Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Infantry Upgrades

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Infantry Upgrades Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Infantry Upgrades - 9/22/2009 3:56:28 AM   
byron13

So I'm still just in February and am still feeling out the replacements system. I understand that Allied infantry squads are very valuable due to low replacement rates, so I have most of my Aussie units with replacements off to direct replacements to selected units.

I have three infantry battalions, each made up of CMF militia, with replacements on. According to the troop database, CMF militia sections are supposed to upgrade to CMF infantry. There are more than enough CMF Infantry sections available to upgrade the battalions. Each is in a base with more than 20,000 supply and one is co-located with its HQ. It has been a couple of weeks now, and they will not upgrade. Why not? Is there something I can do to increase their chances of upgrading? Or does it just happen when it decides to?

I'm also running this as a kind of test to see what happens during the upgrade. I'm used to the old system where, if the unit's TOE calls for 36 sections, then 36 CMF Infantry sections would disappear from the pool when the battalion upgrades. If I understand AE, I'm expecting the battalions to upgrade without using any of the CMF Infantry sections in the pool - the "you're replacing weapons, not troops" concept. But the gosh-darned things won't cooperate by upgrading.

Any help or ideas appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Infantry Upgrades - 9/22/2009 5:33:18 AM   
BigJ62

Which unit (id) in particular are you referring to?

Witp-AE
AeAi…AeAi …AeAi…Long live AeAi.

(in reply to byron13)
Post #: 2
RE: Infantry Upgrades - 9/22/2009 9:38:39 AM   
Smeulders

You need double the amount of CMF Inf in the pools before it will upgrade, so if you've got 36 squads (isn't that the full TOE for the Aus battalions ?) in the battalions, you need 72 CMF Inf in the pool.

You are correct that once you upgrade, you shouldn't lose any troops from the pools, but there is an exception. If you have disabled squads, your pool of CMF Inf will be lowered by "number of  disabled squads/2, rounded up."

(in reply to BigJ62)
Post #: 3
RE: Infantry Upgrades - 9/22/2009 2:53:30 PM   
Montbrun

The 3rd and 5th Australian Divisions have borked replacement routines too. They don't want to fill out, and they're both 25 pounder hogs...

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 4
RE: Infantry Upgrades - 9/23/2009 7:22:37 AM   
byron13

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smeulders

You need double the amount of CMF Inf in the pools before it will upgrade, so if you've got 36 squads (isn't that the full TOE for the Aus battalions ?) in the battalions, you need 72 CMF Inf in the pool.

You are correct that once you upgrade, you shouldn't lose any troops from the pools, but there is an exception. If you have disabled squads, your pool of CMF Inf will be lowered by "number of  disabled squads/2, rounded up."

Yup. 36 it is. So this "double the number" stuff - where did that come from? Don't see it in the rules. Is that a militia thing, an Aussie/Commonwealth thing, or is that the way it is for all infantry? Nyeesh. I may be able to upgrade a brigade sometime in '44.

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 5
RE: Infantry Upgrades - 9/23/2009 9:36:11 AM   
Smeulders

I think it's a general rule for all devices, had a brigade in India that wouldn't trade in it's 18-pounders even though there were enough 25-pdrs in pool, until the day a convoy arrived and pushed the pool over double.

(in reply to byron13)
Post #: 6
RE: Infantry Upgrades - 9/23/2009 1:04:00 PM   
BaitBoy

The 'double number before upgrade' thing makes sense when I think about it. This way there are enough in inventory to replace combat losses.

"You go over there and attract their attention while I . . . "

Member Henchmen and Sidekicks Local 272

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 7
RE: Infantry Upgrades - 9/23/2009 10:42:34 PM   
Smeulders

But it does mean that a country like New Zealand will take a long long time to upgrade it's brigades if it doesn't disband some smaller, upgraded units into the pools.

(in reply to BaitBoy)
Post #: 8
RE: Infantry Upgrades - 9/23/2009 11:23:28 PM   
jcjordan

Not to sidetrack here but on infantry device upgrades, I thought that it was instantaneous on your infantry types. I've just started getting the Ind Inf 42 but only a couple of units have upgraded to them & most are still the old type. As I understood it was that once you got enough of the upgrade type in the pool to upgrade a unit those old types that went back into the pool from the upgrade but were immediately upgraded to the new type so you'd have a cascade effect of upgrading to new device throughout your units, based on supply lvl of course. I've got 70 of the old type in the pool & only a couple of the new type in pool but about 50 have been used. Am I missing something?

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 9
RE: Infantry Upgrades - 9/24/2009 2:00:57 AM   
medicff

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcjordan

Not to sidetrack here but on infantry device upgrades, I thought that it was instantaneous on your infantry types. I've just started getting the Ind Inf 42 but only a couple of units have upgraded to them & most are still the old type. As I understood it was that once you got enough of the upgrade type in the pool to upgrade a unit those old types that went back into the pool from the upgrade but were immediately upgraded to the new type so you'd have a cascade effect of upgrading to new device throughout your units, based on supply lvl of course. I've got 70 of the old type in the pool & only a couple of the new type in pool but about 50 have been used. Am I missing something?

quote:

You are correct that once you upgrade, you shouldn't lose any troops from the pools, but there is an exception. If you have disabled squads, your pool of CMF Inf will be lowered by "number of disabled squads/2, rounded up."

Yes see post #3. Once you begin the process it moves quickly as long as you have non disabled squads. They are all returned and ready for next unit to upgrade.

edit: note it might take more than one turn to actually process the upgrade so leave the unit ON and wait a couple of turns

< Message edited by medicff -- 9/24/2009 2:02:54 AM >

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 10
RE: Infantry Upgrades - 9/24/2009 2:59:17 AM   
jcjordan

So due to the double effect, my Ind Divs & Brigs won't upgrade for some time plus I'll loose 1/2 the number of old disabled from the new type when they do if there's enough in the pool? Just making sure I understand it as the IJ AI is just starting towards Moulmein so I've been resting/replacing my Indian troops for that push.

(in reply to medicff)
Post #: 11
RE: Infantry Upgrades - 9/24/2009 3:50:45 AM   
medicff

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcjordan

So due to the double effect, my Ind Divs & Brigs won't upgrade for some time plus I'll loose 1/2 the number of old disabled from the new type when they do if there's enough in the pool? Just making sure I understand it as the IJ AI is just starting towards Moulmein so I've been resting/replacing my Indian troops for that push.

Yes it will take 3-4 months to start the ball rolling. You can assist by making sure All units with limited squads are set at NO replacements to conserve. These usually are all sitting in the back waters resting (and recovering those disabled squads) and training when hit 100 prep points. As they start converting move them and get the next one ready. Once this process is done you have a REAL combat unit that can at least hold its own vs the IJ. No sense in wasting the poor trained, ill equipped green troops trying to stop them.

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Infantry Upgrades Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI