Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What does Culture do?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> What does Culture do? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What does Culture do? - 4/7/2010 5:44:18 AM   
HsojVvad

I see in the planetary screen that has Culture. What does it do? What do these numbers mean? I never noticed it before. In my game, my home planet at the start of the game, has a culture of 99. So what does it mean? What do I do with it? Should I be leary of it? How do I make it better? Where can I read up on it? I don't remember reading anything in the manual about it, and I can't see anything in the Galactopedia about it.

Any help would be greatly apreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: What does Culture do? - 4/7/2010 10:52:12 AM   
jnpoint

I think, that if two empires build in the same star-system, then the colony with the highest culture will stay in the empire, and the other colony will swap over to the other empire? - hope you understand. But I'm not sure. Culture seems for me to play a too small role, anyway. But others are maybe better to explain than I am.

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 2
RE: What does Culture do? - 4/7/2010 11:48:29 AM   
alexalexuk

higher culture makes your people alot happier, and thus it allows you to tax them more heavily,

gaining culture comes through collecting luxury goods via mines / other races etc ....

the manual has alot on this...

EDIT: culture is very very important in the game and should never be underestimated. low culture brings unhappiness, and cases planets to rebel, and then become independant.

< Message edited by alexalexuk -- 4/7/2010 11:49:00 AM >

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 3
RE: What does Culture do? - 4/7/2010 12:00:37 PM   
OberonDark

So culture is the same thing as development?

(in reply to alexalexuk)
Post #: 4
RE: What does Culture do? - 4/7/2010 12:13:13 PM   
Tree Dog

quote:

ORIGINAL: OberonDark

Yup.

(in reply to OberonDark)
Post #: 5
RE: What does Culture do? - 4/7/2010 1:29:22 PM   
Gertjan

Good to know, why don't they call it the same then, makes it much easier for new (and even relatively experienced) players. Can Erik or Elliot, please confirm that it is indeed the same?

(in reply to Tree Dog)
Post #: 6
RE: What does Culture do? - 4/7/2010 1:35:24 PM   
HsojVvad

quote:

ORIGINAL: alexalexuk

higher culture makes your people alot happier, and thus it allows you to tax them more heavily,

gaining culture comes through collecting luxury goods via mines / other races etc ....

the manual has alot on this...

EDIT: culture is very very important in the game and should never be underestimated. low culture brings unhappiness, and cases planets to rebel, and then become independant.

If you don't mind, do you know what page this is on in the manual? I am not feeling good and it's been a good 12 hours since I played DW. So no DW for me for now, and I am afraid I missed it in the manual.

*edit* I went through the manual and I havn't seen it. I tried looking for it. I know I am blind most of the time, so being blind and sick and I just can't find it. Please tell me the page number.

< Message edited by Davor -- 4/7/2010 1:39:15 PM >

(in reply to alexalexuk)
Post #: 7
RE: What does Culture do? - 4/7/2010 1:36:13 PM   
Wade1000

I think that because culture is the part of development that affects other empire colony flips that it is called "culture".

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 8
RE: What does Culture do? - 4/7/2010 1:41:12 PM   
HsojVvad

So is there anything in the star bases that we can make our planets to have better culture then?

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 9
RE: What does Culture do? - 4/7/2010 3:46:49 PM   
alexalexuk

i think there is a few modules that could help, although im not sure, can anyone shed light on this?

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 10
RE: What does Culture do? - 4/7/2010 4:00:00 PM   
lordxorn

Per the Galactopaedia Rec Centers and Med Centers can help keep your citizens happy. More happiness more tax revenue.

I just wanted to add that more tax revenue doesn't mean higher taxes. The best indicator to use to adjust taxes, is the "Your citizens are happy about the current taxes +12%" as long as you have a positive number you could adjust taxes higher. The higher culture also means a higher multiplier for tax revenue.

< Message edited by lordxorn -- 4/7/2010 4:04:03 PM >

(in reply to alexalexuk)
Post #: 11
RE: What does Culture do? - 4/7/2010 9:19:20 PM   
Gertjan

Still confused, so culture and development are the same thing?

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 12
RE: What does Culture do? - 4/7/2010 9:28:08 PM   
Tree Dog

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gertjan

Still confused, so culture and development are the same thing?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tree Dog

quote:

ORIGINAL: OberonDark

Yup.

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 13
RE: What does Culture do? - 4/7/2010 9:41:19 PM   
mattman

Culture, once it moves in, irresistibly causes other cultures to join its high-tech, anarcho-hedonist society. When it moves in, you start seeing gigantic habitat rings go up and also enormous planetoid-sized spacecraft getingt built that can crack planets open with unimaginable weaponry. I could also mention their fearsome Minds (with a capital M of course)...

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Iain Banks fan here :)

(in reply to Tree Dog)
Post #: 14
RE: What does Culture do? - 4/7/2010 10:04:59 PM   
Gertjan

Cool. I read one novel so far, but I want to read more! This game is keeping me from reading more scifi.

(in reply to mattman)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> What does Culture do? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI