Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Introduction

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Introduction Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Introduction - 6/28/2002 11:58:44 PM   
OberstCrow

Gentlemen, (and considering some of the postings I have read, I am using that term as loosely as I do with the guys I regularly boardgame with) Hello.

I have been wargaming (board & computer) for almost 30 years, time flies when you are having fun. I find it amazing at times that I had time to find a wife and have two kids. My first wargame was AH's Luftwaffe, then moved on to the other AH classics. SPI was great, then along came the PC's and the new frontier that they opened up.

As for SP, I have SP 1-3 and when I finally hooked up to a cable modem I downloaded SPWAW 7.1. When I can sneak in the time, I attempt to figure out what is going on, still trying to get that combined-arms thing down. Sure is rough to see all those M4's burning!

As for my username, that was assigned to me by an ASL opponent when in four turns I wiped out his Soviet armor and rolled onto the steppes. Quite a melee, three Tigers and some support tanks against two dozen Soviet tanks. Amazing what a PzIII can do to a KV-1 when you are on the high ground and shooting down at the Russkies.

Time to go, hope to hear from the rest of you. I have already heard from goblin (when I was doing a little recon here) and chief (who is trying to help me with a problem in the canned Omaha and Utah beach scenarios).
Post #: 1
Welcome - 6/29/2002 1:08:41 AM   
Gary Tatro

Glad to have you aboard. Hope you have as much fun as the rest of us do here.

Few recommedations if you are getting tired of kicking the AI's A*s.

First the Mega-Campaigns are great if you like to see your units improve and historical accuraccy. The newer ones also have a ton of pics and documents about the battles. Really good stuff.

Lost Victories is mostly infantry, with some great tank battles.

North Africa is mostly tank battles from what I here. I just bought that one this week and have not played it yet. (Limited supply)

Lastly is Guadaul Canal, north Pacific. Don't know much about it.

They are cheep, at least to my standards. If you want to know what a good battle is like, go read my After Action Report(AAR) of Polotov Strikes in the Mega-Campaign Sub forums. I incorporated a bunch of screen pics into this one. A lot of people liked it. Let me know what you think after you read it. I like positive critisism also. Helps me make my AAR's better.

Also we have a very storng Play-By-Email (PBEM) community. With some very good people and some new people, so you can always find someone in your exp range.

"Are you going to do something or just stand there and bleed"

(in reply to OberstCrow)
Post #: 2
- 6/29/2002 3:51:32 AM   
Capt. Pixel

Welcome, OberstCrow. :D

Hope to see more of you in the forums soon. :cool:

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to OberstCrow)
Post #: 3
- 6/29/2002 4:13:49 AM   
Warrior

Welcome!

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to OberstCrow)
Post #: 4
Greetings Herr Oberst - 6/29/2002 5:35:29 AM   
Orzel Bialy

Welcome to the forum.

There is always a lot going on around here, hence all the sub-forums. So you can always find something interesting to read, chime in on or participate in.
With the wealth of information available here...there is a good chance you can find answers to questions...or in your case, with 30 years under your belt...post answers to questions that others put forth! ;)
So welcome once more...maybe we'll see each other in the PBem forum one day!

(in reply to OberstCrow)
Post #: 5
- 6/29/2002 11:31:59 AM   
OberstCrow

I hope so, I am starting to get anxious to try out my "skills" against others on-line. Never have done that before, always FTF, which is difficult to do in the middle of fly-over country.

(in reply to OberstCrow)
Post #: 6
- 7/2/2002 4:14:43 PM   
smaggiotto

OberstCrow,
Has it been that long? I remember fondly planning the penetration routes for my bomber groups, deciding how much air cover might be needed and catching my brother off-guard as my sorties took out his oil reserves, one after the other. We regale our kids today about those AH Luftwaffe battles. I always thought the PC might catch up with this game but despite some valiant attempts at like-minded theater play (Battle of Britain, etc.) nothing has ever come close to the tension of Luftwaffe. Despite the tendency for counters to fall over, having to pick them up to deduct fallen squadrons and hiding my sortie maps from spies (I designed dozens of sortie maps to keep my brother guessing), I'd say that classic boardgame has yet to be beat.

(in reply to OberstCrow)
Post #: 7
Welcome Aboard - 7/4/2002 6:29:40 AM   
PrivateArg

HI! I'm new on this forums and in SPWAW too, so what can I say?
I'm from Buenos Aires - Argentina, and I'm still learning a lot from this game....
I like to read a lot about military, wars and all related stuff (I have a good library here at my home about that) and I think that SPWAW is the natural evolution from board games and for the people who, like us, really likes everything realted with war, historical battles, etc.-
Welll, that's for me... WELCOME ABOARD, and I hope to learn a lot...
Thanks a lot everybody!!!

PD: My name is just an invention of myself: Private because I'm new (now I think it would be better "Recruit", but... what's don is done :) ) and ARG for the three first letters of my Country's name.-
OK, again thanks a lot and have fun!!!

PrivateARG

Private 1st Class ARG

(in reply to OberstCrow)
Post #: 8
Welcome Aboard - 7/4/2002 12:17:30 PM   
chief

Pvt Arg: Welcome to the forum and SPwaw. I trust you'll be as happy here as most of us are. When you get addicted to SPwaw they tell me there's a 12 step program to help you come back to the real world. Get your coffee, peanuts, beer and kiss the kids and wife goodbye, if applicable. because she won't see you except when you stop to download another scenario or mini campaign.:) ;) :cool:

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to OberstCrow)
Post #: 9
- 7/4/2002 12:22:21 PM   
Goblin

OC, welcome again!

Pvt Arg, welcome!

Glad to have you both manning the guns with us!

(in reply to OberstCrow)
Post #: 10
- 7/4/2002 12:59:57 PM   
Hades

Welcome to all the new people. Happy hunting. Someone kill Goblin for me.

"History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave."
-Edmund Morris

[img]http://members.hometown.aol.com/guarana861512/myhomepage/russiankatkillers.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]
[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/kenkbaran/images/spwaw-virtual-b-o-b

(in reply to OberstCrow)
Post #: 11
- 7/4/2002 1:13:16 PM   
Goblin

:eek:

(in reply to OberstCrow)
Post #: 12
Another newcomer - 7/5/2002 1:12:56 AM   
Curieus

Curieus picks something up and hands it to the previous poster, saying: I think you dropped this: ---- Goblin - A goblin is flabbergasted :eek: After delivering the found object he turns around to the audience. "Well since this is an 'introduce yourself' thread, i will just do that. I'm from The Netherlands, that country that one a fateful month of may accidentally destroyed hundreds of JU 52s and got 5 years of hard labour in return ;) The name? Oh that is a play of words in dutch, it can mean both 'inquisitive' and 'strange'/'funny' (like in 'Hey, thats strange!') Thank you. The otherwise non-descript figure takes a bow and leaves the stage

(in reply to OberstCrow)
Post #: 13
- 7/5/2002 1:21:41 AM   
chief

In the US we say "curious" and it means the same thing. Welcome to the forum.:) :cool:

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to OberstCrow)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Introduction Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI