Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Issues with PRIVATE ships

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Issues with PRIVATE ships Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Issues with PRIVATE ships - 4/14/2010 5:43:36 AM   
Interesting

Im having some hard times with the PRIVATE.

Stuff I dont like:
AI dont using all the freighters cargo. Waste of cargo components.
Not being able to tell the miners where to mine.
Not being able to tell them not to build miners.
Not being able to retrofit mining stations.
Not being able to retrofit private ships.
Not being able to tell the AI to start bringing people to my resorts.
Not being able to tell the AI to bring fuel where its needed. (research station near black hole had fuel, untill a ship refueled on it, and then the research got crippled, forever... and no freighter went there to refuel it, none of the over a hundred freighters.)
Not being able to change private ships combat strategy on the go. Its a pain to watch them do a bee line for the space creatures mouth.
Not being able to tell them to stop wasting money, or not being able to tell them to start wasting the money.
Not being able to tell passenger ships where to get people and where to take them.
Not being able to tell freighters wich luxuries, how much of each and where to take them.
Not being able to tell private to build more passanger ships.
Private ships entering enemy territory and getting annoying messages as if they were military.
Not being able to check easily what the Private ships are doing, why they are doing it, for how long will they do it, etc.

I started a new game days ago, with 1400 stars, teeming independent alien, starting galaxy, unstable ai agressio, very slow research, many space creatures, many pirates, home system harsh, size starting, tech level basic, human democracy and 19 aliens, one of each race, with harsh system, starting size and basic tech.

Just got to the point where I have more Colonies and revenue than I need (around 1000K GDP) and Private ships/bases are using just 30-40K GDP. I cant upgrade the existing ones, neither the stations. Neither can I destroy the olds ones. Neither can I tell what and how many should they build... I dont want to upgrade the design and still have old stuff running around with Maxos Blasters with 190 range.

< Message edited by Interesting -- 4/14/2010 5:45:05 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Issues with PRIVATE ships - 4/14/2010 6:08:41 AM   
2ndACR

Arming your private ships will get the "military" warning every time.

You can tell your miners where to mine, you will just have to manually do it. I build mines all the time manually. I always keep 2-3 construction ships under my control at all times.

Your base will be refueled, but it will take time. I have had research bases sucked dry, but they always reload some time.

I would love some more control over the civilian shipping per some of your above, but not nearly as much as you want. LOL
My resorts get visitors, slowly and usually after my colonies are at a certain level do I see them really getting used. Especially if the resort is near another empire.

(in reply to Interesting)
Post #: 2
RE: Issues with PRIVATE ships - 4/14/2010 7:04:14 AM   
Malevolence

I've found that private ships upgrade themselves very soon after upgrading their design.

From my point of view, not necessarily yours, I don't want to manage all those ships. Particularly on the largest maps. What I would like to do, however, is actually be able to give strategic and operational level guidance... at least when my government type clearly has a controlled economy. Things like directing the space lane flow, so that ships generally stay on specified routes. Also something like setting a priorities in space ports for fuel and other materials, etc. Also specifying spaceports for trade with other empires and their use for re-fueling.

My frustration, sometimes, is that while I am fine with taking out the micro-management, I'm looking for the needed macro-management and decision support.

Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 3
RE: Issues with PRIVATE ships - 4/14/2010 7:10:24 AM   
Xenoform21

I would have to disagree with your philosophy of wanting control over the private sector of the game. The purpose of DW IMHO is not to inundate you with the complexities of moving cargo around and retrofitting every damned ship and base that you have ( Which could still be improved ).

DW is about the 4x gameplay, Exploration, Expansion, Exploitation, Extermination. I would contest that having the user directly control the aspects of the private sector would turn the game into an economic simulation for the 28th century, and the other elements which need work would be left at the wayside.

I would personally prefer to see more work done on making the Ai do these things intelligently, so I can let the Traders and Space cowboys deal with where that load of immigrant Securians are going, I'll make sure that there aren't any pirates to blow them up along the way.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 4
RE: Issues with PRIVATE ships - 4/14/2010 8:15:58 AM   
Fishman

Personally, I am fine with the private sector doing its thing without any intervention from me, but occasionally, there are things I need done specifically, and it would be nice to be to perform some of these in an emergency, like pick up cargo on a ship with cargo bays and drop it someplace else in advance, when I am planning to do something unexpected and yesterday. I mean, obviously, it is unreasonable for the game to be able to anticipate the fact that you want a bajillion tons of whatzit delivered to a place that doesn't appear to need it, in advance, because you plan to start a major construction project, but it would be NICE to be able to transfer cargo manually, as construction ships and other such craft are often quite lazy about loading up with necessary supplies despite being given large cargo bays.

< Message edited by Fishman -- 4/14/2010 8:16:37 AM >

(in reply to Xenoform21)
Post #: 5
RE: Issues with PRIVATE ships - 4/14/2010 12:35:39 PM   
Flaviusx

I can't imagine anything more tedious than trying to manage the private sector in addition to everything else.

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 6
RE: Issues with PRIVATE ships - 4/14/2010 1:05:45 PM   
korenzel

I also wish for an optional limited control of freight transport. I don't want to manage all of it, especially when empires span hundreds of colonies, but being able to send supplies where its needed and compensate for any AI shortcoming (instead of trying to fix it) would be most welcome.

If not direct control of a freighter, at least give the player a way to influence the private sector's behavior, especially when it's being stupid, like with super rare resources allocation.

As with the rest of the game, you could just leave it to the automation, but some of us actually like to get into the little details of supply lines, just as others like to set tax rates manually, design ships or control every single military unit.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 7
RE: Issues with PRIVATE ships - 4/14/2010 1:22:23 PM   
Fishman

I don't think control of freight transport itself is needed, I just think it would be nice to be able to perform manual cargo loading on ships that have cargo bays. As it stands, cargo-loading on ships that consume cargo is not forward-thinking enough, and ships can end up with clogged cargo bays or empty cargo bays that fail to contain the supplies they need as a result, with the private sector not doing anything about it because it's mostly a state problem. For instance, if I want to build two stations, a constructor ship may fail to load sufficient supplies to actually accomplish this task, despite having plenty of space, simply because the computer has no way of forseeing that I wish to build a second station after the first one.

(in reply to korenzel)
Post #: 8
RE: Issues with PRIVATE ships - 4/14/2010 2:00:12 PM   
Joram

Like the rest, I have no desire to micromanage the private economy.  There are really only two things that I've noticed that bug me.  The inability to scrap my own private vessels.  I hate the constant whining when one gets damaged and keeps asking for repairs.  I just want to go and scrap it.  The other is not being able to declare systems out of bounds.  This is necessitated by the fact that the AI somehow quickly forgets that there are monsters or other hazards in an area and keeps sending ships to get gobbled up.  Annoying.

Regarding directing them to specific resources, I would think the price of the good should be influential enough but perhaps they don't take that into consideration?  I guess I haven't had any resource issues to notice.  But regardless, it would be interesting to be able to put a bonus on a resource to help influence where the private sector goes.

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 9
RE: Issues with PRIVATE ships - 4/14/2010 2:06:12 PM   
Fishman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joram

Regarding directing them to specific resources, I would think the price of the good should be influential enough but perhaps they don't take that into consideration? I guess I haven't had any resource issues to notice. But regardless, it would be interesting to be able to put a bonus on a resource to help influence where the private sector goes.
Given that the price of a good is "Galactic" and therefore has nearly no relationship to your own actual needs, as gluts and shortages on the other side of the galaxy have no real relevance to anything YOU care about, and the fact that strategic concerns tend to run independently of any actual pricing schemes, resource prices don't really mean much. If anything, a picture that runs purely on resource price is counterproductive. Picture a critical commodity that has a single point of origin. You need this commodity everywhere, so naturally, you produce heavily. As a result of the large supply generated, the price plummets, and the good becomes cheap. No one thus moves the good and it piles up on the docks where it was made, which is entirely counterproductive.

The problem here is that the "price" of a commodity is "global", whereas in the real world, prices of commodities are localized, and places where they are short in supply have higher prices, causing goods to move there until the shortage is eliminated as the price settles back towards the "global" average, while places where they are glutted have the goods available cheap, and thus the free market causes goods to flow from localities in which they are plentiful to places where they are scarce. In DW, this does not happen because there is apparently only a single local price, and it is unclear when that price is ever actually paid by anyone unless you are building a ship out of it!

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 10
RE: Issues with PRIVATE ships - 4/14/2010 6:09:14 PM   
Joram

Well, good points but my main desire is some way to influence them without having to control them.  But I hear you, the price bonus wouldn't work under the current system.

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 11
RE: Issues with PRIVATE ships - 4/14/2010 6:14:31 PM   
Fishman

Well, for the MOST part, they do their jobs, but sometimes you just want something that no AI can ever anticipate or fulfill, and thus some means of doing it manually, outside of the Private system, is needed.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 12
RE: Issues with PRIVATE ships - 4/14/2010 7:06:29 PM   
Malevolence

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fishman

Given that the price of a good is "Galactic" and therefore has nearly no relationship to your own actual needs, as gluts and shortages on the other side of the galaxy have no real relevance to anything YOU care about, and the fact that strategic concerns tend to run independently of any actual pricing schemes, resource prices don't really mean much. If anything, a picture that runs purely on resource price is counterproductive. Picture a critical commodity that has a single point of origin. You need this commodity everywhere, so naturally, you produce heavily. As a result of the large supply generated, the price plummets, and the good becomes cheap. No one thus moves the good and it piles up on the docks where it was made, which is entirely counterproductive.

The problem here is that the "price" of a commodity is "global", whereas in the real world, prices of commodities are localized, and places where they are short in supply have higher prices, causing goods to move there until the shortage is eliminated as the price settles back towards the "global" average, while places where they are glutted have the goods available cheap, and thus the free market causes goods to flow from localities in which they are plentiful to places where they are scarce. In DW, this does not happen because there is apparently only a single local price, and it is unclear when that price is ever actually paid by anyone unless you are building a ship out of it!

Indeed, well said. I doubt we want processor power devoted to this each tick, however, given everything else.

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 13
RE: Issues with PRIVATE ships - 4/14/2010 7:15:21 PM   
Fishman

Actually, that would probably involve less processor than you'd think. I mean, this is what determines the behavior of ships in Space Rangers. But there is something massively inefficient about how DW is handling things. Massive quantities of RAMs are consumed by the universe, which does not seem to make much sense given that there is simply not that much data in the game that we can see, especially given how simple a DW colony appears to be: Population, development level. I remember a small "MMO" game where there were literally THOUSANDS of colonies, that I, personally, owned myself, and yet that game did not implode in a gigantic memory-consuming explosion of doom when the galaxy went from unpopulated tracts of barren wasteland to a populated galaxy consisting of thousands of colonized worlds, each with 120 manually placed turrets defending them. We're talking thousands of colonies with far more detail than any DW colony, and millions of units, albeit very simple ones, and the game didn't choke like DW.

(in reply to Malevolence)
Post #: 14
RE: Issues with PRIVATE ships - 4/14/2010 7:22:42 PM   
Malevolence

Did they make an English version? Sounds interesting.

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 15
RE: Issues with PRIVATE ships - 4/14/2010 8:00:36 PM   
Ranbir

Of Space Rangers? Yes they did. You can get Space Rangers 2+Reboot expansion from Impulse or Steam or some other store I'm not aware of yet. I got it from Impulse. Great game, it could possibly ruin rpgs for you with their static worlds that have a narratives on war (because all of a sudden you'll notice the gameworld is still so the story loses any urgency of emotional investment) Some guy did a review here.

Back on the subject of private ships, I disagree with a lot on that list, mostly in particular:
Not being able to tell them to stop wasting money, or not being able to tell them to start wasting the money.
Not being able to tell passenger ships where to get people and where to take them.
Not being able to tell freighters wich luxuries, how much of each and where to take them.

They're the private sector and government intervention is unwanted!

What I DO agree with is that the State controllers of the AI empires should not acknowledge the private sector as state property (like they do if they see an armed private ship, or other private sector behaviour)

Post #: 16
RE: Issues with PRIVATE ships - 4/14/2010 8:43:43 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: FishmanBut there is something massively inefficient about how DW is handling things. Massive quantities of RAMs are consumed by the universe, which does not seem to make much sense given that there is simply not that much data in the game that we can see, especially given how simple a DW colony appears to be: Population, development level.

I think you are significantly underestimating what DW is actually having to track and save at any given time in a large galaxy.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 17
RE: Issues with PRIVATE ships - 4/14/2010 9:22:22 PM   
Fishman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I think you are significantly underestimating what DW is actually having to track and save at any given time in a large galaxy.
So what all is it tracking? You've got a galaxy maybe only 10x the size of SEV's, but runs comfortably and never at any point threatens to blow out your RAM, even if you multiply by a factor of 10. A SEV save writes nearly instantly and spits out about 3 MBs of data. SEV planets and systems have a level of complexity comparable to that of DW's, if not more so: SEV planets can contain individual ground units and turrets that are hand-designed whereas a DW ground unit is simply a few numbers, probably ints, 4 bytes apieces. DW planets are just a population, a planetary type, and an broad environmental classification. It is safe to say that by any reasonable standard, a DW planet and colony is uncomplicated and far simpler than what you might encounter in any other game. A DW ship is not more complex than a SEV ship: Both are essentially lists of predefined components with damage values. In fact, SEV ships have far more attributes than any DW ship...but all these are just numerical values, small change. A thousand 1 KB ship attribute structures is a mere meg.

So, the question is: What is the heck is DW storing that SEV is not? We can reasonably consider DW and SEV to be games of comparable complexity. Heck, they share most of the same audience. I have seen these faces before. If you multiply SEV by a factor of 10, your computer does not dissolve into a fireball of flames. Why is that?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 18
RE: Issues with PRIVATE ships - 4/14/2010 10:45:02 PM   
Malevolence

quote:

So what all is it tracking? You've got a galaxy maybe only 10x the size of SEV's, but runs comfortably and never at any point threatens to blow out your RAM, even if you multiply by a factor of 10. A SEV save writes nearly instantly and spits out about 3 MBs of data. SEV planets and systems have a level of complexity comparable to that of DW's, if not more so: SEV planets can contain individual ground units and turrets that are hand-designed whereas a DW ground unit is simply a few numbers, probably ints, 4 bytes apieces. DW planets are just a population, a planetary type, and an broad environmental classification. It is safe to say that by any reasonable standard, a DW planet and colony is uncomplicated and far simpler than what you might encounter in any other game. A DW ship is not more complex than a SEV ship: Both are essentially lists of predefined components with damage values. In fact, SEV ships have far more attributes than any DW ship...but all these are just numerical values, small change. A thousand 1 KB ship attribute structures is a mere meg.

So, the question is: What is the heck is DW storing that SEV is not? We can reasonably consider DW and SEV to be games of comparable complexity. Heck, they share most of the same audience. I have seen these faces before. If you multiply SEV by a factor of 10, your computer does not dissolve into a fireball of flames. Why is that?

Well, SEV (of which I am a fan as well) does not track nearly as many commodities. I think for SEV it's three? Remind me about empire-to-empire trade in SEV. I really don't remember anymore, are they comparable? Maybe they are.

Also keep in mind that ships, ground units, and buildings in SEV are basically the same objects -- they have a common inheritance parent in their class tree. Whether you choose to put that base on top of a planet in DW or a building on a planet in SEV is an arbitrary design decision.

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 19
RE: Issues with PRIVATE ships - 4/14/2010 11:22:47 PM   
Ranbir

That's a lot of conjecture thrown there.

Post #: 20
RE: Issues with PRIVATE ships - 4/15/2010 12:05:47 AM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Interesting
AI dont using all the freighters cargo. Waste of cargo components.

This is your private economy at work - you have no control over them by design.

quote:

Not being able to retrofit private ships.

They will eventually retrofit themselves

quote:

Not being able to tell the AI to bring fuel where its needed. (research station near black hole had fuel, untill a ship refueled on it, and then the research got crippled, forever... and no freighter went there to refuel it, none of the over a hundred freighters.)

If you have energy collector components then your bases don't really need fuel. Your research station should still be working ok, generating research for your empire.

quote:

Not being able to change private ships combat strategy on the go. Its a pain to watch them do a bee line for the space creatures mouth.

Private ships should not be trying to fight space creatures. They should be trying to escape.

quote:

The private sector makes its own decisions in these areas. This is a fundamental design choice that minimizes your need for micromanagement.

quote:

Private ships entering enemy territory and getting annoying messages as if they were military.
Not being able to check easily what the Private ships are doing, why they are doing it, for how long will they do it, etc.

This is because you've decided to arm your civilian ships. In the upcoming patch this issue has been mitigated by allowing you to have some armament on those ships without causing offense to other empires.

(in reply to Interesting)
Post #: 21
RE: Issues with PRIVATE ships - 4/15/2010 12:09:57 AM   
elliotg

quote:

Personally, I am fine with the private sector doing its thing without any intervention from me, but occasionally, there are things I need done specifically, and it would be nice to be to perform some of these in an emergency, like pick up cargo on a ship with cargo bays and drop it someplace else in advance, when I am planning to do something unexpected and yesterday. I mean, obviously, it is unreasonable for the game to be able to anticipate the fact that you want a bajillion tons of whatzit delivered to a place that doesn't appear to need it, in advance, because you plan to start a major construction project, but it would be NICE to be able to transfer cargo manually, as construction ships and other such craft are often quite lazy about loading up with necessary supplies despite being given large cargo bays.

Note that you can influence how resources are distributed in some ways. When you build a space port at one of your colonies, the private sector will keep that colony and space port stocked with strategic resources required for building new ships.

Also, construction ships will load up the resources required for their current construction job. But if some of those resources do not exist at the space port where they are loading, then those resources will be delivered later by freighters, directly to the construction site.

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 22
RE: Issues with PRIVATE ships - 4/15/2010 12:11:23 AM   
elliotg

quote:

I don't think control of freight transport itself is needed, I just think it would be nice to be able to perform manual cargo loading on ships that have cargo bays. As it stands, cargo-loading on ships that consume cargo is not forward-thinking enough, and ships can end up with clogged cargo bays or empty cargo bays that fail to contain the supplies they need as a result, with the private sector not doing anything about it because it's mostly a state problem. For instance, if I want to build two stations, a constructor ship may fail to load sufficient supplies to actually accomplish this task, despite having plenty of space, simply because the computer has no way of forseeing that I wish to build a second station after the first one.

Yes, as noted above, construction ships only load the resources required for the current construction job. Each time you assign a new construction mission, they will first go to the nearest space port to load the resources, and then head off to the construction site to build the new base.

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 23
RE: Issues with PRIVATE ships - 4/15/2010 12:15:31 AM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joram
Like the rest, I have no desire to micromanage the private economy.  There are really only two things that I've noticed that bug me.  The inability to scrap my own private vessels.  I hate the constant whining when one gets damaged and keeps asking for repairs.  I just want to go and scrap it.  The other is not being able to declare systems out of bounds.  This is necessitated by the fact that the AI somehow quickly forgets that there are monsters or other hazards in an area and keeps sending ships to get gobbled up.  Annoying.

Having an option to scrap a damaged private ship is a good idea. I'll add that in.

quote:

Regarding directing them to specific resources, I would think the price of the good should be influential enough but perhaps they don't take that into consideration?  I guess I haven't had any resource issues to notice.  But regardless, it would be interesting to be able to put a bonus on a resource to help influence where the private sector goes.

Resource prices and your empire's demand are used extensively by the private economy to decide what should be mined. Influencing this by flagging a particular resource is an interesting idea. I'll put that on the list.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 24
RE: Issues with PRIVATE ships - 4/15/2010 12:21:27 AM   
Ranbir

Surely the private owner should be capable of repairing it himself at a space station?(if they are capable of getting a ship built without you having to sign off) The state controller need not be informed

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 25
RE: Issues with PRIVATE ships - 4/15/2010 12:30:53 AM   
elliotg

quote:

Actually, that would probably involve less processor than you'd think. I mean, this is what determines the behavior of ships in Space Rangers. But there is something massively inefficient about how DW is handling things. Massive quantities of RAMs are consumed by the universe, which does not seem to make much sense given that there is simply not that much data in the game that we can see, especially given how simple a DW colony appears to be: Population, development level. I remember a small "MMO" game where there were literally THOUSANDS of colonies, that I, personally, owned myself, and yet that game did not implode in a gigantic memory-consuming explosion of doom when the galaxy went from unpopulated tracts of barren wasteland to a populated galaxy consisting of thousands of colonized worlds, each with 120 manually placed turrets defending them. We're talking thousands of colonies with far more detail than any DW colony, and millions of units, albeit very simple ones, and the game didn't choke like DW.

In DW there's plenty of data to keep track of:
- each ship and base is made up of individual components that are tracked so that per-component construction and damage work properly.
- each ship, base and colony can contain cargo of various resources and components. Also various populations and troops
- every item is named - planets, moons, asteroids, stars, ships, bases, troops, intelligence agents, etc
- each of the tens of thousands of planets, moons and asteroids is in motion, it's location being constantly updated
- each empire must keep track of what it has and hasn't explored yet, down to individual planets, moons and asteroids
- a lot of different memory structures are required to maintain adequate performance of all of the above in real-time
- etc...

So needless to say, we don't use more memory than we need - but with a large living galaxy with this level of detail, it does need a fair amount of memory.

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 26
RE: Issues with PRIVATE ships - 4/15/2010 12:32:22 AM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranbir
Surely the private owner should be capable of repairing it himself at a space station?(if they are capable of getting a ship built without you having to sign off) The state controller need not be informed

If the ship can move (i.e. hyperdrive and engines undamaged) then they will automatically repair themselves. But when they are immobile then currently they need to be repaired by a construction ship

(in reply to Ranbir)
Post #: 27
RE: Issues with PRIVATE ships - 4/15/2010 1:56:57 AM   
Fishman

quote:

ORIGINAL: elliotg

In DW there's plenty of data to keep track of:
- each ship and base is made up of individual components that are tracked so that per-component construction and damage work properly.
No real change from SEV. SEV ships also all behave this way.

quote:

- each ship, base and colony can contain cargo of various resources and components. Also various populations and troops
Not significantly different from SEV. If anything, SEV ships are far more complex, as a piece of SEV cargo can itself be a unit, whereas in DW, a resource or component is totally generic.

quote:

- every item is named - planets, moons, asteroids, stars, ships, bases, troops, intelligence agents, etc
SEV items are also named, although names DO tend to be expensive in memory. Have you considered that individually naming an item in such a manner may be a massively inefficient use of memory, and given that most items are actually generically named, you could save a lot of memory by storing the name in a condensed form as references to a name table or not at all, if the player has not deigned to actually individually name the object?

quote:

- each of the tens of thousands of planets, moons and asteroids is in motion, it's location being constantly updated
Every SEV object also has a position. Being constantly updated is a processor cost, not a RAM cost.

quote:

- each empire must keep track of what it has and hasn't explored yet, down to individual planets, moons and asteroids
This characteristic is similarly shared by SEV.

quote:

- a lot of different memory structures are required to maintain adequate performance of all of the above in real-time
The structure of the data should not significantly alter its size. Even if the overhead is doubled because you're storing a pile of extra pointers as well as the actual data, and we say that this doubles your data size, it does not account for why SEV can save a massive, developed, and populated galaxy in a mere 3 MB and never threatens to explode from RAM usage, while DW chokes and dies before a standard galaxy is even fully populated.

quote:

So needless to say, we don't use more memory than we need - but with a large living galaxy with this level of detail, it does need a fair amount of memory.
Fair enough, but there is clearly something wrong with the memory usage of DW: If this wasn't true, why does the game run out of memory when I load a game, play, save, exit, go to the main menu, and attempt to load the game? By exiting to the main menu, I should have discarded every aspect of the game, restoring the game to the same state as when I first entered the main menu. Yet, the game will run out of memory when I attempt to reload the game, and I must restart it. That is a memory leak.

Also, please stop compressing the save file, or give us the option to disable. It takes FOREVER. Time is far more valuable than hard drive space. If I need it, I can RAR my own files. If you need to make a 2 GB RAM dump as your save, just do it, it would be much faster.

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 28
RE: Issues with PRIVATE ships - 4/15/2010 7:40:12 AM   
ceyan

Its been a while since I've played Space Empires V, but isn't it turn-based? Even with my extremely basic knowledge of programming I can recognize the enormous savings in power/memory by only having to process/store/retrieve data on an periodic basis. And SEV doesn't have to worry about dynamic missions assignments/tracking/status for hundreds/thousands of ships at once, just to give one big difference. Just imagine what's involved in that...

On top of that, do SEV planets and what not shift? I don't remember them doing that, but I wouldn't be surprised. If not, that is another big difference in processor/memory usage. SEV doesn't have to track empty space, since each systems is directly connected to its partners through a small number of wormholes/jump points. I also never played a game that got anywhere near Distant World's number of systems/planets/moons/etc... Not to say it couldn't, but I would have to imagine it would get bogged down as well.

Also, exploration between SEV and Distant Worlds is so different I can't believe anyone could compare. Both SEV and Distant Worlds (I imagine, I haven't played Distant Worlds enough to state for sure) have three known conditions. Unknown, known under fog of war, and known. SEV has that for individual hexes, totaling up what? 100,000 hexes (actually that's probably insanely over-estimated, each system has the exact number of hexes, probably something like 50-100 tops, so how many system are in a large game?) on a enormous map with completely static conditions? Distant Worlds on the other hand gets really low with its positional unit, and it has to track that condition for each unit across the entire map on an almost constant basis. Yeah... they're close enough to compare. About as close as Earth and the Moon are to each other...

Finally, data structures between real time and turn based environments (again, going on my limited programming experience) are probably significantly different.

Edit:
I'm not qualified to speak as to whether DW could do better or not, but saying DW is deficient because SEV performs better is... just plain ludicrous.

< Message edited by ceyan -- 4/15/2010 7:45:55 AM >

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 29
RE: Issues with PRIVATE ships - 4/15/2010 9:16:21 AM   
Fishman

quote:

ORIGINAL: ceyan

Its been a while since I've played Space Empires V, but isn't it turn-based? Even with my extremely basic knowledge of programming I can recognize the enormous savings in power/memory by only having to process/store/retrieve data on an periodic basis.
Savings in power, yes. Savings in memory, no. Data stored must be stored regardless of how often it will be accessed. The memory cost of storing an objects coordinates is the same regardless of whether the object exists in a turn-based environment or moves in real-time. In fact, internally, a "real-time" game is really just a turn-based game with very short turns.

quote:

And SEV doesn't have to worry about dynamic missions assignments/tracking/status for hundreds/thousands of ships at once, just to give one big difference. Just imagine what's involved in that...
Does, actually. SEV ships also can be automated and given missions. In fact, missions for SEV ships can be queued with far more elaborateness than DW ships, which frankly, have rather short attention spans.

quote:

On top of that, do SEV planets and what not shift? I don't remember them doing that, but I wouldn't be surprised.
SEV planets do not move, but motion is not memory-intensive. A complex moving object would only use a few more bytes more of memory to record its velocity in addition to its position. A DW planet is not a complex moving object, as it simply moves on a railtrack. Given that, its position on the railtrack becomes a simple mathematical equation determined by its initial starting position and track, which would have been stored anyway, and the present time. This carries little to no additional memory cost.

quote:

If not, that is another big difference in processor/memory usage.
Processor usage is irrelevant to the discussion of memory usage. It should be obvious DW will use up far more CPU than SEV will, but CPU use is not memory use: The two are independent and unrelated resource expenditures.

quote:

SEV doesn't have to track empty space, since each systems is directly connected to its partners through a small number of wormholes/jump points.
Tracking "empty space" never happens in ANY game. "Empty space" is just that: Void. Space of any form is practically never tracked. Objects are tracked, and objects, whether they move according to a fixed grid of wormholes and jump points, or whether their coordinates are arbitrarily, still have coordinates, and those coordinates consume roughly the same amount of memory regardless of the mode by which they move.

quote:

I also never played a game that got anywhere near Distant World's number of systems/planets/moons/etc... Not to say it couldn't, but I would have to imagine it would get bogged down as well.
Of older games, the Elite series had far more systems, planets, and moons than DW, and of newer games, Spore's planetary behavior can be considered to be of comparable magnitude. Neither game threatens to blow out your RAM under normal conditions.

quote:

Also, exploration between SEV and Distant Worlds is so different I can't believe anyone could compare. Both SEV and Distant Worlds (I imagine, I haven't played Distant Worlds enough to state for sure) have three known conditions. Unknown, known under fog of war, and known.
Unknownness in SEV is nearly identical to DW: An unknown area displays no information about planets or contents and the only thing you know about it is that it exists. Exploredness is therefore covered in a single bit, not even an entire byte, per object, per empire. Very small. Knowledgeness costs slightly more: Each empire needs a "knowledge" of a possibly dynamic object such as a planet, but the amount of variable information we ever get to know in any event is very small: Owner, population. Few bytes per object per empire. Tiny.

quote:

SEV has that for individual hexes, totaling up what? 100,000 hexes (actually that's probably insanely over-estimated, each system has the exact number of hexes, probably something like 50-100 tops, so how many system are in a large game?) on a enormous map with completely static conditions? Distant Worlds on the other hand gets really low with its positional unit, and it has to track that condition for each unit across the entire map on an almost constant basis.
Again, this is not a memory-intensive activity. To track the visibility state of a dynamically moving object is a simple matter of a point-circle collision detection test. This is a well understood problem implemented many times that has numerous optimizations, none of which are memory intensive, and the primary cost of such an operation is borne by the CPU, not your RAM.

quote:

Finally, data structures between real time and turn based environments (again, going on my limited programming experience) are probably significantly different.
They are not that significantly different. Ultimately, the data's STRUCTURE is less relevant to the issue than its MASS. Whether you store the data as an n-ary tree, a linked list, or an array, has little real effect on its SIZE, merely the speed and convenience at which it can be accessed. At worst, a memory-inefficient datastructure optimized for speed wastes a few more bytes to store pointers to related objects to enable them to be accessed quickly without searching. If every object wastes an additional kb in pointers over and above everything else, which frankly, is a ridiculously extravagant waste, and there on the order of hundreds of thousands of objects in the game, you waste about a hundred megs.

quote:

I'm not qualified to speak as to whether DW could do better or not, but saying DW is deficient because SEV performs better is... just plain ludicrous.
And here's the rub: You're not qualified. But I am. Unless there is a lot of hidden data somewhere, even very generous data accounting does not yield the numbers that explain where all the RAM is going. Additionally, the game's own behaviors indicate that things are going wrong internally and that data structures are being needlessly duplicated, or allocated and then lost in the ether, lingering around chewing up RAM forever. Here's an example of something going wrong: When I open up the editor and try to spawn a pirate ship, one of the classes of pirate ship I can spawn is a class of ship that I designed for my own empire, because pirates clone your empire's designs. However, that class of ship is listed, not once, but up to a half dozen times in duplication. Why is an apparently identical object being duplicated up to 6 times on a list? Not a clue, but that can't be a good sign. Perhaps they are even multiplying. This cannot be good.

Another very apparent sign that something is WRONG is that when you are playing a game, you save it, you exit to the main menu (which should destroy the game), and then reload it, the game runs out of RAM. If I reboot the game by closing it and restarting it, the game will load fine. Why? I terminated the previous game, and am at the main menu, so the game's state should be the same as when I just started the game. This is clear, incontrovertible evidence that data structures are being created, orphaned, and then lost, never being deallocated properly: A memory leak. In short, there is no reason for DW to chew up the amount of RAM it does and the behavior it exhibits clearly indicates that either memory management bugs, faulty data structure design, or both, are in play.

(in reply to ceyan)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Issues with PRIVATE ships Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI