Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Where can I see my colony's development?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Where can I see my colony's development? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Where can I see my colony's development? - 5/2/2010 9:20:28 PM   
pcall

Hi,

I just started playing this great game, and it's actually my first 4x game that I played. I saw another gaming forum talk about this game, and I decided to buy it. I'm glad I did.

Also it's suggested that I have at least 10 luxury resources given to my colony. How do I do this exactly? Sorry for such a newb question, but I am quite new to these types of games.

Finally, does anyone else love the musical score as much as I do?
Post #: 1
RE: Where can I see my colony's development? - 5/2/2010 9:27:46 PM   
lostsm

use the expansion planner to send mining ships to luxuries. you can see a lot in the expansion planner

the music is okay. i dont listen to it anymore. i'm curious as to why music slider to the leftmost mutes it, but effects slider to the leftmost i still hear click and selection confirmation sound effects

(in reply to pcall)
Post #: 2
RE: Where can I see my colony's development? - 5/2/2010 9:44:05 PM   
pcall

quote:

ORIGINAL: lostsm

use the expansion planner to send mining ships to luxuries. you can see a lot in the expansion planner

the music is okay. i dont listen to it anymore. i'm curious as to why music slider to the leftmost mutes it, but effects slider to the leftmost i still hear click and selection confirmation sound effects

Do the mining ships have to be built or associated with the colony?

Also where do I find a colony's development score? Thanks for the help!

(in reply to lostsm)
Post #: 3
RE: Where can I see my colony's development? - 5/2/2010 9:51:16 PM   
lostsm

have you used the expansion planner at all? you only need to select the ship and planet with a resource and send the ship away

and to be specific it is a constructor ship, and that will build a mining base. mining ships are different and can't be controlled

as for colonies.. check the colonies screen (F4) of course!

(in reply to pcall)
Post #: 4
RE: Where can I see my colony's development? - 5/2/2010 10:28:20 PM   
pcall

Yeah I looked at the expansion planner. Though actually my colonization right now is fully automated it turns out, which means I don't need to worry right?

>as for colonies.. check the colonies screen (F4) of course!

I did, I can't find development anywhere!

(in reply to lostsm)
Post #: 5
RE: Where can I see my colony's development? - 5/2/2010 10:42:58 PM   
Munchies

right now your "colony development" is automated and only shown as the culture %.

At least I assume that is what you talk about. At 100% culture, your colony is fully developed and happy. Just need to fill it up with people.

(in reply to pcall)
Post #: 6
RE: Where can I see my colony's development? - 5/2/2010 11:44:39 PM   
pcall

quote:

ORIGINAL: Munchies

right now your "colony development" is automated and only shown as the culture %.

At least I assume that is what you talk about. At 100% culture, your colony is fully developed and happy. Just need to fill it up with people.

Well galactopedia doesn't call it "culture", they call it "development" and if it reaches 100% your colony is in solid shape. It suggests having 10 luxury resources mine in order to achieve this.

Edit: Munchies, you 420 friendly?

(in reply to Munchies)
Post #: 7
RE: Where can I see my colony's development? - 5/3/2010 8:29:26 AM   
taltamir

mining ships build by themselves as long as there is a design, its a civilian craft... mining ships are the least effective way to get a resource... the most effective way is to colonize a planet with it. The following way is to build a mining station (always mines, and then freighters pick it up)...

culture = development. you can see a colony development by hovering on it and looking the bar thing (it fills up vertically for development and horizontally for population).
starting with v1.04 50% of development is due to population and 50% from luxury resources (100% luxury wasn't working too well)....
i recommend you play 1.0.4.4 (beta 4 of 1.04), earlier betas were very buggy, but 1.04 is actually more stable then 1.03 and solves a plethora of problems. or wait for 1.04 final later this week which solves even more.

As far as getting resources... use the expansion planner, it shows the resources on each planet via pictures (and name if you hover) and your empire demand, sources, etc... learn those by heart, go for the rarest luxury resources first, followed by less rare, and aim for a good variety of luxury resources.

I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.

(in reply to pcall)
Post #: 8
RE: Where can I see my colony's development? - 5/3/2010 12:11:53 PM   
pcall

Now will freighters from the private sector pick up resources from the mining station as long as a ship design is established?

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 9
RE: Where can I see my colony's development? - 5/3/2010 12:23:07 PM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: pcall

Now will freighters from the private sector pick up resources from the mining station as long as a ship design is established?

Yes. Although, even if you don't have any current freighter design your existing freighters will continue to puck up resources...
You need a freighter design for them to be built by the private sector.

(in reply to pcall)
Post #: 10
RE: Where can I see my colony's development? - 5/3/2010 12:50:32 PM   
pcall

If I discover an abandoned ship in space and I want to learn about its technology, should I have it retired or retrofitted?

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 11
RE: Where can I see my colony's development? - 5/3/2010 12:57:36 PM   
taltamir

retired...
retrofit means upgrade to a new design, it doesn't give any tech.

Also, it must be retired at nearest starport... retiring immediately will just delete it with no bonus.

(in reply to pcall)
Post #: 12
RE: Where can I see my colony's development? - 5/3/2010 1:06:01 PM   
pcall

quote:

you can see a colony development by hovering on it and looking the bar thing (it fills up vertically for development and horizontally for population).

I hovered over a colony and I didn't see this. Is this in the beta patch? I'm using the latest official patch.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 13
RE: Where can I see my colony's development? - 5/3/2010 1:19:53 PM   
taltamir

quote:

quote:

you can see a colony development by hovering on it and looking the bar thing (it fills up vertically for development and horizontally for population).

I hovered over a colony and I didn't see this. Is this in the beta patch? I'm using the latest official patch.

it was there since version 1, it is explained in the tutorial.
I was wrong about having to hover, it is shown always.

A = The vertical bar is development, the horizontal population. Vertical is out of 100, but some can go above 100 (which has no visible representation). I am not sure what the population is out of, its not % because some worlds cannot go over 4 out of 5 bars. Also there is a picture of the dominant race.

B = Click this button to see a list of your planets, there you can find any planet and its development is listed under culture.

C = The name of the planet, double click it to open the same window B does, but it automatically "finds" the specific planet and selects it.

D = The development level of the colony. In this case, 130%

Right above D is the population of the 2 most common races on the planet btw... which is only showing humans in this case because it is an all human planet.

(in reply to pcall)
Post #: 14
RE: Where can I see my colony's development? - 5/3/2010 4:11:17 PM   
pcall

Thanks! The screenshot clears up a lot of confusion! I do appreciate the effort you put forward to help.

Now I noticed that my colony ship can colonize Volcanic planets even though it says I can only colonize continental planets. Why is that exactly?

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 15
RE: Where can I see my colony's development? - 5/3/2010 4:50:25 PM   
Munchies

It can colonize volcanic worlds if it was made at a planet with a race that can colonize those types. Or you found an abandoned colony ship with a different race in stasis.

So if you have a planet with Boskara colonists on it for example, you will be able to colonize volcanic worlds if the colony ship was made there.

(in reply to pcall)
Post #: 16
RE: Where can I see my colony's development? - 5/3/2010 8:58:23 PM   
taltamir

quote:

Thanks! The screenshot clears up a lot of confusion! I do appreciate the effort you put forward to help.

Now I noticed that my colony ship can colonize Volcanic planets even though it says I can only colonize continental planets. Why is that exactly?

the colony ships come in 3 tech levels:
1. Continental planets
2. Continental and desert planets
3. Continental and desert and marshy swamps...

however, some races have the unique ability to colonize ice planets, ocean planets, or volcanic planets... some races also can colonize desert planets or marsh swamp planets without the need for the higher level colonization tech.

this makes it a priority to conquer a planet with a race that gives you the ability to colonize new types of planets.

(in reply to pcall)
Post #: 17
RE: Where can I see my colony's development? - 5/3/2010 10:12:12 PM   
Munchies

Hmm, I never payed much attention to it, but when you build a colony ship (on a newly gotten insect colony for example) does it take away the 10 million or so colonist from the planet population?

Will certainly slow down the colonizing of those volcanoes/oceans with a newly acquired race in the empire.

Will try it out and see.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 18
RE: Where can I see my colony's development? - 5/4/2010 11:37:58 PM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Munchies

Hmm, I never payed much attention to it, but when you build a colony ship (on a newly gotten insect colony for example) does it take away the 10 million or so colonist from the planet population?

nope, it clones a fresh batch of colonists, of the same race as the largest population on the planet.

(in reply to Munchies)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Where can I see my colony's development? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI