Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Playing old scenarios

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Playing old scenarios Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Playing old scenarios - 3/31/2009 9:32:16 AM   
rocketman71

I had a look at the Rugged Defence and got interested in some scenarios designed for old TOAW platforms. Will they run on the TOAW III platform? What problems may I encounter?
Post #: 1
RE: Playing old scenarios - 3/31/2009 7:20:16 PM   
golden delicious

COW scenarios should open in TOAW III. Open them in the editor first, then save them before using. I don't know if it's been fixed- but there were some issues with transferring events from COW to III. There's an error log file which will identify any potential problems.

Anything else will definitely have to be in the most recent version of whatever iteration of TOAW it was saved as, which may mean finding someone who has a copy of the version in question. It may also need to be opened and saved in COW first, but I'm not sure. TOAW III seems to be more backwards compatible than prior versions.

Anything from prior to COW will not develop event bugs etc. but may have design issues due to changes in the game mechanics. For example you will find that units from Volume I scenarios are grossly overprovided with motor transport as less trucks are needed to lift the same amount of equipment in COW than previously.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 3/31/2009 7:22:34 PM >

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to rocketman71)
Post #: 2
RE: Playing old scenarios - 4/2/2009 11:11:10 AM   
rocketman71

Thanks for the reply. Why do I need to open/save in the editor? What does that do to the scenario-file?

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 3
RE: Playing old scenarios - 4/2/2009 2:27:49 PM   
macgregor

GD -Do you have any explanation for the 'Countdown to Infamy ' glitch where, upon launching the Pearl Harbor attack wave, the planes appear to attack their own carriers? Perhaps it's some sort of return attack wave. Either way, it totally fails to recreate the battle. Shouldn't this be fixable by editing the scenario so that the Americans remain in reorg until they're attacked?

< Message edited by macgregor -- 4/2/2009 2:28:17 PM >

(in reply to rocketman71)
Post #: 4
RE: Playing old scenarios - 4/2/2009 9:16:07 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: macgregor

GD -Do you have any explanation for the 'Countdown to Infamy ' glitch where, upon launching the Pearl Harbor attack wave, the planes appear to attack their own carriers?

I have seen this happen. Is this a PO move you're talking about?

Anyway, not related to version issues I should think.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 5
RE: Playing old scenarios - 4/2/2009 10:11:48 PM   
macgregor

When it happened to me I was playing pbem. I was the Japanese. That put an end to that game.

Post #: 6
RE: Playing old scenarios - 4/3/2009 8:37:14 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

When it happened to me I was playing pbem. I was the Japanese. That put an end to that game.

What exactly happened? I take it you were launching an air strike from carriers. Was the hex with the carriers in it adjacent to the target?

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 7
RE: Playing old scenarios - 4/3/2009 10:03:03 PM   
macgregor

The units were definitely not adjacent. Neither were they at max range. I'd say around 5 hexes away -six carriers launched planes(the historic ones). I remember the Allied player used Oahu and Hawaii for a few flanks, arranging his ships so that the center hex could not be attacked or observed, though was in a position to support all the other units. This already should not have been allowed IMO. I watched the attacks in horror as they appeared to attack their own task forces. Most bizarre. Perhaps you could recreate it.

Post #: 8
RE: Playing old scenarios - 4/3/2009 10:27:24 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

The units were definitely not adjacent. Neither were they at max range. I'd say around 5 hexes away -six carriers launched planes(the historic ones). I remember the Allied player used Oahu and Hawaii for a few flanks, arranging his ships so that the center hex could not be attacked or observed, though was in a position to support all the other units. This already should not have been allowed IMO. I watched the attacks in horror as they appeared to attack their own task forces. Most bizarre. Perhaps you could recreate it.

Sort of underscores the problems with TOAW's naval system. How can a ship or small flotilla "occupy" a 50km hex?

Anyway, I've never heard of bombers counterattacking on the other player's turn, so it must be a bug causing your naval units to appear in the firing line during your attack. I thought I'd seen something like this before, but it occurred during a PO move and they attacked their own hexes somehow.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Playing old scenarios Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI