Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Suggestions for next patch (1.1)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Suggestions for next patch (1.1) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Suggestions for next patch (1.1) - 5/18/2002 6:15:54 PM   
vils

I miss a few smaller things that should be easy to implement int he game:

1. Use of mouse-wheel in menus. This funcion was disabled in BTR aswell, but i bet the majority uses these wheels alot nowadays. Please implement this!

2. Reports when ships/troops arrives to the sceene. A little popup at the beginning of the turn with this info would be great!

Thanks for a great game otherwise, i have not stumbled across any bugs at all yet, and that is IMPRESSIVE!

Thanx, vils.

Take Command! - Lewis E. Lyle
Post #: 1
Re: Suggestions for next patch (1.1) - 5/18/2002 6:58:26 PM   
U2

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vils
[B]

2. Reports when ships/troops arrives to the sceene. A little popup at the beginning of the turn with this info would be great!

Thanx, vils. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi!

I agree with Vils on this. Why should I have to remember the arrival list by heart? It takes too much time to go to the list to check or to the two arrival bases. Wargames produced a long time ago had an arrival message. Fix it!

Otherwise its the best wargame ever! Superb!

Dan

(in reply to vils)
Post #: 2
- 5/18/2002 8:44:01 PM   
Diealtekoenig

I would like a button in all the unit menus (base/ship/TF/Air Unit) to center the map over the unit. If there is such a button already I can't find it. When I look in the "All Ships" menu and find a ship I want to be able to go right to it on the map.

And I would, along the same lines, like the windows that show details of units/give orders to be movable on the screen rather than in the dead center of it, so I can look at the map while giving orders.

(in reply to vils)
Post #: 3
- 5/18/2002 9:53:29 PM   
The Gnome

A BIG yes to mouse wheel functionality, please! It makes moving through lists SO much easier.

(in reply to vils)
Post #: 4
- 5/19/2002 2:32:05 AM   
Hartmann

The "unit arrival message" and the "center around unit" button certainly have my vote. :)

Hartmann

(in reply to vils)
Post #: 5
- 5/19/2002 3:33:57 AM   
Fuchida

A big Me Too!! for the suggested unit arrival and unit centre additions

(in reply to vils)
Post #: 6
On board - 5/19/2002 4:01:23 AM   
Rob Roberson

I would like to see a listing of current air missions next to my air units when viewing my carriers. It's a true pain to have to go through each air unit to find out what mission I assigned them every turn. Lord knows I forget a lot at 3 am and this would smooth the process.

(in reply to vils)
Post #: 7
- 5/19/2002 4:02:31 AM   
strollen

Reinforcement arrival would be very helpful.

Also I'd like a hot key for creating a new task force, say Cntrl T.
It would bring up a list of bases that have ships and than go to the normal task force menu.

(in reply to vils)
Post #: 8
And Me - 5/19/2002 6:23:50 AM   
sparrs

Yes to the mouse wheel scroll!

Also would love a reinforcements message, its a pain having to find what new units I have, or keep checking the reinforcement schedules.

Kevin

(in reply to vils)
Post #: 9
Idle'ing units - 5/19/2002 6:48:16 AM   
vils

Another suggestion:

Add a button 'Go to next idle unit' so we can cycle through tf's that has no command given to them. I believe this will quicken up the turns a bit.

/vils

Take Command! - Lewis E. Lyle

(in reply to vils)
Post #: 10
- 5/19/2002 2:01:38 PM   
johnmac

I'll also put my vote in for;

1. Mousewheel support.
2. Arrival notifications.
3. Squadron upgrade notifications.
4. Idle task forces.

Ideally, and I'm sure that it's too late for UV, I'd like to see a system like Europa Universalis I and II - where there is an event system which the player can customise. Perhaps UV II??

A customised event system would be very useful on Gary's games - I had this frustration with BTR - on message level 3 the game insisted on telling me EVERY TIME a plane took a recon photograph...aargh!

I'd also like a ready reckoner for convoy ETAs. Yes, I know I can work out manually how long it will take for a cargo convoy to travel from Brisbane to Port Moresby, but as uber-commander of the South Pacific front, why would I want to? Perhaps a hint box that comes up when I mouse over a taskforce, a la base displays.

(in reply to vils)
Post #: 11
- 5/19/2002 7:11:48 PM   
johnmac

Oh yeah, and another thing.

Can we make the default sort priority on Ground, Naval and Air reinforcments be days to arrival in ascending order.

I tend to be only interested in what's arriving in the next week, and it's dull to have keep clicking twice every time I want to see what's upcoming...

(in reply to vils)
Post #: 12
- 5/19/2002 7:48:39 PM   
U2

Why isnt the potential size of a base visable? It only shows on a few bases at the very start of a game while the majority just shows victory value. It really sucks to go out and search for a good base.

Dan

(in reply to vils)
Post #: 13
Potential Base Size - 5/20/2002 2:03:36 AM   
Erik Rutins

On bases that are friendly-controlled (even if undeveloped) if you click on the "dot" you will get a screen that tells you the potential base size. VPs are a less direct way to determine the potential size of an undeveloped base. Recall also that many of these base areas were less than perfectly mapped and scouted by both sides (at least as far as the information available to the militaries goes).

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to vils)
Post #: 14
Re: Potential Base Size - 5/20/2002 2:23:43 AM   
U2

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Erik Rutins
[B]On bases that are friendly-controlled (even if undeveloped) if you click on the "dot" you will get a screen that tells you the potential base size. VPs are a less direct way to determine the potential size of an undeveloped base. Recall also that many of these base areas were less than perfectly mapped and scouted by both sides (at least as far as the information available to the militaries goes).

Regards,

- Erik [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks Erik

I learnt quick quickly to check the VPs to determine the potential size of a base. But when you klick on the "dot" of the many uncharted bases they still show (0). I was just used to PACWAR were I knew the potential size. This new detail that the military just did not know the size potential until arrival is the kind of dedication to detail that we have come to expect from a Grigsby game. I wasnt really complaining because the game is just so good that I had to write about something that bugged me. I cant write how good the game is everyday you know.

Dan

(in reply to vils)
Post #: 15
- 5/20/2002 2:45:03 AM   
Fuchida

Another suggestion for the patch.

I don't know how difficult this would be, but it would be very useful to be able to print some of the screens, for instance the list of air assets in theatre, so that I could work my way through them without having to keep bringing up the window and blocking the main map.

(in reply to vils)
Post #: 16
Base Size... - 5/20/2002 3:06:05 AM   
Erik Rutins

Dan,

I think you and I are on the same wavelength, but I want to make sure. If you click on one of those dots and it shows Airfield 0, Port 0 that means the best you'll be able to build them up to is Airfield 3, Port 3 (and that'll cost a LOT of supplies, since it gets more expensive once you exceed the normal potential, in this case 0). Any base can be built up to 3 sizes past the normal potential if you're willing to invest time, engineers and supplies.

It's the bases with Airfield 1 or Port 1 that are particularly valuable, since you can get them up to Size 4 which is large enough to base bombers and to have a very good shot of repairing even badly damaged ships that are anchored there.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to vils)
Post #: 17
Thank you! - 5/20/2002 3:37:42 AM   
U2

Hi Erik

Again (for the tenth time or something) I must thank you for taking the time to explain things to me. I had no idea that all those tiny God forsaken places could with a (0) be built up to 3 and that I should watch out for the ones with (1) or higher (which means level 4 minimum when expanded)

THANK YOU

Dan

(in reply to vils)
Post #: 18
Two more suggestions! - 5/20/2002 5:31:19 AM   
Rex Bellator

Can I recommend that someone alters the hit location routine for short range surface combats? A very large percentage of hits scored in the actions I've seen so far under 4000 yds seem to be deck hits, and I'd have thought that as the fire would not be plunging much at those ranges, you should be seeing belt hits.

Another possible worry is Japanes flak strengths. I had one strike of 27 Dauntlesses attacking the Shokaku & Zuikaku. 5 fell to the CAP, and 17 out of the 22 remaining were [I]destroyed[/I] by the flak with the remaining 5 damaged! Lethal, unhistorical, and worth a look?

These may just be blips as I've not played too many games yet, so it's really just first impressions. But the main first impression is what a superb game this is :D

(Edit) I have just realised that the above Dauntless example may not be an uber-flak problem but a feeble Dauntless problem. How's everyone else doing with them?

(in reply to vils)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Suggestions for next patch (1.1) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI