Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ground Combat

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Ground Combat Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ground Combat - 5/20/2010 12:59:46 PM   
deanco2

1. This is gonna sound juvenile, but I don't care. I want to see the little guys shooting at each other. As it stands, ground combat consists of watching little pastries (that's what they look like, shrunk down so small, the default icons) fill up a bar, then disappear one by one. A dryer affair, I can't imagine. A spreadsheet would be positively exciting compared to it. No feedback whatsoever.

Give us a Battle Screen, with 2D sprites that don't look like pastries, that explode when dead, and slap a planet background on there, and I'll be happy. If MoO 1 could do it, so can you. You could also profit from that screen to put the troops readiness, experience, any militia troops present, and base strength, over each troop, to help us understand why the battle was won or lost.

2. As far as I can tell, there is no way to get better troops through tech, is that right? I'm reading the manual on it, and I don't see any mention. I dunno, perhaps they could get stronger with every breakthrough in lasers, armor, and force fields? Heck, a whole 'troop' branch of the tech tree with it's own discoveries would be cool, and would allow the player to crash research and research base his way to stronger troops. At any rate, the higher tech civ should have an advantage over lower tech in ground combat, one would think.

3. ?
Post #: 1
RE: Ground Combat - 5/20/2010 2:12:49 PM   
Astax

Yes ground combat needs a bit love. But have you tried the troop icons mod? It's fabulous!  Also your troops do get stronger with fighting!  And soem races excel in combat from the start.

I wouldnt go so far as to demand a screen of shooting stuff. Once you have the troop icons it is not so bad to watch the invasion :)  Since the units actually are different.

(in reply to deanco2)
Post #: 2
RE: Ground Combat - 5/20/2010 2:20:04 PM   
Bartje

Perhaps just an interactive organised back drop? Something that changes as the battles are fought? Something dynamic yet not really graphic intensive?

(in reply to Astax)
Post #: 3
RE: Ground Combat - 5/20/2010 5:37:46 PM   
ASHBERY76

A screen size like the EU3 combat one would be nice and not break the real time flow.

(in reply to Bartje)
Post #: 4
RE: Ground Combat - 5/20/2010 6:05:27 PM   
Bartje

Yeah that would be awesome although they should use better graphics.

EU3 has such ugly looking and depersonal images.

DW deserves better style!

< Message edited by Bartje -- 5/20/2010 6:06:41 PM >

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 5
RE: Ground Combat - 5/20/2010 6:12:20 PM   
Bartje

I like the Galciv 2 system as well by the way.

Notice how they have the ability to use space forces & other strategies such as mass drivers to influence combat?

That seems very plausible and with the possible inclusion of fighters would give those a reason to participate in planet invasion as well!

< Message edited by Bartje -- 5/20/2010 6:13:29 PM >

(in reply to Bartje)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Ground Combat Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI