Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

So, I think I have finally understood the appeal of operational wargames...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> So, I think I have finally understood the appeal of operational wargames... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
So, I think I have finally understood the appeal of ope... - 7/23/2010 3:09:22 AM   
Perturabo

So, I started playing Fire-brigade recently and I couldn't understand the appeal of operational wargames. After playing the tutorial scenario (and losing/getting a draw) several times, I think I finally got it.
It's all about the challenge, about trying to win, isn't it?

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.
Post #: 1
RE: So, I think I have finally understood the appeal of... - 7/23/2010 3:16:42 AM   
junk2drive

It's rock paper scissors with a limit on the number of rocks.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 2
RE: So, I think I have finally understood the appeal of... - 7/23/2010 3:53:20 AM   
sabre1

Is Fire Brigade a legitimate download?

This is the Panther Game right?

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 3
RE: So, I think I have finally understood the appeal of... - 7/23/2010 5:24:13 AM   
madgamer2

I wonder what this guy is using for a system...IO mean Fire brigade was a great game but it goes back to DOS , right? maybe he is using DOSBOX or some such thing.

Madgamer

If your not part of the solution
You are part of the problem

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 4
RE: So, I think I have finally understood the appeal of... - 7/23/2010 4:40:49 PM   
Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: sabre1

Is Fire Brigade a legitimate download?

This is the Panther Game right?

I bought a full version. As for legitimacy - abandonware isn't a legal concept. Anyway, downloading these kind of games is not worth it as usually they require reading a manual.

quote:

ORIGINAL: madgamer

I wonder what this guy is using for a system...IO mean Fire brigade was a great game but it goes back to DOS , right? maybe he is using DOSBOX or some such thing.

Madgamer

I'm using Dosbox.

They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 5
RE: So, I think I have finally understood the appeal of... - 7/23/2010 4:55:37 PM   
sabre1

Where do you buy a version of Fire Brigade?

Thanks!

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 6
RE: So, I think I have finally understood the appeal of... - 7/23/2010 7:03:48 PM   
Perturabo

Ebay or dedicated vintage game stores, like this one.

It seems that there are two different versions of the game, though. One has a colour manual and scenario booklet and the other one has black and white.

< Message edited by Perturabo -- 7/23/2010 7:06:02 PM >

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 7
RE: So, I think I have finally understood the appeal of... - 7/23/2010 8:16:09 PM   
madgamer2

I did not mean to imply that there was any wrong doing but I loved that game and have a copy on 5 1'4 floppy disksomewhere. I have a second system beside my win 7 Pro that has XP Pro and could run some of the old games and was just wondering where you got it from. It was the first real game of its kind and played very well even against the AI as I recall.
If you like real good navel ga,es on the tactical scale and find a download for a game called Action Stations you might try it. I bought it when first released and had several phone calls to the designer who was a great guy.
He e sold the sales rights to a company called RAW entertainment and that was the last I heard of it.

Madgamer

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 8
RE: So, I think I have finally understood the appeal of... - 7/23/2010 11:32:55 PM   
sabre1

Action Stations was the best tactical Naval Game ever IMHO. The original designer was a top notch guy. Funny, I remember RAW Entertainment.

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 9
RE: So, I think I have finally understood the appeal of... - 7/23/2010 11:57:41 PM   
madgamer2

I still have the game on 3.5" disks. I wonder if I got DOSBOX on my XP Pro backup system I could install the game. It was not much on graphics (it used the standard navel plotting code) but what a great AI! do you think it would workthis way?

Madgamer

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 10
RE: So, I think I have finally understood the appeal of... - 7/24/2010 12:00:04 AM   
Perturabo

I that almost every DOS game works on Dosbox nowadays.

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 11
RE: So, I think I have finally understood the appeal of... - 7/25/2010 6:45:10 PM   
sabre1

I wonder if Panther Games still owns the rights to Fire Brigade, and if so, just add Dosbox to it like GOG does, bundle it iwith BFTB as a bounus.

Kind of like what SSG did with TAO.

Just my 2 cents worth, and it isn't even worth that much.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 12
RE: So, I think I have finally understood the appeal of... - 7/26/2010 3:42:12 PM   
SlickWilhelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: sabre1

Where do you buy a version of Fire Brigade?

Thanks!

Here's one: http://www.oldgames.nu/Fire_Brigade_The_Battle_for_Kiev_1943/Fire_Brigade_The_Battle_for_Kiev_1943/3351/

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 13
RE: So, I think I have finally understood the appeal of... - 7/27/2010 5:21:22 AM   
sabre1

Thanks Slick Wilhelm!

(in reply to SlickWilhelm)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> So, I think I have finally understood the appeal of operational wargames... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI