Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

An Almost perfect game (SPWAW)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> An Almost perfect game (SPWAW) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
An Almost perfect game (SPWAW) - 5/24/2002 9:36:51 AM   
Jack

In my opinion, the only thing missing in this game, is consistancy with the retreat hex location and number of turns per game when setting up for a PBEM other than 1945. It just seems like a shame to have such a great game and not be able to play it to it's full potential. You can make the best custom map in the world but if the retreat hex dose not show up on the proper side it seems to take away from the game. Also when you plane on a 35 turn game and end up with an 11 turn game that can be a drag. Will this problem ever get solved? Is it impossible to fix?
Other than that I think it is a great game.
Post #: 1
But You Can ... - 5/24/2002 1:05:32 PM   
Capt. Pixel

During setup, you can preselect the number of turns, and Weather, and Visibility, in addition to selecting a custom Map. :cool:

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 2
- 5/24/2002 2:30:32 PM   
gnoccop

When you select a custom map be aware to the side each player is supposed to deploy.

If the retreat hexs are upsidedown, with the editor you can switch the side of player 1 and 2.

There are a lot of parameters you can edit with the tools packed with SPWAW.

The pdf manual is a mine of useful infomation, read it :D

"Violence is the last resource of incompetents". (I. Asimov)

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 3
- 5/25/2002 4:32:37 AM   
Jack

Just got home from work. First thank you for your inputs. I have read the manual and I know how to place the retreat hex and adjust turn number and weather. What I am trying to say you can do all the and it still get screwed up with the retreat hex and the turn # isn't always the way it is set up. I am speaking from experience I only play the game pbem. Ask anybody who only plays other pbem'ers. They will tell you the problem exist. No I don't submit a post everyday but I have been a member of this forum for 2 years now and I do read the almost every day what's been going on. I attached one of my custom maps and your guys can try it and see what I mean. Thanks again for your help.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 4
- 5/25/2002 9:14:21 AM   
tracer

Jack,
I do PBEMs exclusively also and know exactly what you mean about settings becoming 'unset'. One that I see often involves visibility: I'll input a VIS of say 18, then I'll set weather to '1' (clear)...unless I again input the VIS the battle will start with a visibility in the neighborhood of 50!

It appears that there is a proper order that must be followed.

Jim NSB

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 5
- 5/25/2002 9:46:37 AM   
Jack

That's right Tracer,
There appears to be an order. I will give you an example of what I found. Say you want to play a battle in 1949. You input the visibility, then turn numbers, and then weather. If you do the weather last then the turns come out all screwy. I guess the reason I find it so frustrating is because I usually play very large battles of 10,000 points with the large custom 100x240 maps. When playing large battles you want it to last more than 12 turns. You are force to think like a Battalion Commander moving Rifle coy's rather rifle Platoons. I find it much more challenging but at the same time tactical. It's a great game with just one flaw as far as I am concerned. If you haven't already downloaded my Map in my previous I
tink you will find it challenging for humane vs humane. If you don't like it you can always delete. Nice to know I am not the only one who noticed. Thanks for your two cents Tracer. Maybe we can have a game one day?

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 6
- 5/25/2002 7:58:06 PM   
tracer

Sounds great Jack; will send you a PM.

Jim NSB

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 7
Re: An Almost perfect game (SPWAW) - 5/25/2002 10:44:50 PM   
V-man

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jack
[B]Also when you plane on a 35 turn game and end up with an 11 turn game that can be a drag. Will this problem ever get solved? Is it impossible to fix?[/B][/QUOTE]

Problem? Problem? What problem? When I get a mission to defend with my mixed armor/infantry battalion, against a German assault with max points, and I'm able to go over to the offensive by turn 10 and end the game on turn 20, 15 turns early, I call that a GREAT game.

"You see, in this world there's 2 kinds of people, my friend:
Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 8
- 5/25/2002 11:01:17 PM   
Jack

Is that against human opponent or the AI? There is a big difference.

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 9
- 5/26/2002 12:41:13 AM   
V-man

[B]Is that against human opponent or the AI? There is a big difference. [/B][/QUOTE]

Against the AI. I always have a harder time against a human opponent.

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 10
- 5/26/2002 1:30:53 AM   
Jack

V-man
You will find that your play will substantially improve when playing against other humans.

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 11
- 5/26/2002 1:36:25 AM   
V-man

[QUOTE]Originally posted by V-man
[B]

Against the AI. I always have a harder time against a human opponent. [/B][/QUOTE]

??????

I was talking about beating the AI hands down. Going from having to defend against an assault to going over to the offensive.

Of course, the AI is dumb. Against Human opponents, I don't do nearly so well.

What did you think I was saying???

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 12
- 5/26/2002 2:48:31 AM   
Jack

V-man
I did not mean to offend. I was not sure in your previous reference about going on the offensive after defending. It certainly is not impossible to do against anothe human. I broke the other sides morale once against a human. That's all. Have a nice weekend.

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 13
- 5/26/2002 11:37:31 AM   
V-man

[B]V-man
I did not mean to offend. I was not sure in your previous reference about going on the offensive after defending. It certainly is not impossible to do against anothe human. I broke the other sides morale once against a human. That's all. Have a nice weekend. [/B][/QUOTE]

I can break the enemy's morale against a human opponent pretty routinely. Being able to change from a dedicated defense to offense against a human is harder, but I've done it a couple times.

No offense taken.

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> An Almost perfect game (SPWAW) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI