Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Vietnam Combat Operations - Volumes 1-10 updated

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Vietnam Combat Operations - Volumes 1-10 updated Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Vietnam Combat Operations - Volumes 1-10 updated - 1/30/2009 8:36:22 AM   
Boonierat

Hey guys, been a while I haven't posted here

I've just finished updating the first ten volumes of my Vietnam series, the major change is that now victory points for missions are awarded when the mission is initiated, not terminated, plus some minor bug corrections. I've also created a website to host my scenarios using the new Google Sites tool, click on the banner below to access it.

I'm currently working on Volume 11 that will cover the Post-Tet 69 Communist offensive and the battle of Hamburger Hill (about 70% done).

Post #: 1
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations - Volumes 1-10 updated - 1/30/2009 9:17:40 PM   
Silvanski

Splendid work Boonierat .. and thanks for mentioning google sites.. I may in the future set up one to host my mods

< Message edited by Silvanski -- 1/30/2009 9:21:47 PM >

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to Boonierat)
Post #: 2
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations - Volumes 1-10 updated - 2/3/2009 6:37:04 AM   
PnHobbit

Amazing! Thank you for making these. I'm still learning the game, but looking very much forward to going through these. It appears as if an entire free game within a game o-O.

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 3
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations - Volumes 1-10 updated - 2/3/2009 9:34:24 PM   
Sker

So in order to have the most updated version of each scenario I have to redownload even the first volumes that i already have isn't it?

(in reply to PnHobbit)
Post #: 4
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations - Volumes 1-10 updated - 2/4/2009 7:47:27 AM   
Boonierat

I'm afraid so 

(in reply to Sker)
Post #: 5
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations - Volumes 1-10 updated - 2/17/2009 10:29:35 PM   
PDiFolco

Just discovered these gems, have a blast playing Vol I - kudos to you Boonierat (fellow Frenchman too ! ).
But I can't do squat with my helos... I've no TOAW Helo experience, I'm rather a WW2 guy usually, so pardon me . But here the gunships units I got can only jump from one hex to another, but never attack nor bombard, they aren't considered Air neither, what's the trick ?

(in reply to Boonierat)
Post #: 6
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations - Volumes 1-10 updated - 2/18/2009 5:22:05 AM   
L`zard

quote:

ORIGINAL: PDiFolco

Just discovered these gems, have a blast playing Vol I - kudos to you Boonierat (fellow Frenchman too ! ).
But I can't do squat with my helos... I've no TOAW Helo experience, I'm rather a WW2 guy usually, so pardon me . But here the gunships units I got can only jump from one hex to another, but never attack nor bombard, they aren't considered Air neither, what's the trick ?

Pascal;

While Stephane' will do a better job of this, my observations............

Actually gunships are a lot like other aircraft units....they may be given 'Ground Support' (support) and Interdict missions. Thier effects cover thier 'range'...check your Unit reports carefully!

'S' mission 'gunship' units will act like regular artty units with greater range.......
'I' mission 'gunship' units will act similar to their regular aircraft counterparts on interdict.....

While they will move to any 'spotted' hex, your better off creating a 'Firebase' where they can stay protected by other ground units. Once there, leave them alone unless you need to shift focus to another area.

'Pure' recon helos (containing only observation type choppers) are best moved to a location yielding a 'locus of observation' ; They provide progressivly more 'intell' starting the 2nd turn they're there, and increasingly for every turn they 'patrol' the same area of thier range. Or so the tests seem to indicate, YMMV lol!

If you wish to see a good example, start Vol 9 and look over the 1st Cav (ambl)...Apache troop, 1st of the 9th is a 'mixed' unit. Btty E, 82nd Artty is a 'pure' observation unit.

Apache troop may be set to 'S' and 'I', while the pure White teams from Btty E act as '99%' recon capable ground units, so they're only useful if left alone for turns (multiple)..........

As accurate as Stephane's OOB is, I'm sure you can find 'pure Red Team' units (ARA).......Blue Max, anyone?

If I'm wrong on any of this, please feel free to 'fry my ass in my underwear'....it's certainly not Stephane's fault, eh?

"I have the brain of a genius, and the heart of a little child! I keep them in a jar under my bed."

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 7
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations - Volumes 1-10 updated - 2/18/2009 6:39:18 AM   
Boonierat

quote:

Salut Pascal ;)

Make sure you know the helicopter icons, there are three types: transport helicopter that can only provide airmobile transport to friendly units withing range, attack helicopter that can be used either as long range artillery or air units, and recon helicopter used only for recon with no attack capability. Your confusion might come from the fact that some transport helicopter companies have some gunships in them, but they are here for TOE purpose only.

PS: As far as I can remember, you won't have any attack helicopter units in Vol 1, only transport companies.

< Message edited by Boonierat -- 2/18/2009 6:41:07 AM >

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 8
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations - Volumes 1-10 updated - 2/18/2009 8:06:30 PM   
PDiFolco

Ok, my bad, I thought the helos could attack due to them having attack and arty values, but they're indeed transport helos (Choctaws and Sea Horses).
I use the opportunity to thank you again, the "hidden" NVA/VC units and the "missions" in the manuals make for a very informative, entertaining and original game, with a gorgeous map, a stunningly detailed OOB and "professional" level manual. Really an amazing work !

(in reply to Boonierat)
Post #: 9
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations - Volumes 1-10 updated - 2/18/2009 10:25:03 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

I use the opportunity to thank you again, the "hidden" NVA/VC units and the "missions" in the manuals make for a very informative, entertaining and original game, with a gorgeous map, a stunningly detailed OOB and "professional" level manual. Really an amazing work !

I agree. This BoonieRat dude is one of the very best designers. My hat is off to him.

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Vietnam Combat Operations - Volumes 1-10 updated Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI