORIGINAL: hadberz

Why would the seller buy 2 copies of the same game from Matrix, digital download no less and then sell them on Ebay. Yeah stay away from this.

The only thing I can think of that might make this legit is that the seller is buying these with local (cheaper) prices, and then selling them for a slight profit in dollars. Usually publishers have region restrictions to avoid this sort of thing (e.g. as with DVD region coding).

(in reply to hadberz)
Post #: 5
RE: Is this a legit way to buy Matrix games? - 1/21/2009 2:13:54 AM   
nelmsm1

I believe this guy is a fraud. There was a Lau that put up a bunch of HPS games for sale on the Wargamer a few years ago and no one got any of there games.  He was from Singapore when he posted that for sale ad.

(in reply to Sarconix)
Post #: 6
Problem - 1/21/2009 2:42:18 AM   
hermanhum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

Phrases like "Grab Now at Low Price $15.00" on a 'buy-it-now' suggest multiple sales, not reselling individual licenses like the 'wargamerjack' site was trying to do.

He's got the same name as the WargamerJack site. Jack Lau. I suspect that it is the same person.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 7
RE: Problem - 1/21/2009 2:51:13 AM   
Erik Rutins

Hm, I did speak with the individual who posted on Usenet and my understanding was that he'd pulled the plug on this idea after our discussion. I guess I need to chat with him again. Personally, I would hold off on this for now.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 8
RE: Is this a legit way to buy Matrix games? - 1/21/2009 2:52:39 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarconix
The only thing I can think of that might make this legit is that the seller is buying these with local (cheaper) prices, and then selling them for a slight profit in dollars. Usually publishers have region restrictions to avoid this sort of thing (e.g. as with DVD region coding).

Just FYI, this may be true with large publishers. With us, there are no cheaper local prices in general, all sales go direct through us, with the exception of a few games that have been released to retail over the years.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Sarconix)
Post #: 9
RE: Is this a legit way to buy Matrix games? - 1/21/2009 12:43:22 PM   
Erik Rutins

Just FYI, I investigated and the answer is NO, unfortunately this is not legit.

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 1/21/2009 6:57:22 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Is this a legit way to buy Matrix games? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI