Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1.040 Public Beta feedback

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> 1.040 Public Beta feedback Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1.040 Public Beta feedback - 3/15/2009 9:43:31 AM   
gingerbread

or maybe this is mostly wishlist for 1.5...

Bur some feedback:

When I took France (Glory '39), no less that 6 french naval units ended up in England as Free French - could be a statistical fluke, but I think is does warrant further testing

The die mod to bombardment rolls is being applied in situation that perhaps was not intended, e.g say (this is Barbarossa) the Tac in E Poland is fired on by flak but survives and retreats to Kiev where it is subsequently fired on by flak again. It is then "fired upon" and will be penalized - the flak recieves +3.

Something should be done to targeting! Panzers target Art or Flak (if no enemy Arm is present) when the chances of taking the area would be better if they targeted Inf. I suggest that unless the probability of winning is .95+ with standard targeting , panzers should shift to a new type of "area control targeting", i.e. Inf, and this could be indicated in the battle mouse over, just like combined arms is.

I suggest that pop should be recovered from disbanded units if disbanded in an area of the same nationality.

Areas adjacent to a sea zone should not modify transport capacity unless it belongs to an active nation, i.e. at war in the political window. As it is now, german transports in the Southern Baltic Sea are affected by the still neutral Baltic States.

Great effort in keeping this game alive, thanks!

g
Post #: 1
RE: 1.040 Public Beta feedback - 3/16/2009 5:37:45 AM   
WanderingHead

Thanks for the feedback!

quote:

ORIGINAL: gingerbread
When I took France (Glory '39), no less that 6 french naval units ended up in England as Free French - could be a statistical fluke, but I think is does warrant further testing

Everyone keep an eye out for it. There is the possibility that the changes I made for French naval units interact in some subtle way with some other action. If the surrender causes them to move to sea before the destruction/escape is computed then that would be an example ... though I'm pretty sure that that does not happen.

quote:

The die mod to bombardment rolls is being applied in situation that perhaps was not intended, e.g say (this is Barbarossa) the Tac in E Poland is fired on by flak but survives and retreats to Kiev where it is subsequently fired on by flak again. It is then "fired upon" and will be penalized - the flak recieves +3.

Strikes me as fine. Not really intended per se, but a reasonable course of events. One could argue in tha chaos of retreat after retreat the planes have a harder time beating a retreat the second time without getting shot down in the process.

quote:

Something should be done to targeting! Panzers target Art or Flak (if no enemy Arm is present) when the chances of taking the area would be better if they targeted Inf. I suggest that unless the probability of winning is .95+ with standard targeting , panzers should shift to a new type of "area control targeting", i.e. Inf, and this could be indicated in the battle mouse over, just like combined arms is.

I'd say that's just part of the uncertainty of war.

quote:

I suggest that pop should be recovered from disbanded units if disbanded in an area of the same nationality.

Yes, this has been brought up before and I tend to agree. But maybe only 1/2 of the pop, just to discourage gameyness.

quote:

Areas adjacent to a sea zone should not modify transport capacity unless it belongs to an active nation, i.e. at war in the political window. As it is now, german transports in the Southern Baltic Sea are affected by the still neutral Baltic States.

I'd have to play around with it to see what you mean. Do you mean that a Neutral region is treated as a hostile region? If so, I'd agree it should change although I wouldn't be in a rush to do it.

(in reply to gingerbread)
Post #: 2
RE: 1.040 Public Beta feedback - 3/16/2009 8:43:53 PM   
gingerbread

quote:

ORIGINAL: WanderingHead

quote:

Strikes me as fine. Not really intended per se, but a reasonable course of events. One could argue in tha chaos of retreat after retreat the planes have a harder time beating a retreat the second time without getting shot down in the process.

My point is that the mods are stacked. A +/-1 to the DF, for what ever the reason, will in addition to that also yield a +/- 3 to the die roll.
If I recall, you introduced it to penalize unsuplied units (good idea!) but you caught more than those with the implementation you made, for instance 1st winter germans.

quote:

quote:

I'd say that's just part of the uncertainty of war.

Well, I assume that you have read the code that handles targeting. Having played quite a lot, I have a hunch that Arm will favor Art or AA as targets if there are no enemy Arm and all enemy Inf is targeted by friendlies.

In any case, I will make a more elaborate proposal:

If the attacker has both Arm and Inf/Mil/Para (IMP) in a battle, the type of unit that was the first to enter the enemy area influences targeting - in the first is an IMP, battle is for control (think D-Day - use Paras to modify the coastal artillery); if Arm is moved first, the battle is destructive i.e. arm will favour Art/AA as per my "hunch".

quote:

quote:

Yes, this has been brought up before and I tend to agree. But maybe only 1/2 of the pop, just to discourage gameyness.

The free Soviet Mil could be made as a separate nationality (Workers Nation or something) so that they get used in the front and not tucked away somewhere safe. If so, the full 2 pop should be fine.

quote:

quote:

I'd have to play around with it to see what you mean. Do you mean that a Neutral region is treated as a hostile region? If so, I'd agree it should change although I wouldn't be in a rush to do it.

Here I made myself unclear: The area of the Baltic states while a neutral state does not but when annexed by the Sovjets it does even when there is yet no war.
To see what I mean, start a '39 game, move a Trans into Baltic Sea - it then has 25 pts, take Poland (up to 35 pts), run the turn and due to that the Baltic States are then Soviet, it's down to 25 again in Fall '39.

< Message edited by gingerbread -- 3/16/2009 8:48:23 PM >

(in reply to WanderingHead)
Post #: 3
RE: 1.040 Public Beta feedback - 4/20/2009 10:40:54 PM   
Marshall Art

Not sure if this has been noted somewhere else - I have noticed that the German vet sub was able to get 3 shots of early in the game, with an Attack value of 2... I have 3 games ongoing and all 3 showed the same pattern, almost like a standard feature... Not a huge issue but I wonder if it can happen again later...

(in reply to gingerbread)
Post #: 4
RE: 1.040 Public Beta feedback - 4/22/2009 2:56:35 AM   
SGT Rice

Actually figured this one out ... if you read the torpedo rules carefully you'll note that subs 'auto-reload' whenever they move and have no more than half their torpedo capacity (and in range of friendly port). That means that the U-boat (with its initial capacity of 2 torpedoes) will always reload if it fires on the first turn and subsequently moves.

(in reply to Marshall Art)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> 1.040 Public Beta feedback Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI