Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scenario packaging ideas

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Scenario packaging ideas Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scenario packaging ideas - 6/8/2009 1:44:41 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Hey guys:

While the scenario editor is great for creating scenarios, what I have not really looked at is what kind of packaging / utilities to use to help make it easy for you to send your scenarios out to others. Any ideas from you guys on this would be a great help...

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

Post #: 1
RE: Scenario packaging ideas - 6/9/2009 1:27:58 AM   
pzgndr

There has to be a way to uniquely name a custom scenario (other than eianw001?), find it easily in the \Data\databases directory or wherever they go, and allow players to exchange/post these custom scenarios and add them to their directory. Clearly you can not have two files named eianw001; but if one player has a file named one thing and another has a different name then how does the game ensure compatibility?? We should be able to name scenario files from the editor, not just pick a numbered slot.

To paraphrase from another game's rules:
Anytime you attempt to start or load a saved multiplayer game, there should be an internal check made to verify the original scenario file for the saved game is in the [\Data\databases] directory. This is intended to keep e-mail and network games secure and limit cheating. In other words, this ensures that both players have the original scenario file loaded on their system and are able to review the scenario’s details in the Editor. Therefore, custom scenarios should be exchanged with all other players prior to starting a new game. This feature could be optional but a warning message should appear prompting players to proceed or not; i.e., you may still play without the original campaign file.

Some or all of this may apply to EiANW. Point is, with the editor players could further customize their starting setups, such as giving your corps units higher morale or something. There needs to be some sort of internal check to prevent this.

Something else to consider are the custom scenario setup files, including AI setups. How does that work? The filenames in the \Setups directory need to be consistent with the custom scenario filenames. How this works with the current XXgrandcampaign.set files and the filenames in the editor is not clear. Unique and consistent filenames is the way to go, yes?

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 2
RE: Scenario packaging ideas - 6/9/2009 11:46:29 AM   
Marshall Ellis

Well, actually the naming convention is less important than you might think. The NAME001 convention only ensures a slot in the scenario list. The file signature is checked to make sure that the starting scenarios are identical. What I might need to do is to create an option to export/install a scenario thus creating a directory of dependent files.

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 3
RE: Scenario packaging ideas - 6/9/2009 9:22:13 PM   
Jimmer

Text-file exporting.

It will need the ability to export and import a vanilla text file (similar in concept to a "comma-separated value" file in Excel). In this case, the signature also needs to be embedded.

Security is not a big concern here, since everything should be pretty much public knowledge anyhow, at this point in the process.

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

Post #: 4
RE: Scenario packaging ideas - 6/10/2009 12:50:32 PM   
Marshall Ellis

The problem is that I must export all dependencies (Maps, table files, etc) so there would be multiple files to export.

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 5
RE: Scenario packaging ideas - 6/10/2009 8:37:58 PM   
Jimmer

Hmmm. Well, it still might work. But, that introduces the concept of "something is missing", which could doom a scenario. For example, let's say GB is supposed to have 100 ships, but they're missing from the file(s) because of an inadequate check.

But, if it could be done without error, it could even be used to migrate a game from one version to another, even if they would otherwise be incompatible versions. Sort of like writing down all of the pieces on the boardgame map and then putting them back on over at Joe's place.

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

Post #: 6
RE: Scenario packaging ideas - 6/11/2009 7:59:51 AM   
gazfun

well could someone give me an idea on what is meant on "packaging" , I guess the only way to find out is by downloading the patch right?

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 7
RE: Scenario packaging ideas - 6/11/2009 11:37:20 AM   
Marshall Ellis

Gaz:

When you create your scenario, the idea is that you might want to share this scenario with friends/gaming group. I need an easy way to do this. Build an archive file, zip file, etc. Something that you could easily create and send out. What would the community like?

Make sense?

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to gazfun)
Post #: 8
RE: Scenario packaging ideas - 6/15/2009 8:25:24 AM   
gazfun

Im not sure what an archive file is, but ATM zip files seem better that is if a zip file is smaller to email than an archive file, I think in this case smaller files that would be better anyway

Post #: 9
RE: Scenario packaging ideas - 6/15/2009 12:23:45 PM   
pzgndr

Modders need to know what game files are needed for exchange, then they can zip these into a package for posting.  There may be a readme file describing the mod(s) and other customized files the player would want to include in the package.  Just leave it up to the modder?  This works well enough for most other games. 

(in reply to gazfun)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Scenario packaging ideas Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI