Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Beginners guide

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> The War Room >> Beginners guide Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Beginners guide - 3/4/2009 8:32:28 AM   
berndn

So far I like the graphics part of the game but I'm completly lost by the gameplay.
What would help me as well as others would be a simple 10-15 minutes video tutorial showing the first 10-15 minutes of a 'scenario' which should show some basics, starting at game setup for a beginner, starting the scenario, explaining the first steps and show some usefull information as part of a beginners tutorial.

Don't get me wrong. The included tutorials are fine but they are concentrating of single aspects instead of showing just a complete opening. I think that an example going 10 - 15 turns would help me a lot.

Sorry if this sound to demanding. It's just that I'm feeling lost. I had a quick read of the manual which is fine explaining every detail but again I could not see a simple tutorial which guides you into the game itself.
Post #: 1
RE: Beginners guide - 3/4/2009 12:29:35 PM   
henri51

There was such a tutorial in the previous version of the game. If you can have it you can use it, because the starting situation is that of the 1805 scenario. There are some slight differences in the interface, but the things to do are the same, whcih is what a beginner needs to know.

There was also a strategy guide for major countries in the manual, and that too has been omitted, although the strategy should be the same for both games.

Anyway, for lack of anything better, as the French in 1805, buid some depots to feed your armies and attack Austria to the South. You will win and Austria will surrender.After that...

Henri

(in reply to berndn)
Post #: 2
RE: Beginners guide - 3/4/2009 12:45:27 PM   
berndn

Thanks Henri for the hints but I'm an absolute beginner and haven't bought any other version so I have no access to the things you mentioned :(

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 3
RE: Beginners guide - 3/4/2009 3:15:27 PM   
Kingmaker

HiHi

This may help from the orriginal CoG 'War room' Ralieghs tips http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=202 , think a lot will be applicable, ... least I hope so as like you I will be a compleat CoG beginer, so when I get my download I'll be useing the tips as a guide.

All the Best
Peter

(in reply to berndn)
Post #: 4
RE: Beginners guide - 3/5/2009 3:28:00 PM   
ericbabe

We do want to make the game as accessible to new players as we possibly can, so I'd like to hear more details about things that are confusing, and maybe we can put together some additional material.

Perhaps we could put together a "Tutorial AAR" that plays through a couple opening turns, explaining the reasons for the choices the player makes.  If we do one for each nation, it could also double as the strategy guide.  If done in HTML, we can then include this tutorial in future versions of the in-game help.  I'll talk to Gil about it later today, as this is just the sort of thing that I usually make him deal with .  If any old-hands at COG would like to volunteer to help do some simple AARs that emphasize explaining strategic decision making, and show all the details of an opening turn or two, we'd love to have the help.

(in reply to Kingmaker)
Post #: 5
RE: Beginners guide - 3/5/2009 4:06:39 PM   
berndn

Thanks for the help guys.
I don't feel like it should be done for each nation. Just pick up one nation, explain the key differences to other nations, and then start to explain why you do what in your first few turns.
While I like to read, I feel that a tutorial like the ones included, would help me a lot. I did read the tips from Ralieghs but to be honest the tips make sense if you understand what you do. At least that was my feeling after I read them.
I'm speaking about an absolute beginner in CoGEE :)

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 6
RE: Beginners guide - 3/5/2009 4:49:57 PM   
ubik

I think the trick to do it effectively and without too much work for you Eric, is to first pick an easy country to start with. This means fewer provinces, not at war and hopefully that can avoid war in the first 3 or 4 turns.

After this the very basic guidelines should be explained about the present situation of the country for the new player to get him into the context.

Then, what is important and the manual (any manual!) is lacking, is to provide the sequence of actions the player needs to perfrom to access his present situation and act upon the info available. This flattens more than just a bit the learning curve because after absorbing the sequence of actions needed to effectively play, the newcomer will be confident to try them and experiment variations on his own, thus starting from a basic skeleton of decisions into more detailed ones (and most not covered in the guide).

So, the 4 or 5 turns need to be explained thoroguhly with emphasis in the first one as it will probably take longer than most, because so many different parts of the interface must be covered to understand what is going on. The subsequent turns should be regarded as repetitions of parts of the first one and used mainly as tests of the knowledge given in the first turn.
Along the first 4 or 5 turns the info provided should be ever and ever more vague because first, the player will feel more at ease with each new turn and second it is harder and harder to know what happens in the game to provide sound coaching in the guide.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 7
RE: Beginners guide - 3/5/2009 6:30:12 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

We do want to make the game as accessible to new players as we possibly can, so I'd like to hear more details about things that are confusing, and maybe we can put together some additional material.

Perhaps we could put together a "Tutorial AAR" that plays through a couple opening turns, explaining the reasons for the choices the player makes.  If we do one for each nation, it could also double as the strategy guide.  If done in HTML, we can then include this tutorial in future versions of the in-game help.  I'll talk to Gil about it later today, as this is just the sort of thing that I usually make him deal with .  If any old-hands at COG would like to volunteer to help do some simple AARs that emphasize explaining strategic decision making, and show all the details of an opening turn or two, we'd love to have the help.

Oh, I forgot to tell you: the bus for my meditation retreat leaves this afternoon, and from there I'm catching a flight to some Peace Corps outpost in a part of the world without high-speed internet...

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 8
RE: Beginners guide - 3/6/2009 9:21:47 PM   
PDiFolco

Well, there are already some pretty complete AARs by playtesters (namely Hard Sarge and Joram come to my mind), and extracting 2 turns, attached screenies and rephrasing the text should make it. (with their agreement, if ever it's not already included in their beta terms )

The hardest part will be to correct Hard Sarge non-standard spelling, and not ending up confusing Austria with Ossetia ! 

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 9
RE: Beginners guide - 3/6/2009 10:19:23 PM   
henri51

I think it is a good idea to have a detailed explanation of the first few moves for a nation (say France), so the newbie can get off staring at the screen and do something.

BTW, I initially missed the F! key that gives information about each scenario, among other things. I am sure some others missed it too.

Henri

BTW Empire Total War has the same problem - no printed manual, a thin manual, and even seasoned MTW players can be puzzled about what to do - I went to look to buy a strategy guide, but apparently there is none at this time.

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 10
RE: Beginners guide - 3/7/2009 1:53:47 AM   
balto

How about someone (with a powerful brain) do an AAR as Prussia in 1803 using Quick Combat.  That way, it will help PBEMers (Quick Combat is the foundation of Instant Combat in PBEM) and people that do not want Detailed Combat.  There are tons of AARS on Detailed Combat. 

This would allow the AAR person to focus on all the other parts of the game (Economy and Production and strategic Navy stuff).  Because right now, if you have a Detailed Combat question.., just post it -- Hard Sarge always has the answer and he truly is a Detailed Combat genius in this and FoF.

So how about focusing on the Quick Combat/Instant Combat people.

Thank you 

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 11
RE: Beginners guide - 3/7/2009 9:04:06 AM   
berndn

I think for beginners like me it's enough if someone makes a small tutorial video (prefered) and just explain a bit the early parts. I don't care to much about what battle/combat mode would be used because I and maybe others can ask for this seperatly or study the included tutorials for specific questions.

I know it's not that simple because I have done such a thing for GPL and as a none native english speaker it was very hard for me.

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 12
RE: Beginners guide - 3/7/2009 2:27:03 PM   
henri51

I agree that what is needed is not detailed combat (which is well covered in AARs etc), but instructions (examples) on what to do on the main map. After all, although one can fight badly, one is not brainlocked by looking at the combat map, as one can be by looking at the main map and wondering what to do about economy, where to send troops, and all the rest.

Henri

(in reply to berndn)
Post #: 13
RE: Beginners guide - 3/7/2009 3:12:53 PM   
balto

Whatever Henri51 just said above.., that is what I meant to say, except I do not write as well as him.  Thanks Henri51.

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 14
RE: Beginners guide - 3/11/2009 10:30:30 PM   
wolf4

I haven't yet played "Crown of Glory Emperor's Edition". At the moment have just started reading up rules for the first "Crown of Glory" and have played two games so far. I am trying to get the feel of the game. For the moment I do not know how to use properly all of the sliders and what impact they have on each province.

My question here is has anyone tried playing as the Prussians? I didn't want to play as the French because they are already powerful and it may be too predictable and boring that they are going to win. I wanted to see if it was possible to play with the less powerful countries and see if one can still give a decent challenge to the French.

I felt if I play as the French then it may not be much of a challenge since they are very strong. Does the game provide enough interesting playability that one can be another country than the all-powerful French? This is what I am after really.

I am trying out this game before deciding to get the latest "Crown of Glory Emperor's Edition" to see if it is enjoyable and is not too predictable. Any thoughts on the matter?

wolf4

(in reply to berndn)
Post #: 15
RE: Beginners guide - 3/22/2009 12:39:38 AM   
berndn

A small bump ?

(in reply to wolf4)
Post #: 16
RE: Beginners guide - 3/23/2009 3:53:02 PM   
Mike Parker

Ohhh you were just bringin this to the top with a 'bump'

I thought you were commenting that the Prussians would be little more than a small bump to the French Corps seeking to winter in Russia!

:)

(in reply to berndn)
Post #: 17
RE: Beginners guide - 3/23/2009 4:05:35 PM   
berndn

Hehe

(in reply to Mike Parker)
Post #: 18
RE: Beginners guide - 4/5/2009 2:26:58 PM   
SlickWilhelm

Glad I'm not the only one having difficulty getting into the flow of the gameplay. I keep reading the manual, getting more and more confident, then I go to the game and have brain freeze!

My current dilemma is whether or not it's better to build a depot in my home province in England or let all the troops forage.

Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42

(in reply to berndn)
Post #: 19
RE: Beginners guide - 4/5/2009 2:39:11 PM   
Ron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slick Wilhelm

Glad I'm not the only one having difficulty getting into the flow of the gameplay. I keep reading the manual, getting more and more confident, then I go to the game and have brain freeze!

My current dilemma is whether or not it's better to build a depot in my home province in England or let all the troops forage.

Well it depends what you want to do. If you are trying to save money and aren't going to be using this Army then by all means let them forage. However if you are going to be using them offensively then have them tied to a depot to get replacements, they won't if they are foraging.

(in reply to SlickWilhelm)
Post #: 20
RE: Beginners guide - 4/5/2009 3:07:08 PM   
SlickWilhelm

Thanks Ron! I didn't understand that units don't gain replacements unless they're connected to a depot...although it makes perfect logical sense! 

Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42

(in reply to Ron)
Post #: 21
RE: Beginners guide - 4/19/2009 9:00:01 PM   
berndn

Still waiting for a simple video tutorial 

Post #: 22
RE: Beginners guide - 4/28/2009 7:37:35 PM   
Bonaparte78

quote:

Thanks Ron! I didn't understand that units don't gain replacements unless they're connected to a depot...although it makes perfect logical sense! 

Hello to everyone from Alessandro (Rome)! So I can refill my depleted divisions only if they are attached to a depot: is that right (for original Crown of glory too)?
Thank you in advance!

< Message edited by Bonaparte78 -- 4/28/2009 7:38:37 PM >

Post #: 23
RE: Beginners guide - 4/28/2009 8:51:08 PM   
berndn

Oh the tutorial is finished ?

Oh no ... no tutorial .... Good that the next CC release will be up tomorrow :)

(in reply to Bonaparte78)
Post #: 24
RE: Beginners guide - 4/28/2009 9:03:27 PM   
lenin

quote:

You are better off letting them forage unless you are at war and need replacements, or they are already depleted and need re-inforcements.

"Imperialism is the eve of the proletarian social revolution"

Post #: 25
RE: Beginners guide - 4/29/2009 12:42:02 PM   
Bonaparte78

A couple of questions:
1What is the best usage of POW if there is one (I have many of them, mainly from Russia and GBR)? How can I free mine?
2)Is it possible to capture enemy generals (in my game I have Picton all alone in Normandy) and in that case what I have to do?
Thank you!!!

< Message edited by Bonaparte78 -- 4/29/2009 12:43:26 PM >

(in reply to lenin)
Post #: 26
RE: Beginners guide - 4/29/2009 11:31:51 PM   
Russian Guard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bonaparte78

A couple of questions:
1What is the best usage of POW if there is one (I have many of them, mainly from Russia and GBR)? How can I free mine?
2)Is it possible to capture enemy generals (in my game I have Picton all alone in Normandy) and in that case what I have to do?
Thank you!!!

POW's serve no purpose in terms of "doing anything with them". They are however kept track of for repatriation purposes. Those units will be returned to their owner after the war is over, minus some morale and possibly even status (for example, an Infantry unit with low morale might become Militia, etc).

Yes you can capture enemy Generals, but they will not work for you and are repatriated when the war is over. You can drag them around and even assign them to your Containers, but their abilities are not counted.

Hmmm, wonder if you could get them killed tho...put them in a suicide Brigade and charge some Artillery LOL

Post #: 27
RE: Beginners guide - 4/30/2009 7:02:36 AM   
Bonaparte78

Thank you so much Russian Guard !
I have other beginner-questions...
What is the correct usage of merchant ships? Do they need to be supplied? I can see so many depots being put on sea areas: are these depots supposed to influence trades? How the sea ports influence trades incomes?
Thank you and sorry for asking so many questions !

< Message edited by Bonaparte78 -- 4/30/2009 7:26:27 AM >

(in reply to Russian Guard)
Post #: 28
RE: Beginners guide - 8/1/2009 12:35:14 PM   
pvthudson01

I think I would be in the same boat here. Does the simple economy mode do ANYTHING to alleviate some of this?

And wasnt the manual rewritten lately?

Matrix Member since 2003!

Post #: 29
RE: Beginners guide - 7/21/2010 5:42:36 PM   
shanju2107

picture can be added to this tutorial....this will be more beneficial...as a beginner i hope next time we see that....its really encouraging to see ur approach....

(in reply to pvthudson01)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> The War Room >> Beginners guide Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI