Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Widescreen resolution?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Widescreen resolution? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Widescreen resolution? - 12/29/2021 10:53:18 PM   
Lynn_slith

Hello all. I just purchased the game and wanted to know if there is a particular widescreen resolution that works best for this game.

Thank you
Post #: 1
RE: Widescreen resolution? - 12/29/2021 11:19:51 PM   
Nomad

This will sound like a wise ass answer, but the resolution that fits your monitors resolution will be a good place to start.

< Message edited by Nomad -- 12/29/2021 11:20:19 PM >

(in reply to Lynn_slith)
Post #: 2
RE: Widescreen resolution? - 12/29/2021 11:52:11 PM   
Kull

It depends on your visual acuity and comfort level with text and icon sizes. As an example, my 15" laptop monitor is set to 1920x1080 and the game operates in a somewhat smaller window. That allows me to easily read everything and while there's still a fair amount of scrolling to move across the map, it's not excessive. But to Nomad's point, my monitor *could* operate at 3840x2160. Without too many gyrations, I can modify my switches to run the game in a 2560x2048 window. Opening a save game with those settings results in the screenshot appended below. A HUGE amount of map is now visible, but the disconnect between physical monitor size and potential game window is just too extreme.

Anyway, that's the trade-off you'll have to explore.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lynn_slith)
Post #: 3
RE: Widescreen resolution? - 12/30/2021 7:53:58 AM   
Chris21wen

Not to mention your eye sight. Doesn't matter how high your computer res can go if you can't read it, it's pointless as it the scrren shot above.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 4
RE: Widescreen resolution? - 12/30/2021 2:50:16 PM   
Lynn_slith

Thank you. Yes, your answer is what I was looking for. If I use my recommended screen resolution setting, everything is very small and almost unreadable. I was looking for a resolution 'sweet spot' that most players agreed on and I will start by using your setting.

Thank you

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 5
RE: Widescreen resolution? - 12/30/2021 3:01:53 PM   
Zovs

As others have already posted, it's a personal thing. For me I used Sea Bee and my 'sweet spot' for my old eyes and comfort is:

Native Windows screen resolution:

3840 x 2160

WITP-AE settings (used Sea Bee and several testing's):

-pxf1920 -pyf1000

I have a HD 4k Monitor and those two settings allow the game to (in Windows mode, can't get full screen to work, I got a weird Windows PC-I use a VM) just fit full screen and is quite readable for me.

Please forgive the grainy image, I have to scale the images from my screenshots because my 4k monitor makes very large screenshots if I don't and you would have to scroll horizontal & vertical to see...in reality there is no graininess at all

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to Lynn_slith)
Post #: 6
RE: Widescreen resolution? - 12/30/2021 3:55:24 PM   
rogueusmc

I use a 49" 4k TV as my primary monitor with 2 21" lenovo monitors for spreadsheets and such.

I went into the display settings and clicked to adjust the 'text and font size'up. Then adjusted the px- and py- numbers in the command line to take up the vertical space staying in the 16:9 ratio and it has worked well. If you set the switches first, then adjusting font size makes the whole window bigger.

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 7
RE: Widescreen resolution? - 12/30/2021 6:48:38 PM   
Lynn_slith

Thank you, I will try your settings as well.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 8
RE: Widescreen resolution? - 12/30/2021 9:06:30 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogueusmc

I use a 49" 4k TV as my primary monitor with 2 21" lenovo monitors for spreadsheets and such.

I went into the display settings and clicked to adjust the 'text and font size'up. Then adjusted the px- and py- numbers in the command line to take up the vertical space staying in the 16:9 ratio and it has worked well. If you set the switches first, then adjusting font size makes the whole window bigger.

This is the first I have heard of being able to increase the text size in this game without lowering the resolution. So you did that through the video card software or Windows settings? Control Panel? Desktop left click?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 9
RE: Widescreen resolution? - 12/30/2021 9:54:08 PM   
rogueusmc

Desktop left click.
If you set it at, say, 125%. It makes the whole window bigger including the text but the resolution is better than making your screen resolution smaller.

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 10
RE: Widescreen resolution? - 12/31/2021 3:04:59 AM   
Nomad

quote:

Desktop left click.
If you set it at, say, 125%. It makes the whole window bigger including the text but the resolution is better than making your screen resolution smaller.

Actually, it should be a right click.

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 11
RE: Widescreen resolution? - 12/31/2021 6:29:47 PM   
rogueusmc

Sorry, yes, a right click. I was on my phone and I hate typing on my phone...lol.

My native display resolution is 3840x2160. I am running that with 125% on the 'Scale and Layout' options. My switches are -w -pxf2651 -pyf1660 -altFont . The 'Scale and Layout' will scale the px and py parameters up proportionally.

I am happy with it and it lets me sit back comfortably in my office chair with my cordless thumb ball mouse and the keyboard within reach.

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 12
RE: Widescreen resolution? - 12/31/2021 6:41:28 PM   
orabera

I need to get a pair of 4k monitors.

"As god as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 13
RE: Widescreen resolution? - 12/31/2021 8:25:50 PM   
rockmedic109

My laptop {17"} has a 4k monitor but everything is far too small for AE, I run at 1440x900 I think it is. My eyesight is is going bad or maybe I've just played at a low res for so long that I cannot play any other way.

(in reply to orabera)
Post #: 14
RE: Widescreen resolution? - 1/1/2022 6:51:29 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

quote:

Desktop left click.

Problem with that is it affects evrything not just AE.

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 15
RE: Widescreen resolution? - 1/1/2022 7:16:06 AM   
Nomad

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

quote:

Desktop left click.

Problem with that is it affects evrything not just AE.

Unless you select 125% and then start AE and change it back to 100% when you exit AE.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 16
RE: Widescreen resolution? - 1/1/2022 7:42:28 PM   
LowesyPC

I am sure the others have answered your question, but I find 1920x1080 as about as small as I can get away with. The font as far as I am aware cannot be resized and that is a major limit on the overall size of the screen

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 17
RE: Widescreen resolution? - 1/1/2022 8:13:45 PM   
orabera

quote:

ORIGINAL: LowesyPC

I am sure the others have answered your question, but I find 1920x1080 as about as small as I can get away with. The font as far as I am aware cannot be resized and that is a major limit on the overall size of the screen

Unfortunately this is the biggest thing they can't fix with the new beta.

"As god as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

(in reply to LowesyPC)
Post #: 18
RE: Widescreen resolution? - 1/2/2022 7:04:48 AM   
Chris21wen

The -altFont switch does improve things slightly but as windows don't resize with the slighly enlarged font you sometimes have text overwriting bits of the window. For me the altFont is essential.

(in reply to LowesyPC)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Widescreen resolution? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI