Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Old Victory rules

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Old Victory rules Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Old Victory rules - 8/1/2014 9:14:23 PM   
Braig

So, I was thinking of ways to "spice" up solitaire games and I remembered the old rules on victory conditions. I apologize ahead of time if my memory and terminology are fuzzy. It was a long time ago!

It used to be that each side would secretly decide before game start on a "focus" target or area strategy, so to speak. Be it the Med, or Sea Lion, what have you. Completing the victory objectives would award bonus points for captured hexes in the particular group that was chosen.

Does anyone remember how that worked, and what all of the objective areas were? I want to try doing this by each side blindly choosing one before the game starts and then that being the game focus for myself for each side.

Just brainstorming ways to fool myself and bring different strategies into play.

Thanks in advance!
Post #: 1
RE: Old Victory rules - 8/1/2014 10:32:07 PM   
Extraneous

Is this WiF Extended Victory Point system what your talking about  

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

(in reply to Braig)
Post #: 2
RE: Old Victory rules - 8/1/2014 10:37:33 PM   
Braig

Nope, that wasn't it. It was pretty simple actually. If I recall, it may even have been from the initial release.

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 3
RE: Old Victory rules - 8/1/2014 11:51:38 PM   
brian brian

My first game was in 3rd Edition and the first copy of the game I owned was 4th Edition but I can't remember anything like that exactly. It does seem familiar somehow though.

It is difficult to pick a grand strategy when playing solitaire. One solution is to just simply decide one of the classic options for the Euro-Axis in advance, to explore a given strategy, and see how it combines with the grand strategy choices for the Japanese. Since the Allies are mostly in a reactive mode for the first few years, this works out OK.

The problem when playing solitaire is Japan and Russia, particularly if it becomes clear that it won't be a 1941 Barbarossa on Germany's part. For those decisions, I have thought to use a die roll table to decide how each power will decide the question of what to do about the other.

(in reply to Braig)
Post #: 4
RE: Old Victory rules - 8/2/2014 7:14:19 AM   
LiquidSky

The problem with playing solitaire is you have to split your wit and let the two halves fight it out.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 5
RE: Old Victory rules - 8/2/2014 1:21:36 PM   
monkla

I found in an old 5th Edition chart which contains the victory points that you are remembering.
You could pick regions: In the Pacific - China/India, SE Asia, South Pacific, Central Pacific and Japan/Russia while in Europe there was East, Central, West, The Med and North.

The effect of choosing one of those areas was that it rewarded a side more for picking up objectives in that area.
Eg. East had the following

Moscow 5
Kiev 4
Warsaw 3
Bucharest 2

However, if the region was chosen as the special objective then the points became

Moscow 10 (Axis) or 6 (Allies)
Kiev 8 and 6
Warsaw 5 and 5
Bucharest 4 and 4

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 6
RE: Old Victory rules - 8/3/2014 1:47:07 PM   
Braig

Thanks Monkla! That's it. It was an old 5th. edition chart? I'll have to search around and see if I can find one somewhere.

Thanks a ton!

After spending some time searching, I haven't been able to find this chart. I have found 5th edition charts, but none that have this information.
Wish I was a pack-rat. I'd still have it in a dust covered closet somewhere.

< Message edited by Braig -- 8/3/2014 3:52:37 PM >

(in reply to monkla)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Old Victory rules Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI