Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Average Repair Time and Replacements

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Average Repair Time and Replacements Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Average Repair Time and Replacements - 10/18/2009 12:55:01 PM   
Rossj

The average repair time for CVs seems too low. Typically a deployed CV has an average repair time of 3-6 days per fighter. The idea that the majority of 27 fighters will be down after a day or two of operations is unlikely. I served in naval aviation for over 20 years including a deployment on the USS Midway, running a maintenance department and a squadron. It is standard practice now and I suspect it was common practice then to cannabalize aircraft to get mare aircraft operational. If anything, the algorithm should be non linear. The repair rate should be exceptionally high when there are lots of planes down and painfully slow when you start nearing 100% readiness. But when you return to port the repair rate should be near instantaneous, especially if replacement aircraft are available.
Replacements rates for for land bases may be out of whack too. I have a base at PM which is large, well staffed with aviation support and well supplied, yet my fighters squadrons shrink and do not seem to replenish.
Post #: 1
RE: Average Repair Time and Replacements - 10/18/2009 2:15:31 PM   
wdolson

I think you mean the repair time for carrier planes is too high.  It's a bug which has been dealt with in patch 2.

Air units can only draw replacements every 7 days, so a unit in heavy combat may get diminished before being able to get more replacements.  Especially early in the war Allied units on the front lines were rarely at full strength for very long.

Another thing is that if you have replacements on for all your air units, the meager supply of aircraft that become available might be sucked up by units behind the lines rather than the front line units who need them.  It's probably a good idea to keep replacements off except for a few units that you want to get the lion's share of the replacements.  You may have to manually top up understrength rear area units as extra aircraft become available.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Rossj)
Post #: 2
RE: Average Repair Time and Replacements - 10/18/2009 3:03:22 PM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I think you mean the repair time for carrier planes is too high.  It's a bug which has been dealt with in patch 2.

Air units can only draw replacements every 7 days, so a unit in heavy combat may get diminished before being able to get more replacements.  Especially early in the war Allied units on the front lines were rarely at full strength for very long.

Good news Bill,
I was wondering if when all is said and done (and I'm talking 1-2 yrs down the track), if efforts won't be made to make such things modifiable via the editor (and others) ... Having said that, maybe could the replenishments be tweaked at Home bases ? just a thought.

--Damian--

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 3
RE: Average Repair Time and Replacements - 10/18/2009 3:53:39 PM   
Rossj

Repair time is too long/the repair rate is too low

I do not know how it will be addressed in patch #2, but in the real world, if I have 20 fighters down at the end of a day of combat operations, most of them will be up by next morning. The way it is now, you need to disengage for a month a more to build up your op numbers.

The issue I was addressing at PM is much like the CV fighter issue--it takes too long to repair fighters. It does not appear to me that the AI considers the canibalization effect. Perhaps this will be fixed in the patch as well.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Average Repair Time and Replacements Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI