Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Cav/LightInf auto-foraging?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> Cav/LightInf auto-foraging? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cav/LightInf auto-foraging? - 8/23/2009 11:56:49 PM   
NeverMan

I attacked an area that had a depot garrison and a city garrison. Obviously I wanted to attack the city afterward but I couldn't. It appears that attacking a depot garrison made my cavalry and light infantry unit auto-forage (they were at normal supply before the battle)!!!???

I had other corps there (INF) that did not suffer from the same problem AND I had plenty of depots and money.

Is this in the rules or is this a bug?
Post #: 1
RE: Cav/LightInf auto-foraging? - 8/24/2009 6:54:56 AM   
Jimmer

It's neither. More of a design flaw (in the computer version).

A corps will always auto-forage at the end of land movement if it has enough movement left to auto-forage.

The solution is to use up its movement, if possible by wasted moving.

A long-term fix would be to add a check box to every corps telling it to use depot supply this turn, even if eligible for auto-foraging.

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 2
RE: Cav/LightInf auto-foraging? - 8/24/2009 8:16:08 AM   
bresh

Well rule is if you use unused movement points to forage, by any corps in the area, you cant siege.
Its an EIA rule, case you wonder, i dont recall witch, but you could try check a online rulebook.
Remember to move corps into City(Siege mode) before you end your move-turn, and before using autoforage/forage the corps.

Regards
Bresh

< Message edited by bresh -- 8/24/2009 8:17:28 AM >

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 3
RE: Cav/LightInf auto-foraging? - 8/24/2009 1:07:31 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: bresh

Well rule is if you use unused movement points to forage, by any corps in the area, you cant siege.
Its an EIA rule, case you wonder, i dont recall witch, but you could try check a online rulebook.
Remember to move corps into City(Siege mode) before you end your move-turn, and before using autoforage/forage the corps.

Regards
Bresh

1. Yes, I know THAT rule but I DIDN'T CHOOSE TO FORAGE, it just foraged FOR ME WITHOUT ASKING!
2. I couldn't move INTO THE CITY because the garrisoned depot was blocking that move.

Marshall, I'm not sure why or how this HORRIBLE design decision got into the game or why it's still there, CAN WE PLEASE FIX THIS!!??

(in reply to bresh)
Post #: 4
RE: Cav/LightInf auto-foraging? - 8/24/2009 2:26:29 PM   
bresh

Neverman no point using Caps, thats just to annoy people.

I only answear based on the info you post, you left out those details till your reply.
You should have accepted to destroy the depot, then you should have been able to move the corps into the city.
I can not see from your post if you at any point during your move chose the autoforage buttom, thus by accident autoforage the units before moving them into city(siege mode).

Regards
Bresh

< Message edited by bresh -- 8/24/2009 2:28:23 PM >

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 5
RE: Cav/LightInf auto-foraging? - 8/24/2009 3:00:21 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Neverman:

Did you eat the depot and supply?
Did you press Autoforage?
IF it can autoforage at the end of the land phase then it will UNLESS it is about to be ina a battle???
Let me know...

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to bresh)
Post #: 6
RE: Cav/LightInf auto-foraging? - 8/24/2009 3:15:14 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

Neverman:

Did you eat the depot and supply?
Did you press Autoforage?
IF it can autoforage at the end of the land phase then it will UNLESS it is about to be ina a battle???
Let me know...

1. It was a garrisoned depot, as I stated in the OP.
2. I didn't use the auto-forage button.
3. I did not use the autoforage button and it was a garrisoned depot.
4. The computer never asked me to "eat" the depot.

It was not the end of the land phase. During the land phase I tried to move into the city (after the battle with the garrisoned depot) and it would not let me (it would not even let my corps who paid for normal supply in the same stack move into the city to attack).

< Message edited by NeverMan -- 8/24/2009 3:17:21 PM >

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 7
RE: Cav/LightInf auto-foraging? - 8/24/2009 3:20:55 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Hmmmm? Can you send me your game then tell me how to dupe? I would like to see this...IF you want?

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 8
RE: Cav/LightInf auto-foraging? - 8/24/2009 7:21:10 PM   
Jimmer

I cannot believe you have never seen this before. I have seen it literally hundreds of times. It has always worked this way.

If you don't want to forage using movement points, then make sure you cannot at the time you enter the battle. The corps should use its last movement point to enter the territory in question (although, this is sometimes difficult to accomplish). If you use the auto-forage button OR if you let the system use it for you, then this situation will happen.

The situation is less common for corps that only move 3 spaces than for French corps and cavalry corps. When one enters battle with a 3-movement corps, one has 2 movement left (at most). The forage value of the area being entered would have to be 5 or higher in order for this corps to auto-forage. However, if the corps has 5 movement left, then the area can be as low as a 3 area and still allow auto-foraging.

Marshall, this is one of those bookkeeping issues that really shouldn't exist. But, I understand why it does in the code. However, there may be a simple fix: Create a check box on every corps that says "do not forage this corps this turn". If this were honored by the game, then this problem would evaporate.

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

Post #: 9
RE: Cav/LightInf auto-foraging? - 8/24/2009 8:52:47 PM   
bresh

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jimmer

I cannot believe you have never seen this before. I have seen it literally hundreds of times. It has always worked this way.

If you don't want to forage using movement points, then make sure you cannot at the time you enter the battle. The corps should use its last movement point to enter the territory in question (although, this is sometimes difficult to accomplish). If you use the auto-forage button OR if you let the system use it for you, then this situation will happen.

The situation is less common for corps that only move 3 spaces than for French corps and cavalry corps. When one enters battle with a 3-movement corps, one has 2 movement left (at most). The forage value of the area being entered would have to be 5 or higher in order for this corps to auto-forage. However, if the corps has 5 movement left, then the area can be as low as a 3 area and still allow auto-foraging.

Marshall, this is one of those bookkeeping issues that really shouldn't exist. But, I understand why it does in the code. However, there may be a simple fix: Create a check box on every corps that says "do not forage this corps this turn". If this were honored by the game, then this problem would evaporate.

The checkbox should probaly say pay supply, and then during end phase step forage only if no valid depot avaible.
As far as i understand this issue, the problem is the game rolled a forage as the endphase using unused movement point ?
I never encountered that the end-phase used unspend movement points for forage(useally it only happens if out of supply, and those times i dont see MP's used for it).

Regards
Bresh

< Message edited by bresh -- 8/24/2009 8:55:01 PM >

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 10
RE: Cav/LightInf auto-foraging? - 8/24/2009 8:54:15 PM   
Marshall Ellis

I'll look into this for a future change...

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to bresh)
Post #: 11
RE: Cav/LightInf auto-foraging? - 8/24/2009 9:17:47 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

The corps should use its last movement point to enter the territory in question (although, this is sometimes difficult to accomplish).

This is just ridiculous, sorry, it just is.

You should only forage IF you either 1) hit the button for that corps or 2) at the end of the phase you can't pay for supply to that corps.

This just needs to be fixed and SOON...

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 12
RE: Cav/LightInf auto-foraging? - 8/24/2009 9:50:23 PM   
Jimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: NeverMan

quote:

The corps should use its last movement point to enter the territory in question (although, this is sometimes difficult to accomplish).

This is just ridiculous, sorry, it just is.

You should only forage IF you either 1) hit the button for that corps or 2) at the end of the phase you can't pay for supply to that corps.

This just needs to be fixed and SOON...

I had to chuckle about this: I just today read an article (in a series) about logical fallacies, and this statement (bolded) is a perfect example of the fallacy of the "question-begging epithet". Life's little coincidences are indeed truly amazing at times. (The fallacy caught my attention because I do it all the time -- I really have to correct that in myself.)

It's hardly a high priority, though. While you are correct that it should be fixed (or, worked around, perhaps per my suggested change), I posted a thread way back at 1.01 about it, and few have complained loudly since.

Marshall, if you implement a "check-box" kind of feature as the fix for this, it would be REALLY nice if a player could select an ARMY in an area, in addition to just a corps. Something like right-clicking the area targetted by your attack and being able to check all of the sub-boxes with just one more click.

However, if you DO implement this, make sure the box gets unchecked at the end of your land movement phase (possibly while checking the value, in fact). It would be potentially VERY damaging to a player's finances if these values were held over from turn to turn.

By the way, for the lurkers: If you move a corps into a field combat which potentially has a siege combat coming after the field battle, and you have a corps you really DO want to forage (but not use movement points), the only way to do it is to select the corps and use the "Forage" button. Be careful: It's right next to the "Auto-forage All" button.

Anyhow, when you do a standard forage, it always asks you whether you want to use unused movement. You MUST say no, or else you will not be allowed to besiege the city with that corps or any other part of that army (until the next month).

This last would not be very common. Realistically, only France or Turkey is likely to ever use it. But, still, it DOES happen.

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 13
RE: Cav/LightInf auto-foraging? - 8/24/2009 11:15:34 PM   
NeverMan

Jimmer,

LOL, yes, the statement (on it's own) is a logical fallacy, no doubt, good job you passed PHIL101.

Anyways, does this make sense to anyone? It doesn't make sense to me considering that if you want to forage you have a button to do so, so unless there exists a button to pay supply normally this is a problem that needs to be corrected. Why forage before the movement phase has ended? That's really what gets me.

This can have major game changing impacts. What if I couldn't get all my corps there due to the "must use all movement points".

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 14
RE: Cav/LightInf auto-foraging? - 8/25/2009 12:42:51 AM   
Marshall Ellis

I will look to see is some type of order/checkbox can be applied here since I can see a few possibilities!

1. Some folks may not want this unit to pay for supply (It may be 3 spaces away in winter = 6$).
2. Some folks may want to pay for supply so that it can try an assault!

Both of these should be subject to the player's choice!

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 15
RE: Cav/LightInf auto-foraging? - 8/25/2009 1:34:20 AM   
NeverMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

I will look to see is some type of order/checkbox can be applied here since I can see a few possibilities!

1. Some folks may not want this unit to pay for supply (It may be 3 spaces away in winter = 6$).
2. Some folks may want to pay for supply so that it can try an assault!

Both of these should be subject to the player's choice!

Both of these are already available except for the aforementioned BUG (that's what it is to me).

If they want it to forage then all they have to do is click the "forage button" for that unit (already available). If they want to pay by normal supply.. do nothing!

I don't see the need for order/checkboxes, can someone help me understand this better?

Post #: 16
RE: Cav/LightInf auto-foraging? - 8/25/2009 1:16:42 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

Very true, and after all this time I've gotten used to it and would hardly call it a "crisis" at this point. I agree with Marshall's solution and would prefer having an explicit option to pay for supply or not pay for supply, to prevent cases of auto-foraging restricting seige opportunities. There are still lots of more important issues to resolve.

quote:

bresh, caps or no caps, it doesn't make much difference? I find it amusing that such a highly experienced player discovers something like this auto-foraging feature 20 months after release and then crys foul.

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 17
RE: Cav/LightInf auto-foraging? - 8/25/2009 3:38:01 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

quote:

Very true, and after all this time I've gotten used to it and would hardly call it a "crisis" at this point. I agree with Marshall's solution and would prefer having an explicit option to pay for supply or not pay for supply, to prevent cases of auto-foraging restricting seige opportunities. There are still lots of more important issues to resolve.

quote:

bresh, caps or no caps, it doesn't make much difference? I find it amusing that such a highly experienced player discovers something like this auto-foraging feature 20 months after release and then crys foul.

Actually, I've seen it before I had just assumed it got fixed. I remember when Jimmer first discovered this.

Are you going to troll even my bug-finding threads too? Sad life.

The auto-forage end of land phase "feature" should only work on corps not in range of a depot (aka, not in supply). This is a BUG and should be described as such.

Why would the computer auto-forage corps that 1) The player didn't say to auto-forage with the already implemented auto-forage button and 2) are in range of normal supply.

Why it's a bug:

Corps in range of normal supply should be paid for with normal supply at the end of the land phase unless otherwise stated by the player. The way this game is implemented is that ALL corps WITHIN range of a depot (part of a vaild supply chain) should be paid for with normal supply UNLESS otherwise stated by the player. In my case I didn't state that so it's a BUG!

It's that simple right?

I don't understand the need for another bulky mechanism here, the UI is already bad enough why are you trying to make it worse?

It's just bad practice to add code to fix something that can just as easily be fixed by subtracting code.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 18
RE: Cav/LightInf auto-foraging? - 8/25/2009 5:02:05 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

Why it's a bug:

No. A game feature working as designed is NOT a software bug. Sorry.

The as-designed feature is not optimal and should be reconsidered, and Marshall has agreed to work on some type of order/checkbox. This should be sufficient to move on...

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 19
RE: Cav/LightInf auto-foraging? - 8/25/2009 5:49:44 PM   
Jimmer

quote:

Jimmer,

LOL, yes, the statement (on it's own) is a logical fallacy, no doubt, good job you passed PHIL101.

Anyways, does this make sense to anyone? It doesn't make sense to me considering that if you want to forage you have a button to do so, so unless there exists a button to pay supply normally this is a problem that needs to be corrected. Why forage before the movement phase has ended? That's really what gets me.

This can have major game changing impacts. What if I couldn't get all my corps there due to the "must use all movement points".

When designing the game, Marshall would have had to make a choice between accuracy (manually deal with each corps) or easy of use (allow the game to auto-forage and pay for supply at the end of movement). He chose the latter.

The worst that can happen with the current model is you will take one extra month to conquer the city. That's not much of an impact unless your assault requires maximum speed.

Marshall, one thing is for sure: The game is getting better! A year ago, we couldn't even entertain fixing this, because game-stopping bugs were so prevalent we couldn't even think up a solution. But, now, we're able to focus in on some relatively minor issues like this.

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 20
RE: Cav/LightInf auto-foraging? - 8/25/2009 5:52:47 PM   
Jimmer

quote:

Both of these are already available except for the aforementioned BUG (that's what it is to me).

If they want it to forage then all they have to do is click the "forage button" for that unit (already available). If they want to pay by normal supply.. do nothing!

I don't see the need for order/checkboxes, can someone help me understand this better?

Propose your solution then.

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 21
RE: Cav/LightInf auto-foraging? - 8/25/2009 6:02:56 PM   
Jimmer

quote:

Why it's a bug:

Corps in range of normal supply should be paid for with normal supply at the end of the land phase unless otherwise stated by the player. The way this game is implemented is that ALL corps WITHIN range of a depot (part of a vaild supply chain) should be paid for with normal supply UNLESS otherwise stated by the player. In my case I didn't state that so it's a BUG!

It's that simple right?

I don't understand the need for another bulky mechanism here, the UI is already bad enough why are you trying to make it worse?

It's just bad practice to add code to fix something that can just as easily be fixed by subtracting code.

Wrong. For two major reasons, both dealing with money:

First, this change would cost the average player something like several hundred pounds a game. That's non-trivial.

Second, what is the game supposed to do when you don't have enough money to pay for supply?

Marshall made the right decision initially, but there needs to be a more robust solution. Changing it to your model is unacceptable.

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 22
RE: Cav/LightInf auto-foraging? - 8/25/2009 6:48:58 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

quote:

Why it's a bug:

It's that simple right?

Wrong. For two major reasons, both dealing with money:

First, this change would cost the average player something like several hundred pounds a game. That's non-trivial.

Second, what is the game supposed to do when you don't have enough money to pay for supply?

Marshall made the right decision initially, but there needs to be a more robust solution. Changing it to your model is unacceptable.

First, why?

Second, forage.

I guess I'll build a state machine and upload it, may take some time, I have other work to do.

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 23
RE: Cav/LightInf auto-foraging? - 8/25/2009 8:41:31 PM   
Jimmer

quote:

First, why?

Because now you are auto-funding corps which previously could have auto-foraged. With no choice available for individual corps, the game has to pick an option.

quote:

Second, forage.

Ummm, that's what you just ruled out as being a choice. This whole thread is a complaint that the computer did exactly this action. You can't have it both ways. Either the game forages or pays for supply. Or, do you really want it to randomly determine which corps get paid for and which forage?

Marshall put in what seemed to have been a good compromise: Auto-forage those that can. Then, pay for corps which can't auto-forage. Finally, forage those for which neither of the above applies (presumably randomly chosen).

Of course, you could always force the user to make a choice for each and every corps on the map. Which is precisely what my solution entails, except it does it en masse, rather than individually.

quote:

I guess I'll build a state machine and upload it, may take some time, I have other work to do.

???

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 24
RE: Cav/LightInf auto-foraging? - 8/25/2009 8:46:07 PM   
Jimmer

Marshall, another idea: SOME corps will be candidates for "Never forage this corps except manually". This could be another checkbox choice that would remain through the end of land movement, unlike the other post stated. For example, ones guard corps, cavalry corps, British corps, etc, might all be candidates for a "do not forage for the whole game, except manually". If a corps with this box checked made it to the end of the phase without the player foraging it, then supply becomes the default.

Along with this, these corps should probably be the first corps in ones entire army to get paid for (in situations where limited funding is available). In fact, a player might even number them by priority in a table somewhere, if the option existed.

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 25
RE: Cav/LightInf auto-foraging? - 8/25/2009 10:25:27 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

quote:

First, why?

Because now you are auto-funding corps which previously could have auto-foraged. With no choice available for individual corps, the game has to pick an option.

quote:

Second, forage.

Ummm, that's what you just ruled out as being a choice. This whole thread is a complaint that the computer did exactly this action. You can't have it both ways. Either the game forages or pays for supply. Or, do you really want it to randomly determine which corps get paid for and which forage?

Marshall put in what seemed to have been a good compromise: Auto-forage those that can. Then, pay for corps which can't auto-forage. Finally, forage those for which neither of the above applies (presumably randomly chosen).

Of course, you could always force the user to make a choice for each and every corps on the map. Which is precisely what my solution entails, except it does it en masse, rather than individually.

quote:

???

Jimmer, but there is a choice for individual corps! Just click the "forage" button!!!

If the player wants to forage that corps that's all he has to do.

The problem with Marshall's setup is that there exists a button that does "auto-forage" so if the user wants the corps that can auto-forage to forage all the user has to do is hit this button, so why have this implemented TWICE!!?? This makes NO sense.

There are two buttons:
1. Forage this unit.
2. Auto-Forage all available units.

And a third option:
3. Any units not foraged at the end of the phase should either 1) be paid for with normal supply if available or 2) forage.

From these three already implemented thing it covers all scenarios... all that is left to do is remove the "auto forage all available" auto option.

Your solution is needlessly complex though it does allow for the user to be tremendously stupid.

Each corps should do one of three things:

1. Forage
2. Auto-forage
3. Normal Supply

The solution to each one:

1. Forage - a button exists
2. Auto-Forage - a button exists
3. Normal Supply - happens at the end of the land phase

Now we just need to remove the "auto-forage at the end of the land phase" option and everything is still covered WITHOUT this bug.

< Message edited by NeverMan -- 8/25/2009 10:27:20 PM >

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 26
RE: Cav/LightInf auto-foraging? - 8/27/2009 8:02:30 PM   
Jimmer

quote:

Jimmer, but there is a choice for individual corps! Just click the "forage" button!!!

It's too late for that! By your definition of the problem, since you clicked the "end turn" button, it has to make a choice. You no longer have the option of foraging it manually (unless the phase-end code finds something it can't deal with and then stops and asks you a question).

The problem is that YOU did not tell it what to do, so the game has to choose for you. You may not like its choice, but then you should solve it in advance.

quote:

The problem with Marshall's setup is that there exists a button that does "auto-forage" so if the user wants the corps that can auto-forage to forage all the user has to do is hit this button, so why have this implemented TWICE!!?? This makes NO sense.

There are two buttons:
1. Forage this unit.

And a third option:
3. Any units not foraged at the end of the phase should either 1) be paid for with normal supply if available or 2) forage.

This is incorrect. This may be what you WANT it to do, but it's definitely not what it does, and this is documented in the manual. The actual sequence in #3 is

A) Auto-forage if available
B) Pay for supply if available
C) Forage

Note that your whole argument in this section is fallacious. You are saying (paraphrased) that "there is an auto-forage button, so if the user doesn't use it, then the game shouldn't either". However, there is also a FORAGE button, yet "forage" shows up in your list of steps (3.2, 3.C in mine). All Marshall did was allow all three options to be tried (in a certain order), rather than just two of them.

One could make both 3.A and 3.C not part of the list, but you would be looking at a lot more interaction with the game in that case. I think Marshall made the right choice.

quote:

From these three already implemented thing it covers all scenarios... all that is left to do is remove the "auto forage all available" auto option.

Your solution is needlessly complex though it does allow for the user to be tremendously stupid.

I fail to see how it allows the user to be stupid. All it does is allow the user to not have to use up movement points before entering combat. I could see how that would make one lazy, but not stupid. Stupid would be, in the current setup, moving into an area without using up all of the corps movement points.

quote:

1. Forage
2. Auto-forage
3. Normal Supply

Now we just need to remove the "auto-forage at the end of the land phase" option and everything is still covered WITHOUT this bug.

See above. What happens when the user does not forage or auto-forage a corps that is out of supply? Marshall's solution answers that question unambiguously. Yours ignores it. A computer does not have that option. It MUST do SOMEthing.

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 27
RE: Cav/LightInf auto-foraging? - 8/27/2009 8:08:53 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

quote:

It's too late for that! By your definition of the problem, since you clicked the "end turn" button, it has to make a choice. You no longer have the option of foraging it manually (unless the phase-end code finds something it can't deal with and then stops and asks you a question).

The problem is that YOU did not tell it what to do, so the game has to choose for you. You may not like its choice, but then you should solve it in advance.

quote:

There are two buttons:
1. Forage this unit.

And a third option:

This is incorrect. This may be what you WANT it to do, but it's definitely not what it does, and this is documented in the manual. The actual sequence in #3 is

C) Forage

Note that your whole argument in this section is fallacious. You are saying (paraphrased) that "there is an auto-forage button, so if the user doesn't use it, then the game shouldn't either". However, there is also a FORAGE button, yet "forage" shows up in your list of steps (3.2, 3.C in mine). All Marshall did was allow all three options to be tried (in a certain order), rather than just two of them.

One could make both 3.A and 3.C not part of the list, but you would be looking at a lot more interaction with the game in that case. I think Marshall made the right choice.

quote:

I fail to see how it allows the user to be stupid. All it does is allow the user to not have to use up movement points before entering combat. I could see how that would make one lazy, but not stupid. Stupid would be, in the current setup, moving into an area without using up all of the corps movement points.

quote:

1. Forage
2. Auto-forage
3. Normal Supply

See above. What happens when the user does not forage or auto-forage a corps that is out of supply? Marshall's solution answers that question unambiguously. Yours ignores it. A computer does not have that option. It MUST do SOMEthing.

Jimmer, I think we are having a communication breakdown, so to speak.

Yes, I didn't tell it what to do (for a good reason: I wanted it to pay by normal supply!!)

This is how it SHOULD work, which is what I'm advocating here, that it be fixed to work the way I suggested.

Why do you need the option to auto-forage/forage twice???? That is redundant, adds needless code and is needlessly complex.

Why you can't see this is actually really blowing my mind.

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 28
RE: Cav/LightInf auto-foraging? - 8/27/2009 8:10:45 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

quote:

quote:

There are two buttons:
1. Forage this unit.

And a third option:

C) Forage

This is not true actually, this is not what I've said at all. He's allowing the forage option TWICE (once during the land phase and once at the end of it). WHY?? Why Twice?? If the player wanted to auto-forage/forage the unit then he would have hit the button to do just that!!! Why is this so puzzling to you?

quote:

Why do we need to assume the user is so stupid that he needs to be allowed to forage TWICE? In case he forgot the first time??
quote:

1. Forage
2. Auto-forage
3. Normal Supply

NO, mine doesn't ignore it, try reading my posts please... I've already said above that if the computer is paying for normal supply and a corps is out of range/supply then the computer should forage that unit. Why should the computer try to forage a unit BEFORE it checks to see if it can be paid for by normal supply????? THIS MAKES NO ****ING SENSE!!

< Message edited by NeverMan -- 8/27/2009 8:18:53 PM >

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 29
RE: Cav/LightInf auto-foraging? - 8/27/2009 8:56:52 PM   
Jimmer

Neverman, your statements have given me another idea:

An alternative to the checkbox idea would be to stop and ask the user whether to forage or not. It could be done with one dialog box per army. It would only need to check field combat areas, since sieges would already be handled correctly. So, the game could simply scan for combat areas. If it finds one in which any corps is present and attacking, it would stop the end-of-phase processing and instead show the player the list of corps present, and which ones have movement left. The player could then choose, for the stack, whether to halt and manually deal with the corps, or to allow them all to forage (with or without movement being used).

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> Cav/LightInf auto-foraging? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI