Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scenario Planning: Invasion of Alaska

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> Scenario Planning: Invasion of Alaska Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scenario Planning: Invasion of Alaska - 4/25/2009 9:54:33 AM   
Bandito

I love hypotheticals, regardless of how likely they are or even if they are realistic or not. I was hoping for assistance with planning a simple scenario involving the east side of the Alaskan border, using the towns of Fairbanks and Anchorage. I'm completely new at this, but I think I might actually be able to scrap something together.

The idea is modelling a band of citizen militia arriving from Anchorage to attack a Russian guarded Fairbanks. It would be incredibly interesting to see a full scale Alaskan campaign, but because I'm new I wanted to start small. A border skirmish was what I was initially interested in to get started with, but I couldn't find many settled areas along the border to have enough capture points.

This is the extremely rough allocation of forces that I drew from Wikipedia. I'd appreciate suggestions and corrections (all on regiment scale, despite what is posted for the Russian side):

American and Allies Side

MILITIA

1,000 militia
divided into 5 regiments of 200 (|||)
1st People's Milita
2nd People's Militia
etc.

Someone's old 19th century artillery piece, pulled by a
tractor. In Anchorage, along with one regiment of Militia, as an "Alaskan native" regiment.

FRENCH FOREIGN LEGION

500 French Foreign Legion troops (2nd Foreign Infantry
Regiment, motorized infantry) from Canada.
divided into 1 regiment

1 transport
1 tank division
1 Recon

Russian side

3000 troops (41st army)
867th Separate Motor-rifle Battalion (500)
873rd Separate motor-rifle battalion (500)
880th Separate motor-rifle battalion (500)
13th Separate Tank Battalion
227th Separate Self-propelled Howitzer artillery Battalion
230th Separate Self-propelled Howitzer artillery Battalion
237th Separate anti-tank artillery battalion
243rd Separate Antiaircraft rocket-artillery Battalion

1 tank regiment (140th Siberian)
1 Recon (12th Independent Reconnaissance & Radio EW
Battalion)

Some questions and additional ideas:

1) Is there a guide to making TOW scenarios out there somewhere? I couldn't find it.
2) I've used Google Maps to try to come up with an idea of the map and what to port to the TOW editor.
3) The above allocation seems fairly one-sided in favor of Russia, and sloppy in general. Does this appear balanced at all? What additions and modifications do you suggest? I understand that there's an air base in Fairbanks. I've not included any sort of U.S. Troops here, as this is simply experimental and something I'm working with, although I think a Russian air recon unit would fit. What other forces should be involved to make things more interesting and/or balanced?
4) I planned on making an event where the American/Allied side gets a regiment of militia in American/Allied held settlements every two turns so long as they remain under the American/Allied flag. This would be an attempt to simulate citizens "rallying to the cause." Doable?
5) The map area would be 600 km long and 800 km wide, but I haven't yet determined what hex scale to use.
6) Russia owns everything north of Denali State Park.
7) Would the French Foreign Legion even have a reason to be involved in this theoretical conflict?

This is unfortunately a late night post, so I might be updating it after some time.

< Message edited by Bandito -- 4/25/2009 9:55:56 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Scenario Planning: Invasion of Alaska - 4/25/2009 12:26:24 PM   
Silvanski

Attached is Todd Klemme's scenario design guide, an oldie but goodie

Attachment (1)

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to Bandito)
Post #: 2
RE: Scenario Planning: Invasion of Alaska - 5/5/2009 7:32:44 AM   
akdreemer

Good luck..:) considering there is a Stryker Brigade based in Fairbanks (Ft Wainright) and a Parachute Brigade in Anchorage (Ft Richardson). Here is a publication you might find interesting and helpful:
http://mags.aqppublishing.com/publication/2f75da28#/2f75da28/17

(in reply to Bandito)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> Scenario Planning: Invasion of Alaska Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI