Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Which Close Combat should I buy?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> Which Close Combat should I buy? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Which Close Combat should I buy? - 6/23/2011 10:40:26 PM   
magogian

Hello all,

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I thought I'd ask here. I played all the Close Combat games back in the day, and I would like to buy another. Which of these 4 updated CC games should I buy? Any recommendations?

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Which Close Combat should I buy? - 6/24/2011 12:40:22 AM   
knilli

Hi there,

my favorites are 'Cross of Iron' and the Arnhem one. With 'Cross of Iron' i love the Campaign mod, having some core units and take them with me. 'Market Garden' is/was fun. (If you aske me for a rating, I would rate Market Garden higher then CoI).
Having said this, in real life I am interested in the War in the East and in Market Garden. So my advice would be to go for the game/games which cover the area you are interested in.

(in reply to magogian)
Post #: 2
RE: Which Close Combat should I buy? - 6/24/2011 5:06:46 AM   
Tejszd

COI has lots of mods so you will get a ton of replay value.
TLD/WAR has more features than COI and if/when mods come out they should be available for both games.
LSA has the most features (love having two BG's on the same strat map area).

(in reply to knilli)
Post #: 3
RE: Which Close Combat should I buy? - 7/13/2011 1:53:10 AM   
hank

I have not done a thorough search on scenario's for this title but ...

... are there any Kursk, Kharkhov, Korsun, or Leningrad scenarios ... either in the stock game or add on's ?

thanks

(this appears to be the best ... most recent site for info)

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 4
RE: Which Close Combat should I buy? - 7/13/2011 2:01:35 AM   
Tejszd

COI has a few Eastern Front mods, here is a link to web page with most of the mods listed; http://closecombat.matrixgames.com/CoI/coimods.html

The other re-releases do not have much for mods yet....

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 5
RE: Which Close Combat should I buy? - 7/14/2011 11:57:32 PM   
hank

Well, I could not resist. I took the plunge. I'm the proud daddy of COI.

I played a couple of sce's last night. The interface is a bit different from WAR but not too much ... mostly graphics, colors, etc.

I know this probably sounds dumb but ... is the package I downloaded last night the latest version? I noticed I got a message to down load a beta patch with the same number after I registered it.

Also, not a grip ... just an obervation. I buy the boxed version ( I like having my disks ). But I download the game and the last two times I've had to Cancel out of the first download ... then restart the download. It works fine the second time. Obviously I got mine.

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 6
RE: Which Close Combat should I buy? - 7/16/2011 11:44:09 PM   
hank

... is the package I downloaded last night the latest version? I noticed I got a message to down load a beta patch with the same number after I registered it.

bump

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 7
RE: Which Close Combat should I buy? - 7/17/2011 9:05:04 PM   
hank

Seems as though I'm the only one playing this one.

One big observation. I've played 5 or 6 scenarios ... so there are many others I haven't.

But, I see no Off-board artillery barrage or air strike capabilities.

Are there none?

(WAR has them ... don't know about the others)

I thought the four titles basically had been updated to be similar. This is one thing that should be in all of the titles.

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 8
RE: Which Close Combat should I buy? - 7/17/2011 11:06:37 PM   
Tejszd

I don't think you can see the version number in COI, look at the exe for the latest v3.60 it should be dated April 5/2011.

You can not assign off board support in COI, but some scenarios have a bombardment right at the start.

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 9
RE: Which Close Combat should I buy? - 7/18/2011 2:48:13 PM   
hank

Thanks for the reply. I think I've confirmed I have the latest and greatest.

I hate to hear there's no artillery or air strike capabilities. Even though some scenarios should not have them available; the ability to add that to the scenarios that had long range artillery and air strikes historically should be allowed to.

That's too bad. I wish the developers would consider adding it to all three titles. (I don't know if TLD or LSA have it ... all I know is WAR does but COI doesn't)

That kind of knocks me down a notch on my overall opinion of COI.

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 10
RE: Which Close Combat should I buy? - 7/18/2011 5:12:14 PM   
Tejszd

TLD and LSA work the same as WAR with the player placing support on BG's at the start of each strategic turn; air, artillery/mortar and supply drops. Note: Artillery/mortar sometimes is limited to certain maps.

For COI;
- check the COI scenario editor to see if you can add/set a bombardment??? Haven't looked at it recently....
- for Air support some mods added a forward observer unit that "fires" an air strike, including the plane graphic, at the targeted enemy unit.

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 11
RE: Which Close Combat should I buy? - 7/18/2011 7:16:07 PM   
RD Oddball

quote:

ORIGINAL: hank

... is the package I downloaded last night the latest version? I noticed I got a message to down load a beta patch with the same number after I registered it.

bump

Hey Hank, have another look at your downloads section. The admins have remedied the situation and the download available to you should now be the mega update version that you were supposed to have access to.

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 12
RE: Which Close Combat should I buy? - 7/19/2011 12:49:25 AM   
hank

thanks for the info

my only gripe is that COI is the only game of the series that does not have in-game off-map artillery or air strikes. To me, it seems like a big omission.

Artillery on the eastern front was a big thing.

I just wish the developers would add this very important feature to COI. Its the only eastern front game of the series.

All of the other titles have off map arty and air strikes.

just another stinkin' opinion .. I know

(in reply to RD Oddball)
Post #: 13
RE: Which Close Combat should I buy? - 7/19/2011 3:35:30 PM   
RD Oddball

The campaign system in CoI was carried over from CC3 which was designed by Atomic. Although I too prefer the deeper campaign system of CC4+ (same system as you see in CCWaR, TLD and LSA) changing something like assigning of support would be a fairly significant change to the design of the game. It'd result in a very different game from the original. Both in function and design. There are a lot of fans of the CC3 campaign system which had to be respected and considered in deciding what changes to make for the rebuilds.

Thanks for making the suggestion. Perhaps creation of a version of CC3 within the CC4+ campaign system for fans of the CC4+ campaign system, like you and I, will be something we'll be able to consider for the future.

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 14
RE: Which Close Combat should I buy? - 7/19/2011 11:07:30 PM   
hank

thanks for the reply and explanation

I now see why. I guess my desire was to have a CC:WAR type of game for the eastern front. I enjoy COI. I just feel like something is missing. COI is the only CC game I'm aware of with Russian vs German combat.

Best regards

(in reply to RD Oddball)
Post #: 15
RE: Which Close Combat should I buy? - 7/20/2011 7:41:33 PM   
RD Oddball

Thanks for the feedback on CoI's design.

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 16
RE: Which Close Combat should I buy? - 7/21/2011 4:08:45 AM   
US Brake

Cross of Iron has many strong points to make it my favorite of the new releases. First, it is the best platform for playing h2h games on gameranger. It's stable with few disconnections or bugs when advancing in a campaign. This version has a user friendly scenario editor which gives you the ability to create your own custom scenarios historical or tournament style. In CoI you can play 1-15 day battles or the epic Grand Campaigns. You get to know your troops in CoI if they are lucky they could survive the full War. You have more realistic starting positions in CoI. You are not forced to deploy all 15 of your units in small corner of the map at the beginning of a battle. Also, you can fall back by fleeing into a map you just advanced from.

Cross of Iron does not have the strat layer like the newer CC versions. Many players hate the strat layer and think it was a big design error for the series ....more time playing Close Combat and less time playing RISK. CoI uses more small and medium size maps which some argue make for a better fight for both AI and h2h play. Big maps look great, but have a strong impact in gameplay especially when you still only have 15 units max.

CoI has HUNDREDS OF CUSTOM MAPS and many great mods that allow you to play WW1, alternate Eastern Front Mods, France vs Germany 1940, Finland, Real Romanians, Poland, Pacific, Western front June 44-May 45, and Vietnam. More mods are added regularly. In Cross of Iron you can use the scenario editor to create a barrage at the beginning of a battle to target 1-4 locations on a map. As far as airstrikes go, some mods have command units that use line of sight air observers. Other than the optional initial barrages, CoI is set up so that you have to kill using the units in the sandbox, no free arty and air strikes to depend on.

(in reply to RD Oddball)
Post #: 17
RE: Which Close Combat should I buy? - 7/21/2011 11:01:58 PM   
hank

Thanks US. You pointed out some things I didn't know. I'm definitely going to keep playing COI. I'm enjoying both WAR and COI. ... great games from both fronts

I just wish I had more time.

(in reply to US Brake)
Post #: 18
RE: Which Close Combat should I buy? - 7/21/2011 11:06:37 PM   
Andrew Williams

quote:

I just wish I had more time.

The CC players lament.

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 19
RE: Which Close Combat should I buy? - 7/26/2011 11:11:46 PM   
hank

thanks to all again ... I've been playing COI almost exclusively (WWII games that is) the last couple of weeks and I've grown to really enjoy it. I started a campaign and look forward to see how it goes. If I could eliminate my recent parallel fascination with another game, I'd have more time. But nonetheless, its a blast.

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 20
RE: Which Close Combat should I buy? - 7/27/2011 10:13:30 AM   
soldier1

COI also has the MMCCIII which adds that sort of strategic layer. I was playing the single player version quite a bit until i got panzer corp

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 21
RE: Which Close Combat should I buy? - 7/27/2011 5:52:25 PM   
Tejszd

Good comments/feedback US Brake!

(in reply to soldier1)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> Which Close Combat should I buy? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI