Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Throwing planes overboard

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Throwing planes overboard Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Throwing planes overboard - 6/21/2009 11:11:19 PM   
spence

I was wondering if the completely ahistorical and operationally (practically) suicidal (gamey in the extreme) practice of taking aboard stray aircraft from damaged aircraft carriers to such an extent that operations are closed down has been re-worked? No Captain of any ship is going to imperil his own command to pack his hangar and deck park to such an extent that he can no longer operate aircraft. This simply never happened. In cases where strays were recovered those that were damaged were heaved over the side (the pilots were not however). In no case was the operational capability of the carrier placed at risk for the sake of a few airframes.
Post #: 1
RE: Throwing planes overboard - 6/22/2009 8:41:42 AM   
JeffroK

Hard to work out, IMHO the aircraft should be able to land, but maybe you should be able to "disband" the fragment and absorb the pilots and have the aircraft in a "reserve" status.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 2
RE: Throwing planes overboard - 6/22/2009 12:17:17 PM   
Yamato hugger

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

I was wondering if the completely ahistorical and operationally (practically) suicidal (gamey in the extreme) practice of taking aboard stray aircraft from damaged aircraft carriers to such an extent that operations are closed down has been re-worked? No Captain of any ship is going to imperil his own command to pack his hangar and deck park to such an extent that he can no longer operate aircraft. This simply never happened. In cases where strays were recovered those that were damaged were heaved over the side (the pilots were not however). In no case was the operational capability of the carrier placed at risk for the sake of a few airframes.

I cant say I have ever seen a carrier take on enough strays to shut down operations. If you have an example, please post it.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 3
RE: Throwing planes overboard - 6/22/2009 12:54:10 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yamato hugger

quote:

I cant say I have ever seen a carrier take on enough strays to shut down operations. If you have an example, please post it.

I have done this too many times(LOL)..All you need do to see it is to have maybe 2, 3 friendly cv's nearby and lose one, or worse, 2..
The surviving planes will all land on the remaining carrier and clog the deck(accurately)..
Bad time for the enemy to show up..

While this will prevent CAP, the next turn you will be allowed to transfer those stragglers to another base,(if in range).

< Message edited by m10bob -- 6/22/2009 12:56:27 PM >

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 4
RE: Throwing planes overboard - 6/22/2009 1:09:21 PM   
Yamato hugger

It shouldnt take on more that the 15% over - in other words, it shouldnt shut down flight ops. Personally I havent seen it because I rarely travel out of air transfer range of a friendly base and when I do, I usually have empty CVEs trailing me to take on any extras as needed.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 5
RE: Throwing planes overboard - 6/23/2009 2:22:58 AM   
spence

quote:

The surviving planes will all land on the remaining carrier and clog the deck(accurately)

This is not accurate...part of the reason Zuikaku couldn't participate in the Midway operation was because it threw a bunch of aircraft over the side at the end of Coral Sea after it ended up as the only flight deck in town. In the necessary haste to land all (the surviving) strike aircraft from the both Shokaku and Zuikaku the deck crews made a quick survey of the planes as they landed and pushed even lightly damaged aircraft over the side to make room for those that needed to land afterwards. Because the aircrew were part of the ship's company in the IJN, CARDIV 5 ended up with two depleted airgroups after the battle (Shokakus aircrew/planes returned to Shokaku after the battle even though Shokaku was hors de combat due to damage).

Landing planes and saving the aircrew is not an issue here. Doing so to the extent that flight operations are curtailed is just not something that any responsible CO would do. Airframes have always been considered expendable and extras would be jettisoned without a second thought to maintain a combat ready ship.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 6
RE: Throwing planes overboard - 6/23/2009 2:27:31 AM   
spence

Here is a case in point. The planes shown are ready planes. A bunch more are in reserve so they don't show up in the airgroups.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by spence -- 6/23/2009 2:30:01 AM >

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 7
RE: Throwing planes overboard - 6/23/2009 2:45:16 AM   
JeffroK

I keep wanting to click on the pictures!!!!!!

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 8
RE: Throwing planes overboard - 6/23/2009 4:27:04 AM   
Yamato hugger

quote:

Here is a case in point. The planes shown are ready planes. A bunch more are in reserve so they don't show up in the airgroups.

54/58 wont stop flight ops. 54/62 wont stop flight ops. 54/63 would. Orange means over its max but still flying. Red means they arent flying anymore.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Throwing planes overboard Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI