Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Unwanted Flashing Lights, Possible Cure!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Unwanted Flashing Lights, Possible Cure! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unwanted Flashing Lights, Possible Cure! - 1/4/2011 12:02:30 AM   
WoodMan

Hey all,

Other modders and I have experienced random flashing lights on ships where they are not meant to be. It's extremely annoying.

The ship below had unwanted flashing lights all over it, they are only supposed to appear where you place a pure yellow pixel, but sometimes the randomly appear elsewhere for no reason whatsoever. This particular ship had 6 extra flashing lights on it around the front end.

I took the ship and added a black background (create a new layer in your paint program, Photoshop or Gimp probably required) and fill it black. Then save your ship as a 32bit .bmp file instead of a .png

The result is that only two lights now show on the ship, exactly in the two spots they are meant to. The picture below is using a .bmp file instead of a png and it appears to function and look fine in the game.

Attachment (1)

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
Post #: 1
RE: Unwanted Flashing Lights, Possible Cure! - 1/4/2011 12:06:00 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: WoodMan

Hey all,

Other modders and I have experienced random flashing lights on ships where they are not meant to be. It's extremely annoying.

The ship below had unwanted flashing lights all over it, they are only supposed to appear where you place a pure yellow pixel, but sometimes the randomly appear elsewhere for no reason whatsoever. This particular ship had 6 extra flashing lights on it around the front end.

I took the ship and added a black background (create a new layer in your paint program, Photoshop or Gimp probably required) and fill it black. Then save your ship as a 32bit .bmp file instead of a .png

The result is that only two lights now show on the ship, exactly in the two spots they are meant to. The picture below is using a .bmp file instead of a png and it appears to function and look fine in the game.

I'm guessing that it treats the solid black as an alpha channel transperancy...much like a 3d transparency map treats pure black (0,0,0) as a transparent surface.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 2
RE: Unwanted Flashing Lights, Possible Cure! - 1/4/2011 12:45:48 AM   
Igard

Awesome, I'll try this next time I get the problem.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 3
RE: Unwanted Flashing Lights, Possible Cure! - 1/4/2011 1:58:56 AM   
Setekh

Sweet, nice discovery!
I had some ships in my HW2 set that phantom lights appearing on them. I managed to fix them but it took much longer to figure out.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Unwanted Flashing Lights, Possible Cure! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI