Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: A Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: A Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A Question - 2/4/2009 6:55:57 PM   
Bogo Mil

You can't put them back to the pool (except by loading the last savegame). You don't need to get rid of them - they don't need upkeep if you don't move them. But you can move them towards the front - it's very slow though, because they'll be out of fuel after a few hexes.

You will receive some PTs to the pool on some regular basis. If the pool is empty, you'll have to wait a bit. So, the number you receive during the war is finite, but you'll never run out forever.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. (Benjamin Franklin)
Post #: 1
RE: A Question - 2/4/2009 7:06:46 PM   
Knavey

Anyone know the totals you can receive during the war for Allies and Japan for PTs?

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

(in reply to Bogo Mil)
Post #: 2
RE: A Question - 2/4/2009 7:38:44 PM   
eastwindrain

If you decide to move them some distance to the war zone, put them in a supply, tanker, replenishment TF or whatever.
Can't remember whither they refuel automatically or you can do it manually along the route.

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 3
RE: A Question - 2/4/2009 7:45:00 PM   
Pistachio

You can do it manually; I usually just put them in a transport group with auxiliaries when I move those, and an AO goes with them. Anybody runs out of gas it's their own fault.

(in reply to eastwindrain)
Post #: 4
RE: A Question - 2/4/2009 8:46:57 PM   
RevRick

No, I think your number is finite. But, if you decide to shepherd them across the Pacific, make sure you put them IN the convoy with the floating gas tank, or the buggers will take off every time they get a full belly - only to run out of gas in about 8 hexes, which usually puts them about four hexes ahead of the fueling station. And, giving them orders to Follow this TF, Do Not Retire or Stay on Patrol, and reduce their reaction range to zero doesn't seem to help a lot either. Had a TF I accidentally (the same way you did) created in San Diege give me real fits going to Pago Pago. Finally left the idiots there out of sheer frustration.

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Post #: 5
RE: A Question - 2/4/2009 9:14:55 PM   
PeteG662

You can leave them in SF but they will have no use there or you can herd them across the ocean. You will get more in time and to create them all it takes is some supply. They have uses like in the Solomons or DEI where there are some ports nearby where they can refuel.
Post #: 6
RE: A Question - 2/4/2009 10:42:35 PM   
Oldguard1970

Does anyone know the timing of the availability of more PT boats once the pool is at zero?  Is there some sort of relenishment rate and die roll combination, or is replenishment of the option based on the calendar?

"Rangers Lead the Way!"

(in reply to PeteG662)
Post #: 7
RE: A Question - 2/5/2009 1:31:59 AM   
PeteG662

I have not seen any rhyme or reason with the PT availability. Sometimes when there are PTs there, more arrive and sometimes when there are none, none show up for a while. I would suspect they are based upon calendar availability.

(in reply to Oldguard1970)
Post #: 8
RE: A Question - 2/5/2009 1:36:00 AM   
rogueusmc

And I think the number is four hundred some odd over the course of the war...

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to PeteG662)
Post #: 9
RE: A Question - 2/5/2009 2:35:08 AM   
stuman

I did the same thing, and 3 months later in game time I still have not mustered up the enthusiasim to take the 2 I have stuck in  Frisco all the way across the Pacific. Also I made 4 at Suva in early Jan. '42 and by late March '42 have not been able to make any more. I have searched through old threads and so far cannot find anything laying out either a difinitive number available to the Allied player, or an explanation as to when they show up .Just adds to the uncertainty of the game I guess.

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 10
RE: A Question - 2/5/2009 6:38:36 PM   
Barb

Why didnt use those in the Aleutians? It is not that way long, and you have some bases along to get them fuelled.
They will probably not see any combat, but with a bit of luck you can use them for airfield defence in case some silly jap try to close it for a day...

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 11
RE: A Question - 2/5/2009 6:49:57 PM   
stuman

Good point, just had not thought of that.

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 12
RE: A Question - 2/6/2009 1:40:40 PM   
John Lansford

quote:

ORIGINAL: Osterhaut

Thank you all. So if I mess up in San Fracisco I have to herd them across the ocean? like cats? Can I just leave them? The manual says I get a limited number, but some of you say I will never run out. So if I mess up there is no way out except to move them somewhere else? except ignore them? yes?

If you created them in SF I'd leave them there. They aren't all that effective and you'll get plenty more later on, and if you put a larger ship in the TF with them it will take a LONG time to get anywhere useful. IIRC the PT boats will refuel either every turn or every other turn, which will cripple how fast the TF goes anywhere.
Post #: 13
RE: A Question - 2/6/2009 9:15:08 PM   
RevRick

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Lansford

quote:

ORIGINAL: Osterhaut

Thank you all. So if I mess up in San Fracisco I have to herd them across the ocean? like cats? Can I just leave them? The manual says I get a limited number, but some of you say I will never run out. So if I mess up there is no way out except to move them somewhere else? except ignore them? yes?

If you created them in SF I'd leave them there. They aren't all that effective and you'll get plenty more later on, and if you put a larger ship in the TF with them it will take a LONG time to get anywhere useful. IIRC the PT boats will refuel either every turn or every other turn, which will cripple how fast the TF goes anywhere.

So, ya' send 'em out with one of your 10 kt tankers which has had the dreaded and much accursed, defamed, and illogical 1 sys damage point causes a 1 kt drop in speed infection... It's going to take that thing forever to get anywhere anyway, so send it along as a PT shepherd. Eventually someone will need whatever fuel is left somewhere close to the combat zone, and if that one gets sunk, it's better than loosing one of the Fleet Oilers.

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: A Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI