Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Recon Photos?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Recon Photos? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Recon Photos? - 10/14/2000 7:34:00 AM   
Rhone

I have seen some maps with fantastic detail (Wild Bill/Drake). I have always enjoyed making maps with SP, but none have ever had any historical significance. Are there any websites that have a collection of recon photos or well drawn maps to look through? I've seen some that were for sale, but have no luck in finding something I can actually look at. Or perhaps, some books that might have alot of recon shots? Very interested, thanks.

Post #: 1
- 10/15/2000 2:25:00 AM   
Don

Hi Rhone, Drake has posted many links to map sites, you'll have to go back through the posts and look for them. Most of the maps you'll find are very general and not a big help in making detailed SPWaW maps. The maps that have helped me the most have come from books, though most of them haven't been very detailed, either. I'd like to hear from WB and Drake on this, but I think it's a given that, no matter how "historical" a map is, at least some of it is going to be made up. The more resources you have (I have very few), the less that will have to be made up. And while WB's and Drake's maps are probably as accurate as can be, alot of detail does not mean a map is accurate. My map for the "Roadblock at Elst" scenario is very detailed, but 90% made up. All I knew was how the two major roads were situated. As far as recon photos go, do a web search for "aerial photography" and you'll get lots of hits, and hopefully there will be something to help you. I couldn't find anything for Holland, but maybe you can find the area you're looking for. Here's a few links to get you started: http://www.dean.usma.edu/history/dhistorymaps/Atlas%20Page.htm http://www.lib.utexas.edu/Libs/PCL/Map_collection/historical/history_ww2.html#European http://www.onwar.com/ Hope some of this helps you get started! Don

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

(in reply to Rhone)
Post #: 2
- 10/15/2000 3:34:00 AM   
Drake

What Don says is true, you do a serch of this furam useing map as the key word and you will find a number of postings that have links to some of the better map sites out their. As For making a map historic, its only so close you can get within the limits of the game. If you take the two most historic maps I have done so far, Omaha and Utah beach, I used over 20 maps and as many pictures of the areas in question to get each of them as close as I did. I was lucky with them two areas becouse the US army did so many maps of the area and so many pictures were takin. For most areas you will find it close to impossable to find good maps and as for Recon photos, I have not found to many of them and the ones I have did not prove to be of much use becouse they dont show many things very clearly. Your best bet is to look for maps of the area you want to do that are as close to SP:WAW game scale as possable and then look for writen accounts of what the area was like at the time. A good idea to is look for photos of the battle that took place their and get a idea of the tarrain of the area.

(in reply to Rhone)
Post #: 3
- 10/15/2000 4:10:00 AM   
silentsurfer

As I'm making maps for my campaign, I simply do as Drake suggested, I look at pictures of battles to get an Idea of the terrain at the time. I posted some links yesterday and one of them had excellent colour photos of actual battles, very good info and detail. (I link it here but I dont remember which link it was :O, guess you'll have to do the leg work if you want to). Another way to get info on areas is to search a search engine, may I suggest http://www.metacrawler.com/, for the city or area where the battle took place. With any luck you will hit on a battle page, without luck you may simpley get a general present day page. At the very least you will have an Idea of major rivers, bridges and what the terrain is like. If nothing else you'll be able to amaze your friends and family with your keen knowledge of geography Surfer

what the ....

(in reply to Rhone)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Recon Photos? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI