Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Gil....any chance of this?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword >> Gil....any chance of this? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gil....any chance of this? - 4/25/2010 7:07:52 PM   
wodin

Gil...your very busy by the sounds of it...I know its some peoples idea of a non starter but I still think a turn based tactical WW1 game has a market and could work out. I've read enough books now to know a tactical game could work by either keeping the hex's small or having a full on frontline like the whole of the Somme for the somme battle...you could get some great atmospheric graphics going aswell for a WW1 game...

Anyway maybe if lots say yes then you might consider it...

Post #: 1
RE: Gil....any chance of this? - 4/25/2010 9:01:10 PM   
patchogue

There are plenty of tactical fights in WW1 - even at the Somme after day one! The dawn attack in mid-July and the first tank battles plus stormtroopers and trench raids. In many ways the tactical would be more interesting that the strategic and operational. Mind you modelling the orders delay and artillery coordination would be tricky. Maybe you would have to plan the artillery before the battle starts.

"It takes three years to build a ship, it takes three centuries to build a tradition"
Admiral Andrew Cunningham

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2
RE: Gil....any chance of this? - 4/26/2010 7:00:12 AM   
Gil R.

It's something we can consider. The concerns, from a business perspective, involve whether the sales would make it worthwhile. Doing BAB has relatively low overhead for us because 1) we already had an elaborate Civil War engine and only needed to make the changes involved with bringing it down to a regimental level, add PBEM, and do a few other things, in terms of coding, and 2) since we already had the work-intensive unit graphics the only significant new graphics are the maps. In terms of hours, the greatest amount of work has actually been research into OOB's and maps. For a WWI (or WWII) game involving this engine we would have to make countless major changes to have the units fight like WWI soldiers in terms of tactics and to have tanks and grenades and all that stuff function properly, AND we would have to create a whole set of unit sprites, which is a few months' worth of work. So without even including the historical research, we're probably talking a good six months at the very least. Now, for a WWII game it would be worth it, since WWII always sells, but it's uncertain whether a WWI game would have enough buyers.

We'd certainly welcome hearing from others on his matter.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 3
RE: Gil....any chance of this? - 4/26/2010 11:44:40 AM   
elmo3

I'd much rather you use the time to focus on releasing more Civil War battles than putting all that effort into WWI/II.  If there is a market for a WWI/II tactical game then writing it from scratch rather than trying to adapt this code would probably make more sense.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 4
RE: Gil....any chance of this? - 4/26/2010 1:10:50 PM   
wodin

To many WW2 games out there already....seems like there are a fair few Civil War games aswell....though I most likely will buy this one as its purely tactical. So yes concentrate on your big sellers....maybe check the interest in WW1...get those on the forums to help with historical research...I'm up for it anyway...I'm sure those who bought WW1 le grand guerre and Guns of August would be interested...also whenever a Squad Battles WW1 game is mentioned there is big interest...though I think at your scale it would be far better...anyway I can only sit in hope...

Gil...just like to say you and I'd say Dave at panther games are the two developers that seem to really care about your customers and their wish's...its a breath of fresh air...for this alone I will buy BaB...

< Message edited by wodin -- 4/26/2010 1:14:23 PM >

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 5
RE: Gil....any chance of this? - 5/1/2010 2:53:53 PM   
MajFrankBurns

Forget WWI and WWII lets go back in time to Rome vs the world or Greeks vs Persians? I wait with baited breath (yeah it might smell a bit like anchovies) for you to take this engine to Ancient periods of time. This engine would slaughter the likes of the Total Wars and the Field of Glory and even the Tin Soldiers and HPS games of the like. Please Please Please Please Please?

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 6
RE: Gil....any chance of this? - 5/1/2010 4:27:14 PM   
wodin

Every time I start a thread addressed to the developer on what I'd like others come in to dismiss it....hate it when that happens...I wish they would start their own thread...or if you want the same post here.

Besides there are plenty of Ancient games out there not many WW1.

So you already have alot of games to choose from I don't.

(in reply to MajFrankBurns)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword >> Gil....any chance of this? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI