Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Whats the dumbest thing you ever did in DW?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Whats the dumbest thing you ever did in DW? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Whats the dumbest thing you ever did in DW? - 6/29/2010 11:33:52 PM   
WoodMan

lol, thought I'd start a funny thread because I just did something hilariously dumb in my current game.

So I'm at war with the Naxxilians who started in the same system as me, I've managed to wipe out everything they have except their home planet, which I have blockaded. Unfortunately they seem to be able to recruit troops as fast as me and seeing as I only have two colonies, one of which is rebelling because they are in awe of the Naxx homeworld, its like a neverending war which I can't win. So I accept their offer of peace. Next comes the dumb bit...

After peace is declared I start a trade negotiation, seeing as they are in a weak position I ask for all of their technology and all of their cash, accept or I declare war is the only thing I offer in return. I click and they Accept, woohoo I think, until I notice my treasury has gone down to 1... I accidently gave them all my tech and all my cash, lol.

So whats the dumbest thing you have done? Can you top the above?
Post #: 1
RE: Whats the dumbest thing you ever did in DW? - 6/30/2010 12:18:36 AM   
lordxorn

Um I have lost a couple constructors to a BH, which pales in comparison to your Blunder. 

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 2
RE: Whats the dumbest thing you ever did in DW? - 6/30/2010 11:32:42 AM   
sbach2o

quote:

ORIGINAL: WoodMan
[...] I click and they Accept, woohoo I think, until I notice my treasury has gone down to 1... I accidently gave them all my tech and all my cash, lol.

So whats the dumbest thing you have done? Can you top the above?

I can't remotely top it, but I did a similar blunder only less severe and the game really invites this sort of thing:

I had imposed trade sanctions on a rival empire because I wanted to pressure them into war without declaring the war outright myself. I had some hope that being on the receiving end of a war declaration would have a lesser effect on reputation, an area in which I was a bit struggling at the time.

Later came a diplomatic proposal regarding a 'lift of trade sanctions' in exchange for a colony. I clicked 'yes' without much thinking. What's better than to receive a colony for essentially free, as I could impose trade sanction again?

It turned out the actual exchange was one of *my* colonies in a disputed system (I had created that expressly to increase the strain on relations) for *them* lifting trade sanctions.

How the heck can these bastards lift my trade sanctions? This is really a design flaw. Once trade sanctions are in effect the game seems to treat them symmetrical instead of remembering who imposed them and who is on the receiving end. There is a hole in the diplomatic system that I didn't suspect. Me fuming.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 3
RE: Whats the dumbest thing you ever did in DW? - 6/30/2010 11:45:05 AM   
Sinnari

Yep, I have lost one constructor to a black hole too, since the recommendation on building research bases is vague.

The real dumb thing that I did - I have created a powerful warship design with beams, missiles and areal weapons. Then I have built lots of them and was heavily relying on these fleets. It was kinda shocking for mee seeing that these ships damage each other with the areal weapons more than they damage enemy )))

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 4
RE: Whats the dumbest thing you ever did in DW? - 6/30/2010 12:07:08 PM   
WoodMan

lol, this is a classic too

Only thing I can think why they would bargain to lift the Sanctions in exchange for one of your planets is that you declared the sanctions against an Empire which you benefit more from their trade than they do from yours.

Like in war they won't give up the war often if they are in the stronger position, even if they didn't start it, I guess the same works for Trade Sanctions. Maybe if you persuade other Empires to Sanction them too they would break easier in negotiations.

(in reply to sbach2o)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Whats the dumbest thing you ever did in DW? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI