Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Solitaire Board-Games

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Solitaire Board-Games Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Solitaire Board-Games - 6/27/2009 11:43:58 AM   
Lützow

I'm looking for recommendations about boardgames which are supposed to be played in solitaire mode and offer a decent degree of detail and complexity. What means I value an appropriate learning curve and dislike any 'casual' stuff. Par example, I once purchased the pc spin-off of Axis & Allies (Hasbro) and found it lacking. The theatre doesn't matter as long as it cover WW2 and Axis (German) side. Unfortunately cosims are not popular here, so I got no clue where to start or which company is known for making decent games.
Post #: 1
RE: Solitaire Board-Games - 6/27/2009 1:49:33 PM   
killroyishere

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/11710/item/196900#item196900

http://alsandor.net/jeux/sololistrev1.html

< Message edited by killroyishere -- 6/27/2009 1:53:41 PM >

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 2
RE: Solitaire Board-Games - 6/27/2009 2:30:51 PM   
Peter Fisla

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lützow

I'm looking for recommendations about boardgames which are supposed to be played in solitaire mode and offer a decent degree of detail and complexity. What means I value an appropriate learning curve and dislike any 'casual' stuff. Par example, I once purchased the pc spin-off of Axis & Allies (Hasbro) and found it lacking. The theatre doesn't matter as long as it cover WW2 and Axis (German) side. Unfortunately cosims are not popular here, so I got no clue where to start or which company is known for making decent games.

True solo games:

WW2 tactical scale: Advanced Squad Leader + Solitaire Module

RAF II: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/40209

Silent War: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/17484

I play a lot of ASL with SASL and I love it. ASL is the WW2 tactical boardgame system and combined that with the Solitaire ASL module is a lot of fun for me...this is how I play ASL. I actually play something called TEAM SASL, meaning my friend and I we divide our force between us and go against the system (SASL). I'm currently playing Valor of the Guards Historical ASL module Campaign Game 2 using true solo rules released for VotG and it's tons of fun. ASL + SASL can be played using Java ASL client on the computer...here is a picture of VotG campaign (the picture shows really a very small area of the whole battle, check out VotG on Boardgamegeek to see how big VotG map is)

There are other games out there, like: B-17, B-29, Patton's Best...check out boardgamegeek more on these and other solo games.

Peter

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 3
RE: Solitaire Board-Games - 6/27/2009 2:39:03 PM   
sprior

Don't forget VG's Ambush! and it's progeny. AH's raid on St Nazaire.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Peter Fisla)
Post #: 4
RE: Solitaire Board-Games - 6/27/2009 11:13:21 PM   
Sarge

quote:

As mentioned above, the usual games B17, Patton’s Best , Ambush along with SASL are all worth the purchase .

But if your not set on the classic Hex ’n Counter dice mechanics you might want to look into card management for solo play .

1) IMHO the AH’s classic Up Front would be what your looking for . Might be hard to find and probably will pay a premium for a mint copy .

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/586

2) I picked up GMT’s Field Of Fire but the learning curve was steep , once I had a couple games under my belt and grasped the unorthodox mechanics and rule set the game played out fluently with a strong narrative.

only problem is you can’t play axis and WWII is only one of the three campaigns in the box .
The game covers the 9th US Infantry and their campaigns from Normandy, Korea to Nam

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/22877

< Message edited by Sarge -- 6/28/2009 12:48:17 AM >

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 5
RE: Solitaire Board-Games - 6/28/2009 9:47:16 AM   
Lützow

Thank you for recommondations, guys. Guess I'm going to start with Silent War.

I recently discovered SunTzu which offers a plethora of clients, including WiF. Does that mean one could just play with fellow gamers by i-net without purchasing the original gamebox?

< Message edited by Lützow -- 6/28/2009 9:48:31 AM >

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 6
RE: Solitaire Board-Games - 6/28/2009 4:11:46 PM   
Sarge

quote:

I recently discovered SunTzu which offers a plethora of clients, including WiF. Does that mean one could just play with fellow gamers by i-net without purchasing the original gamebox?

Silent War is well worth the purchase, but don’t overlook vassal as a alternative for board solo play . Many games can be played with self imposed house rules with relative ease.

As the vassal example below of Combat Commander Europe with its card mechanics and random events is a nice fit for solitary play and to boot you can pick up H2H games on the server if inclined .

PS: I am not familiar with the SunTzu clients ? But vassal is not meant as a alternative to the box ,its not recommended to be used as a demo or preview most publishers are posting up PDF rules sets for DL so customers interested can get a in-depth look at the mechanics .

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 7
RE: Solitaire Board-Games - 6/28/2009 4:27:42 PM   
Lützow

Regarding boardgame.geek Combat Commander is not made for solitaire play.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 8
RE: Solitaire Board-Games - 6/28/2009 5:25:27 PM   
Sarge

quote:

Regarding boardgame.geek Combat Commander is not made for solitaire play.

Its your dime, I was just making alternative suggestions considering of the lack of solo board games on the market.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 9
RE: Solitaire Board-Games - 6/28/2009 5:43:45 PM   
Challerain

How about Dan Versen Games.  I think they have two solo games (Rommel and Alexander).

http://www.dvg.com/

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 10
RE: Solitaire Board-Games - 6/28/2009 8:00:44 PM   
Lascar

You might want to take a look at Avalanche Press games. They have an extensive library of historically accurate boardgames many of which have a good or very good solitaire playability rating.

Avalanche Press

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 11
RE: Solitaire Board-Games - 6/28/2009 8:22:39 PM   
Grymme

Raid on St Nazaire http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1425 is widely aknowledged as one of the best solitaire games around. As a result it has a huge second hand value. I think a mint copy goes for something like 200$ (and its a pretty small game).

My Advanced Tactics Mod page
http://atgscenarios.wordpress.com

30+ scenarios, maps and mods for AT and AT:G

(in reply to Lascar)
Post #: 12
RE: Solitaire Board-Games - 6/29/2009 4:26:53 AM   
GJK

CARRIER was always a favorite of mine, although it does have a steep learning curve. However, the rules are in the "programmed" style, so you read a few sections and then play a scenario that covers what you've just read and you build upon that. Excellent game that is as tense and exciting as any solitaire mechanism could be.

(in reply to Grymme)
Post #: 13
RE: Solitaire Board-Games - 6/29/2009 6:20:36 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

I have to admit that I only browsed the suggestions above, but I didn't see Tokyo Express mentioned.

Years after it was published, I purchased Task Force 1942 and was struck by the extent to which one medium appeared to have influenced the other.

Two thumbs up for both titles!

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 14
RE: Solitaire Board-Games - 6/29/2009 1:57:06 PM   
Peter Fisla

Actually Combat Commander works well for me as solitaire....the card system works well for me. The only thing about CC is that I miss vehicles :)

I was thinking about Field of Fire but the scope is too limited for me. I would like to be able to play as Axis or Russian on the Eastern Front...Stalingrad would be really cool (I doubt it will ever happen though).

< Message edited by Peter Fisla -- 6/29/2009 1:58:06 PM >

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 15
RE: Solitaire Board-Games - 6/29/2009 3:50:24 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

Unfortunately cosims are not popular here ...

You might want to think about joining GHS ( www.ghs-kosim.de )
Good for hooking up with other cosimers.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 16
RE: Solitaire Board-Games - 6/29/2009 5:43:48 PM   
Lützow

Has anybody experience with Red Storm over the Reich? According to boardgamegeek it's suitable for solitair play.

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 17
RE: Solitaire Board-Games - 6/29/2009 7:08:49 PM   
Peter Fisla

quote:

Has anybody experience with Red Storm over the Reich? According to boardgamegeek it's suitable for solitair play.

I don't have it but Noble Knight Games has it:

http://www.nobleknight.com/ProductDetailSearch.asp_Q_ProductID_E_2147380168_A_InventoryID_E_2147621306_A_ProductLineID_E__A_ManufacturerID_E__A_CategoryID_E__A_GenreID_E_

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 18
RE: Solitaire Board-Games - 6/29/2009 10:36:33 PM   
Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Fisla
I was thinking about Field of Fire but the scope is too limited for me. I would like to be able to play as Axis or Russian on the Eastern Front...Stalingrad would be really cool (I doubt it will ever happen though).

There has been talk of expansions/add-on modules......

(in reply to Peter Fisla)
Post #: 19
RE: Solitaire Board-Games - 10/6/2009 6:18:52 AM   
ijontichy

I'm currently playing D-Day at Omaha Beach, a solitaire boardgame by John Butterfield (of Ambush! fame). Much recommended.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 20
RE: Solitaire Board-Games - 10/6/2009 1:34:57 PM   
Barthheart

Not strickly solitare but Lock 'n Load's Band of Heroes squad level games are very solitare friendly. Spotting rules take away some of that "All seeing Eye" ability. Easier rules that ASL and good VASSAL module too.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to ijontichy)
Post #: 21
RE: Solitaire Board-Games - 10/6/2009 3:08:45 PM   
killroyishere

quote:

Dawn of the Dead : Decision Games best zombie wargame I ever played.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 22
RE: Solitaire Board-Games - 10/16/2009 5:27:43 PM   
Rainbow7

I always recommend Luftschiff, which is a detailed solitaire simulation of Zeppelins during World War I and beyond.

Here's my review of the game:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/118558

Troubles overcome are good to tell. -Yiddish saying

(in reply to killroyishere)
Post #: 23
RE: Solitaire Board-Games - 10/17/2009 12:09:56 AM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarge

1) IMHO the AH’s classic Up Front would be what your looking for . Might be hard to find and probably will pay a premium for a mint copy .

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/586

Up Front is not really a solitaire game. Although it is quite playable solitaire using the "switching hats" style of playing both sides.

quote:

Try out my Vassal module for Silent War, which should still be available at Compass Games' site(?).
(actually, I did more than a couple Vassal modules for solitaire games as well, at the Vassal site)

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Solitaire Board-Games Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI