Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Great game!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Great game! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Great game! - 5/30/2002 12:05:21 AM   
11Bravo

I am very impressed with this game. It is very complex for someone who has never played an operational or naval warfare game before. But I've been splitting my time between learning the game, and just jumping in and playing. Loads of fun, and I don't understand half of it.

Got a decisive victory in scenerio number 1, Coral Sea. My carriers got a late start, and left with an empty replenishment task force. They never did find the enemy CV's as they moved in drunken circles around the Coral Sea.

But the land based air at Ports Moresby kept the Jap task forces in disarray. The Japs had no problem taking the undefended Gilli-Gilli, but they got a regular pounding from all the air I transferred up to PM.

My subs and CV task force arrived just as the Jap CV left (to replenish?) and met a second load of Jap invasion troops just outside Gilli-Gilli. This might have been the PM invasion fleet. Like shooting fish in a barrel! At the end of the week, not a AP existed. We bagged the whole invasion fleet, some reinforcements for GG, and a mixed bag of CA's and DD's. Lost a sub, and a lot of air to regular raids on PM by better Japanese pilots. :)

I will be doing my part to spread the word! Good luck on the next game, and crack the whip on Battleline!

Squatting in the bush and marking it on a map.
Post #: 1
- 5/30/2002 12:45:59 AM   
Reiryc

Good post...

Nice to see some positive only posts.

Reiryc

(in reply to 11Bravo)
Post #: 2
- 5/30/2002 2:47:37 AM   
Wilhammer

Don't take critique as a negative thing, buit just as it is, positive feedback.

What has happened is that a GREAT GAME (IT IS) has fallen into the laps of its most devoted audience, THE GROGS.

And us Grogs are PICKY :)

(in reply to 11Bravo)
Post #: 3
- 5/30/2002 3:07:45 AM   
Preacher

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wilhammer
[B]And us Grogs are PICKY :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, WE grogs are picky :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Preacher

(in reply to 11Bravo)
Post #: 4
- 5/30/2002 3:10:20 AM   
Wilhammer

We vs. Us.

Is that a grammar error?

I never professed to be an English grog.

(in reply to 11Bravo)
Post #: 5
- 5/30/2002 3:26:35 AM   
Preacher

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wilhammer
[B]We vs. Us.

Is that a grammar error?

I never professed to be an English grog. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes. Drop the "grogs" and you'll see that, in effect, you had written "Us are picky." That makes it clear.

No big deal, though. Just picking :)

Preacher

(in reply to 11Bravo)
Post #: 6
- 5/30/2002 3:40:57 AM   
Wilhammer

Good point.

Thanks.

(in reply to 11Bravo)
Post #: 7
- 5/30/2002 3:46:19 AM   
AlvinS

Us Grogs have been known to be able to pick the fly s**t (poop) out of the pepper.:D

We thrive on details.

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ---Mark Twain

Naval Warfare Simulations

AlvinS

(in reply to 11Bravo)
Post #: 8
- 5/30/2002 6:00:51 AM   
11Bravo

While you Grogs were splitting gnat eyelashes, I've inexpertly led my CV TF to another decisive Coral Sea victory. Again we can't find the enemy carriers because of my expert screwing up. This time the enemy invasion fleet makes it to PM before we pick it apart.

Now that I've got the hang of things, maybe we can find those carriers for the next battle. :o

(in reply to 11Bravo)
Post #: 9
- 5/30/2002 6:41:52 AM   
elmo3

Be careful what you wish for...

(in reply to 11Bravo)
Post #: 10
They found me - 5/31/2002 1:20:59 AM   
11Bravo

For my third battle, I did the second scenerio, where you prevent the enemy from reinforcing Guadalcanal. Eastern Solomons.

I didn't like the opening setup, so I put all the carriers in one big TF, and culled out many CA and DD with good night experience into a separate surface combat TF. Also created a big cargo TF to run continuous supply into Lunga. A replenishment TF followed.

B17's ran supplies into Lunga while everything moved north. The enemy bombarded Lunga exactly once, then my surface combat TF went in at night. I lost 2 CA and 3 DD, he got 2 BB's and some DD's damaged. They didn't come back after that.

The next day their carriers found us and sent the kitchen sink. Our boys felt like CAP that day, and the enemy lost pretty much everything and hit nothing. It was scary watching the few survivors line up to attack the carriers, but the flak took care of them.

Our strikes found their hurt BB's and put one on the bottom.

Meanwhile our supplies arrived at Lunga, and a lot of LR CAP over Lunga and the supply TF ate Jap air as it arrived. Our carriers cautiously withdrew to the SE, just close enough to run LR CAP, and everyone replenished. I rested all the air on Lunga and transferred in some fresh units during the lull.

The rest of the scenerio found the Japs too scared to do anything. We harassed their ground troops with B-17's while waiting for them to do something. Our Lunga guys had a pile of supplies. And the pilots were very well rested as our carriers prepared to leave.

Minor victory for us.

Love this game. Too bad I have to go back to work now. :(

So far I have had good luck with my accidental strategy of avoiding carrier battles while using my air against their non-CV's and air units.

(in reply to 11Bravo)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Great game! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI