Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Resort Bases - How Far Is Too Far?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Resort Bases - How Far Is Too Far? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Resort Bases - How Far Is Too Far? - 3/27/2010 3:04:40 PM   
tgb

I understand that resort bases only generate income if there is a colony "nearby", but what does that mean, exactly? Same system? Same sector? How far is the population willing to travel to go on vacation?

In my current game I've discovered two pretty goo scenic locations, but they are a sector or two away from the closest colony. Is it worth building?
Post #: 1
RE: Resort Bases - How Far Is Too Far? - 3/27/2010 3:10:16 PM   
x2yzh9

I think it means rather that you will get SOME tourists, but definitely not as many as you would get if there was a colony nearby.

(in reply to tgb)
Post #: 2
RE: Resort Bases - How Far Is Too Far? - 4/3/2010 4:16:00 AM   
Grotius

I'm confused about resort bases. I see one "scenery" site that's a black hole. Where would I build a resort base? On some planet/system near it? Is a resort base a starbase or a planetside thing, anyway?

Likewise, I see a "scenery" site that's an asteroid. I can see it on the "galaxy" minimap using the filter -- but I can't find it when I return to the main map. I guess it's just a notional asteroid orbiting the star in question? I see no planets in this system. Again, what do I do -- build a resort in a nearby system? Presumably at or near one of my colonies?

(in reply to x2yzh9)
Post #: 3
RE: Resort Bases - How Far Is Too Far? - 4/3/2010 8:23:56 AM   
forsaken1111

On my current game as the space bunnies (Teekan) I'm making a load of cash building unarmed resort bases near OTHER empires' colonies. Hehehe

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 4
RE: Resort Bases - How Far Is Too Far? - 4/3/2010 12:32:04 PM   
Webbco

Grotius, the black hole has an accretion disc (the purple bit). If you build a resort base just outside here, it will do it's job (the same with research bases too, to get a research bonus).

If you start to build inside the disc, or move any ships inside this 'area of no return' you will have to say bye bye to it

As long as it's close to the black hole and not inside the disc, you're safe.

The best way to go to an asteroid you have found that has resort base potential is to click on it in the galaxy map (F5) once you have filtered "scenic locations" in the drop down menu.

Then click the "go to selected item" button. You might need to zoom in on the asteroid, but it's there

Alternatively, select it in the normal galaxy view, and right-click it to get it to the centre of the screen, then zoom in.

< Message edited by Webbco -- 4/3/2010 12:33:30 PM >

(in reply to forsaken1111)
Post #: 5
RE: Resort Bases - How Far Is Too Far? - 4/3/2010 3:25:27 PM   
Grotius

Thanks, Webbco. I've tried a dozen times to find this pesky little asteroid. I click on the galaxy map (the yellow dot that appears when I choose the "scenic locations" filter), and that brings me not to the asteroid, but to the star the asteroid orbits. I then zoom in/around the store, and I can't find the asteroid. I guess I just need to look harder?

Also, can we build more than one resort base at an attraction? For that matter, can I build more than one research lab at a black hole, with each lab doing different specialties? If so, why would I ever choose to research at an anomaly with a smaller research percentage?

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 6
RE: Resort Bases - How Far Is Too Far? - 4/3/2010 3:38:06 PM   
Resan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius
...Also, can we build more than one resort base at an attraction? For that matter, can I build more than one research lab at a black hole, with each lab doing different specialties? If so, why would I ever choose to research at an anomaly with a smaller research percentage?

You can with research, not sure about resorts.

So you don't have all your research in one place. Would be a bitch if you lost that system. And if you first find a smaller % bonus, why demolish the base? It's not like it's going to wast.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 7
RE: Resort Bases - How Far Is Too Far? - 4/3/2010 4:03:49 PM   
Tree Dog

quote:

Thanks, Webbco. I've tried a dozen times to find this pesky little asteroid. I click on the galaxy map (the yellow dot that appears when I choose the "scenic locations" filter), and that brings me not to the asteroid, but to the star the asteroid orbits. I then zoom in/around the store, and I can't find the asteroid. I guess I just need to look harder?

Asteroids and asteroids field are very dark grey on the solar system map, rather hard to find, especially if you're looking for just one isolated asteroid.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 8
RE: Resort Bases - How Far Is Too Far? - 4/3/2010 4:54:59 PM   
idgar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tree Dog

quote:

Asteroids and asteroids field are very dark grey on the solar system map, rather hard to find, especially if you're looking for just one isolated asteroid.

Just click the "zoom to 100%" button next to the mini map (hotkey: home) after the "Go to item location" button. I think the scenic asteroids always stand out as large blue or yellow asteroids in the field. Some fields have several colored asteroids but only one of them will have a special name, which is the name displayed in the galaxy map screen when you select the location.

< Message edited by idgar -- 4/3/2010 5:00:17 PM >

(in reply to Tree Dog)
Post #: 9
RE: Resort Bases - How Far Is Too Far? - 4/4/2010 7:35:34 AM   
Gertjan

Good tip Idgar!

(in reply to idgar)
Post #: 10
RE: Resort Bases - How Far Is Too Far? - 4/4/2010 3:41:49 PM   
Grotius

Ah, I'll try that. Thanks!

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 11
RE: Resort Bases - How Far Is Too Far? - 4/4/2010 7:04:16 PM   
forsaken1111

the "Home" key also zooms to 100%. It's a handy shortcut key. Delete I believe takes you to sector level zoom and End takes you all the way out.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Resort Bases - How Far Is Too Far? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI